The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Joint IM Injections - Keep on supplements too?

I have just started my horse on Pentosan. He has also been on SmartFlex Senior for 2 months and I have another 1 1/2 months worth to go through. I'm struggling to decide if I should order more. I'd really like to cut down on cost...but also want to give my horse the best chance for success.

Do you do both oral and IM? Why or why not?

I have done both oral and IM, as well as joint injections. It's generally a progressive process to me, where they're usually on the oral supplements as soon as they are in serious work as a preventative if nothing else, and then the IM may be added if they're stiff, and then injections would be the last step. I would hope the effect is somewhat cumulative, so that for example by continuing IM injections after getting the joints injected you prolong the time between injections. If you are getting really good results with the Pentosan, you might try taking him off the oral supplement prior to running out. That way if when you take him off the oral he backslides, you have some on hand to start him back on.

I just made this exact same decision. My smartpak was smart senior and tri-amino. I took him off it and noticed no change in how he was moving and feeling but he lost weight. It wasn't something anyone else would notice but I could see it. He is 24 years old so weight is not something to play around with at that age so I put him back on the smartpaks. If I were smarter I would have added them back one thing at a time instead of both but I didn't think about that in time. So give it a try and see what happens.

I'd talk to your vet.

You want to make sure that you don't have an "conflicts" between what is prescribed and what you buy "over the counter."

I just had the fetlock injected on my mare. I don't use supplements (the only one with any science behind it is Cosequin and I prefer using Adequan if I need that sort of thing). I asked about using Adequan and was advised that it was perfectly OK and probably would be a Good Thing. My guess is that you'd get the same answer for Cosequin.

As for what you buy at the Co-Op, feed store, or TSC? IMO they are more designed to perform a walletectomy on you than improve the heath of your horse. Put another way, I don't frequent medicine shows (no matter how cute the hootchie-cootchie dancer ).

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

There's a difference in what Pentosan & HA (oral or injected) does. HA is even more important to older horses, who have thinner cartilage. My guess is that he will get a little stiff if you pull him off the supplement - although you could always give it a try & see. If he does get stiff, you could replace that supplement with a less expensive HA supplement (Flex Force, for example).
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

I never felt that orals made any difference in my horse, in terms of joints. Pentosan, on the other hand, has definitely helped, along with other therapies (including joint injections).

I think its hard to generalize though, since it can vary a lot by horse depending on way too many factors! If I were you, I would just try to remove the supplements, see if you feel a difference. If you do, then add the supplements back in.

Depends on where you prefer to disperse your disposable income.
    Click here before you buy.

I use both a daily supplement and Adequan on my dressage horse. There was a research study that showed horses on a daily supplement required fewer joint injections, I will try to find it.

ETA: Found it: " A study by Martha Rodgers that appeared in Intern J Appl Res Vet Med. Vol 4, No 2, 2006, pp155-162 concluded that “consistent use of an oral glucosamine/chondroitin supplement resulted in a decreased need for distal tarsal joint injections to maintain soundness in a group of show hunters/jumpers.”
    Last edited by Rikerkv6; Jul. 30, 2012 at 04:26 PM.