The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Lightbulb Campbell Springs Farm, Chesterfield VA?

OK, so I moved to VA from NJ in May, and am boarding my jumper in Mechanicsville and LOVE it. Has fantastic trainers and wonderful care... but, the price of board is extremely steep and is keeping us from showing as we would like to. I've been looking up barns in the area, and came across Campbell Springs Farm (www.campbellspringsfarm.com) and am going to go check it out tomorrow. With the money we would be saving we would be able to purchase a trailer and haul in for lessons at my current barn.

Does anyone know anything about Campbell Springs? It seems like a great place, but haven't heard much about it.

Some interesting clinicians on their website.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Don't know anything about the actual boarding, just know it is quite a large property and they have a variety of events there.

I also recently moved to the Richmond area and looked at various places for boarding. I think it is worth note that looking at Campbell Springs website they have limits on how much grain and shavings are included in the cost of board. IMO I like a more all inclusive price, not having to pay extra for more feed/shavings. It does look like a lovely facility that may have a lot to offer at a lower price.

Guessing where you currently are based on location and jumpers, I also thought about boarding there, have heard great things, and suspect it may be hard for you to find a cheaper place you are equally happy with. But best of luck to you!

Hmm... didn't catch that on the website, thanks!

And I am aware unfortunately Therefore I'm not expecting anything as wonderful as where we're at now as to not be heartbroken if/when we move!

I looked at that place when I moved to the area. I personally wasn't excited about it. It wasn't a good fit for me or my horse. I do know a handful of people who moved away from there for various reasons. So if you go look, I would look at everything closely.
    "There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humor and the other is patience."

Reasonable limits on hay/shavings/etc wouldn't bother me, but six bags a month?! Everyone must go over.

We are in Chesterfield. Website is in my signature line.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com