The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

YAY!
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

Quote Originally Posted by cheval convert View Post
    This is so much better than my suggestion!
    I was gonna get back to you on that, Cheval! I couldn't involve those people because of blowback and politics, IYKWIM

Thank you for caring
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

That's fantastic news!

Couldn't see all the details or pics for some reason, but we're looking for a middle aged or older pasture ornament if your horse would fit the bill and is still looking for a home. Only qualifications are that they need to be gelding and mare friendly. Let me know if your guy is still available or you know of others!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Great update, glad to see the old fellow has a place to go. I was getting perilously close to calling my hay man and pricing out enough hay to get another horse through the winter. So couldn't afford it and board but he was really tugging at my heartstrings.

Thank you so much, Gaited

Ali, that is fantastic to know! I will know alot more in the next 2 weeks, and I'll be going down to see him in PA on Aug 8th, I will def be in touch

Here's the update, hot off the presses:

Arthur has arrived at the quarantine barn in PA. He is very skinny like his pic, has a runny nose but no fever. His eyeball is still in the socket but he is blind in it, it's a light blue milky color, but doesn't look infected, yay!
    Arthur will get bedded down and they will let him settle in. Sometime soon he will be vetted; in the meantime he will be fed and kept under observation while the folks at quarantine get to know him :-)

Thanx again, all!!!

You guys are ALL awesome!! This is my very favorite part of COTH!

Here he is!

Arthur stepped off the trailer comfortably after the ride from the holding pen to his new quarantine digs. He will stay here for 30 days, recovering under observation.

Here's to an uneventful recovery!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Awesome! Lucky boy ~ I wish he could tell us where he's been.

Oh he's so gorgeous. I bet he'll really shine one day! He seems like he would be perfect for us. My SO's family rescued a Standardbred from New Holland about 10 years ago, and we had to put him down in March. We were hoping to get another one like him!

If he's available for adoption in the future, we would definitely be interested. He would live in a huge field with 3 other horses and would live out a nice relaxing retirement, just like our old STB did. Tons of grass and nice buddies.

Keep me updated as you know more!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Thanx, Hundred

Ali, that is a fabulous offer! Thank you so much, we will definitely keep you in mind

No real update on Arthur, which is good news - he is comfortable, eating, and under the watchful gaze of the QT folks

I'm glad he's settling as expected! I hope he does well.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    I'm glad he's settling as expected! I hope he does well.
    Thanx Hun! I love the support from you guys.

So sorry I haven't been back to update recently - Alicat, thank you so much for your offer!!

Quick rundown - Arthur came through QT with flying colors! He is now being fostered by a COTH member, I am going to send this thread to her and the wonderful rescue person who coordinated all of this, they will be by with more info!

Thanx again to everyone for their offers, inputs, and well wishes

Arthur is now living in Indiana. Thanks to everyone who helped make it happen for him. He has been here about a week, so I thought I would post an update on his situation. He's an elderly (he is listed as 25+ years on his health certificate), very thin, but has plenty of spunk in him. He is very sweet, submissive to other horses, and will free stand in the pasture and let me groom, blanket, examine, and hop on him bareback. My husband and I rent a 5 acre horse property with one run-in style barn, and one unfinished barn where dead vehicles retire (one dead Chevy truck and an old horse carriage). We have 3 large drafts/half drafts (Belgian standardbred, Belgian/Appy, and a NASDHA registered Belgian paint. Arthur, needing more food, is kept in his own smaller pasture with his own round bale so he doesn't have to compete for food. I did let him out with the big horses yesterday, and he did well until he decided to run and buck around the big pasture, and they gave chase and bit him. He decided he had had enough: he galloped at full speed through the pasture, into the barn, and straight into his smaller pasture. He learned the layout of the place pretty quickly, not bad for a guy with only one functional eye. He's a great horse, I'm glad to have him here. I don't know if he knows his name, but he comes running and nickers to the sound of a new bag of grain being opened ;-).

Thanks for taking the old guy in......what a nice place for him to land .

Wow! Well done michaleenflynn, BelgianHalfDrafts, and everyone else involved in this rescue. Pretty inspiring stuff!

On the off-chance that someone is reading this and is looking to take in a hard-luck Standardbred, there are two old Standardbred mares in central Ohio who need retirement homes. They were in terrible shape when they were surrendered by the owners last February, but they've had 6+ months of rehab and foster through a 501c3 rescue and are now healthy and ready for new homes. The local news did a follow-up story about them a few weeks ago:
    http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/sep/...in-ar-1176834/