The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Questions About George Morris

So, I have found out that there will be a GM clinic about an hour from where we are. I LOVE him like most people, but don't know about letting DD attend this. I live in Canada, so this is a pretty big deal and I don't know if this will happen again. My DD is on the fence about going, and I was wondering a few things myself.

1. What level of riding does the kid need to be at? She is currently showing the Childrens on the A's, and always gets something every weekend, though it's not consistent. As in, last show she got nothing in her division, but won her medal. Or she was 5th and 6th over fences the weeks before in Childrens, and nothing in medal or eq. Sometimes she wins the Equ and nothing in the hunters! Is she going to be torn apart? I think that she will walk away a better rider regardless, but her tweenage confidence isn't worth it if he's going to rip her to peices. There is a group available for 'green horses and riders' that wont exceed 3 foot, which is what I was thinking of putting her in(she's been riding for 4 years, jumping 2).

2. If we do go, what kind out turnout is expected? I was thinking clean polished horse, with show tack and the Kid in show breeches and a polo w/ v-neck sweater? Do we need to braid?

Kid is the type of kid who put's out 110% all the time, lives to ride, and always looking to do better. Horse is a pretty good jumper, and but not a good mover. Would it help if I posted a video/picture of them?

Please help me out with this, and please be honest to whether or not we should go.

PS: I won't make the desision for her, but I would like to make a better educated suggestion, which is why I'm posting this.

Thank you very much in advance!!
    Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, your right. - Henry Ford
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Denial is delightful.

#2 sounds good to me based on what I've seen from videos that folks have posted of their own clinics with GM.

As for #1, that another question. In reading a lot of posts about GM, he gets really frustrated when he thinks that people aren't listening to him. Yes he does send zingers in these cases "you are as dumb as a traffic cone!!" and sometimes makes "dumb blonde" jokes.

If your daughter is looking to learn something that will help her move up the levels or improve her status where she is, I think it would be worth it. She will need a thick skin though. If you think she is not likely to be intimidated or get nervous then I'd say go for it. On the other hand if snarky remarks are going to undermine her confidance and set her back, then don't do it.

I have always thought GM made his remarks at people he didn't feel were trying. If your daughter wants to go and understands his "style" of teaching then it would be a great opportunity for her.

Be in shape, listen well, try hard, be neat and clean. And don't let a possible harsh remark throw your focus. That's what people do sometimes in their methods of training... and in life.

He is hard to hear when he talks so sharpen up the ears. and have fun.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

If your daughter tries her best and always gives 110% as you say, she should be ok, assuming she is in the appropriate group for her level of riding, which it seems she will be. Just let her know in advance that GM sometimes makes snarky remarks.

BTW, a good idea to read his book before the clinic so DD is very familiar with GM's teaching, also be sure to bring stick and spurs to the ring with her even if she doesn't usually use them, be immaculately turned out (no need to braid) and be familiar with all aspects of her horse's care (what kind of feed he eats, how he is shod, etc.), just in case. And no chatting during the lesson, if she is not the one who is currently riding she should be watching the one who is, and listening to GM, not gazing off into space or chatting on her cell as I see some kids doing in clinics.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    If your daughter is looking to learn something that will help her move up the levels or improve her status where she is, I think it would be worth it. She will need a thick skin though. If you think she is not likely to be intimidated or get nervous then I'd say go for it. On the other hand if snarky remarks are going to undermine her confidance and set her back, then don't do it.
    This is what I'm worried about. She can handle snide remarks, which I'm sure he will make, and I know they won't be from not listening. I'm just worried that her riding won't be up to par enough, and he will REALLY go to town on her. Do you think he will?
    Denial is delightful.

Why not call the clinic organizer and discuss the groups and your daughter's riding, to see if there is a group suitable for her level of riding?

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

As long as she listens and tries, she will be fine! Definitely read his book ahead of time. I would give anything to be able to ride with GM again (did as many clinics and shows as I could 1983-2000)
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Where is this clinic going to be?

If she's comfortable showing at 3' regularly, I'm sure her riding is completely up-to-par for a group that won't exceed that height.

Having done tons and tons of clinics and lessons with him- the ONLY time I have EVER seen him get after riders is when they were simply not listening or trying. If the rider listens, tries, and shows improvement, then he is perfectly happy with them.
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Never been in one of his clinics but from watching the horsemanship clinics he gives over the winter it seems he reserved his more harsh criticisms for people not paying attention and those who didn't learn from his corrections. USEFnetwork used to have the horsemanship clinics archived which might give your daughter an idea/taste for how he teaches.

