The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Commentators who make stupid comments

Some of the commentators say the stupidest things, like "are you disappointed in your performance because you got Bronze instead of gold?"

or after the floor exercises where a girl for Brazil almost fell over they kept repeating over and over "she took 5 steps!, one, two, three, four, five!!"

ENOUGH!!!!

I think all commentators who make these idiotic comments should be forced to perform in a pay-per-view event where they have to be critiqued by the real athletes themselves. lol.

Some of the comments made about other countries during the Parade of Nations were disgusting. Shame on our NBC commentators.

Hey, it's the "mainstream media". It's not like they're accustomed to targeting intelligent viewers.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by JackandMo View Post
    Some of the comments made about other countries during the Parade of Nations were disgusting. Shame on our NBC commentators.
    I must have missed those. What did they say?

I thought the NBC guy who referred to the Queen as "Her Royal Highness" was inexcusably ignorant. How hard is it to do your homework at the kind of salaries they're paying those commentators?

OK, someone who knows, re: the archery I'm watching now--

Is St John's Wood correctly pronounced "Saint John's Wood"? Or more like "Sinjin Wood"?

You'd think after years of hearing about Abbey Road studios I'd know ....
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

An interviewer called Vierra (? Sp) from US interviewed Denny Boyle and asked him if he thought it would flop! She's a little gritty for the job.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

St John's Wood.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    St John's Wood.
    More like Snt John's Wood !
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

This is why I tend to watch the olympics with no sound, that way I can judge on my own without crazy commenters in my ear.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    Is St John's Wood correctly pronounced "Saint John's Wood"? Or more like "Sinjin Wood"?

:
    Either way is "correct" - the "sin gin" pronunciation is basically "Old English". I learned this after watching Four Weddings and A Funeral.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Just wait. If they are true to form, Melanie Smith will be doing dressage again. Talk about the worst person to have comment on DRESSAGE. She's a jumper rider. She also used to comment on eventing.

All the woman knows how to do is count freaking strides. She also snubs the NBC commentators when they ask questions.

Give us someone fun for dressage and eventing. Puhleas!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

SnicklefritzG is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

^^^If you could pick anyone you choose for dressage and eventing, who would it be?

I'd pick Mike Tucker for eventing. Also Lorna Clark.

Someone suggested Axel Steiner for dressage and I really think that would be a good match.

For eventing, can't we have the ones that have done the best job for Rolex?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

SnicklefritzG is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Axel did a fabulous job commentatin at Gladstone this year. It was an amazing educational experience as well as entertaining, particularly when he would "cluck" along with a horse that didn't show enough impulsion

Having Melanie as commentator is like having Greg Louganis be the commentator for the men's swimming. SO stupid. Gee, it's the same sport because they're in a pool, right? Oh, and he can also do commentary on synchronized swimming.

Morons at NBC. Or, Melanie is friends with the people in charge at NBC and has snowed them all into keeping her all these years. She SUCKS.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Having Melanie as commentator is like having Greg Louganis be the commentator for the men's swimming. SO stupid. Gee, it's the same sport because they're in a pool, right? Oh, and he can also do commentary on synchronized swimming.

Morons at NBC. Or, Melanie is friends with the people in charge at NBC and has snowed them all into keeping her all these years. She SUCKS.
    Oh give me a break. Just because she's a show jumper (Olympic level no less) does not mean she has no concept of dressage. Frankly, she's a better "dressage" (training) rider than many of the official dressage riders around.
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

Goodness, Fluffie, got an axe to grind?

Quote: 'Oh give me a break. Just because she's a show jumper (Olympic level no less) does not mean she has no concept of dressage. Frankly, she's a better "dressage" (training) rider than many of the official dressage riders around."

Erm, better than which official dressage rider?

Again, dressage is not show jumping. I would not ask Steffan Peters to comment on show jumping.

No, no axe to grind (just a sinus infection brewing). It just gets annoying that because people are labeled as one discipline it means they don't know anything about others. (None of my comments are aimed at any particular posters, BTW. Honest!)

Really, Taylor does a great job as a commentator. I've heard a lot of others over the years, including a bona-fide eventer commenting on Rolex, and there are much, much worse than she. But, because she hasn't ridden in a particular discipline I guess she's worthless.
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

Quote Originally Posted by FlightCheck View Post
    Goodness, Fluffie, got an axe to grind?

Erm, better than which official dressage rider?
    The "official" ones that loudly proclaim themselves to be "dressage riders" and have yet to demonstrate any such ability/aptitiude (armchair quarterbacks would be a parallel description).

Always reminds me of the color commentator in the movie "Best in Show" who knew absolutely nothing about dogs. The way that movie spoofs some of the stupid things commentators say is great.