She should be OK if she listens well, has the stamina (including mental) to be working from start to stop every session (and he will hold riders later than scheduled, if necessary. He did this on the last session of the last day that I saw him, and i do wonder if it wasn't a deliberate move- when people were thinking they'd be packing up and getting trailers ready, etc.). The only time he got annoyed was when/if he thought a rider (or the auditors!!) wasn't listening, especially if they tried and exercise one way, he said to fix it, and they didn't show enough of an effort to do it differently the next time around.
    If there's a legitimate reason for why you do something he questions (feed wise, or with training, etc), offer up your reason at your own risk ;-) I think he can tend to equate "explanation" with "excuse giving" but at the same time, he wasn't always like that, and did offer some good pointers to the riders who seemed to be offering a mature, non defensive explanation.

Definitely call the organizers and see what they have to suggest.

At the time, i thought no way would I have the thick skin for his clinic... but then I went back to my old trainer from high school, and realized, wow, they were actually so similar! And my trainer didn't scare me at all, so maybe it's just the fame factor/not being familiar with GM in particular... hmm. :-)
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

Why not find a video or article to let your daughter know how tough he can be, and let her decide? I'm thinking she may well decide to step up and want to do it. And because it's her decision, with the details, she may be more invested in getting the most out of it.

Seems to me she'll be fine in the 3' and under.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by pippinpony View Post
    This is what I'm worried about. She can handle snide remarks, which I'm sure he will make, and I know they won't be from not listening. I'm just worried that her riding won't be up to par enough, and he will REALLY go to town on her. Do you think he will?
    Based on my experience riding in two clinics with him- no, I don't think he will. In each clinic, my group had one horse and rider pair that were a bit under the level of the others. In one, the horse just did not want to play ball; in the other, the girl struggled. What he wanted was for the rider to listen, to be attentive, and to do as he asked.

If your daughter does not listen and follow directions, he will tell her she is wasting his time, and tell her in no uncertain fashion. But it sounds like your daughter is suited for this group (and probably the 3' group also) and a good student, and she should learn a lot.

She should have her horse beautifully turned out- clipped, scrubbed, and mane pulled- with clean tack, and be dressed cleanly and conservatively in a collared shirt or sweater. She should wear a belt and gloves and have her hair neatly contained. She should not wear dangling jewelry. She should wear spurs, even if she doesn't commonly, and carry a crop or stick without a loop. (He will snap the loop off of your stick if you bring one in.) If she knows how to turn out a horse for show, she knows how to dress him for a clinic.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Default it's really simple

If she listens watches and tries GM will like her from what you've written, I see no reason she should not go

How is she about comprehending/ following oral instructions?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Thumbs up videos are available

watch videos of clinics he's given; that should give you a better idea of what he is like.
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Default why not?

I see no reason for her not to go; how does she take criticism??
    breeder of Mercury!

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

Really, he's not so bad as long as you are a good, attentive, ACTIVE student. It sounds like she will be well suited for the group, the jumps may not be high, but the questions will be hard. As other posters have said, read the books (something riders should do regardless, they are excellent and spot-on), and be sure your daughter has good oral comprehension (no sarcasm here, I'm a special educator, auditory processing delays are real and can be quite troublesome!). I'm doing a GM clinic in september, I've done it for years, and I always enjoy it thoroughly. I'm a good (not great) rider, and I've done every group from the under 3' to the over 3'6,but GM likes me because I'm prepared and attentive. He also says I give excellent legs-up, which I take as a huge compliment! LOL.

She should do it, it's a great experience, he won't be around forever, and she wil definitely learn something valuable!

I think she's decided to do it.

She's a pretty (mentally) tough kid. I do not expect her to break down or anything.

She works at the A shows, and can handle the whole weeks worth of groom responsibilities. She can ride two horses a day easily, three and gets a little tired. So a two hour lesson should be fine stamina-wise.

As for listening skills, I have no idea how to tell. Her current coach has never had listening problems with her, teachers either. At least, they've never mentioned any, but I've never asked. She's in the gifted/AP classes at school, so comprehension is there.

I don't think the homework part will be a problem. Just walked in to find her watching George Morris clinic videos with a bowl of popcorn. And she LOVES to read.

If he won't destroy her over her less-than-good-eye (the jumping kind), then I think she will be fine. This would be such a fantastic opprotunity for her, so if she can she'll be exstatic!
    Denial is delightful.

Quote Originally Posted by pippinpony View Post
    He never, ever gets unpleasant about your riding as long as you listen and try. After all, you are there to learn! And he knows that. It is important to watch the others and not repeat their mistakes. If she is the third in line, foe example, she needs to know how to perform the exercise because she has watched.

There is nothing he loves more than helping someone improve. And praise from him will have her walking on air.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com