The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dressage pony? - Updated Dressage results p2

I am curious to hear people's opinions on whether I should give it a try and see how far this little guy can go in dressage. I have just started a welsh section B stallion under saddle a couple of months ago and I would have to say he is one of the nicest movers I have ridden in my life. He is already starting to figure out how to push from behind, and shows great extension and elasticity. He has an amazing mind; very smart and trainable, sensible, responsive to all aides, and a very well mannered stallion. The only catch is that I look really big on him...

Here are a couple of pictures from our first show, please excuse the jumper tack we were showing in hunter under saddle and pleasure classes. I know there is only so much that you can tell from pictures but I would be interested in knowing people's opinions and experiences showing ponies.

http://www.facebook.com/kim.berenbau...type=3&theater

Thanks
    Last edited by adelmo95; Sep. 2, 2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: updating

Need to get him more into the bridle rather than behind, but looks very cute and expressive.

I actually do nto think I have ever seen a pony that size showing around here, but there are a few adults showing ponies, and the judges seem open minded about them!

Last year I showed a 13.2 hand Welsh cross (I am 5'10") and it was a lot of fun. Much easier to really get into the corners and use the ring, but it did make the lengthenings seem to go on forever! The other thing I noticed while scribing, is the ponies seemed more troubled by deep/sloppy footing than the bigger horses.

I have a friend(adult) who shows her welsh pony at PSG, recognized shows, and gets scores in the low 60's, so there is NO reason why you cant give your guy a try.

I will say however, that you do look a smidge big for him
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

OMG he is freaking adorable ! It's an issue isn't it ... I was thinking how stinking cute it would be and how much fun to do a few shows and then train a teeny tiny rider to get the best out of him too. But that won't work if you're planning to keep him entire. Bleh ... well, you'll just have to carry on with him and not worry about 'looking' too big, just keep checking that you aren't in fact 'too big' in the sense of too heavy and thereby damaging him. (Doesn't look that way to me, btw, but there are facts and figures you can use obviously, and monitor his legs and such like.)

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    OMG he is freaking adorable ! It's an issue isn't it ... I was thinking how stinking cute it would be and how much fun to do a few shows and then train a teeny tiny rider to get the best out of him too. But that won't work if you're planning to keep him entire. Bleh ... well, you'll just have to carry on with him and not worry about 'looking' too big, just keep checking that you aren't in fact 'too big' in the sense of too heavy and thereby damaging him. (Doesn't look that way to me, btw, but there are facts and figures you can use obviously, and monitor his legs and such like.)
    Stallions can be shown by juniors as long as they are accompanied by a competent adult and are not unruly. At least that is the rule in Canada.

Who has already loaded up this little guy into their virtual trailer?

Thanks for all of the comments so far. I did the weight calculations before ever getting on him and am well within the range he should be able to carry. I also have been very careful to keep an eye on his back and legs and so far he has never shown any soreness.

He isn't mine so I don't have a say in whether he stays a stallion however I feel that he is a very nice prospect as a sport pony sire as he is well bred, is a lovely mover, has good conformation and an AMAZING mind. I have met many stallions that I thought would make lovely geldings, and I think this guy is a nice little stud. The only catch is that there might be a bunch of kids jealous of my ride.

I hadn't realized that stallions could be shown by juniors in Canada. I had thought most prize lists said they couldn't show stallions, do you have to apply for permission or is it a recent rule change?

My biggest concern is do I look so distractingly large on him that we will be majorly penalized at a dressage show?

I think he is lovely, but you do look distractingly large to me. However, if he performs well, it would not be correct for a dressage judge to penalize you for it. If he learns to reach for the bit, particularly in the canter, I bet he would do quite well.

And yes, in dressage juniors can show stallions in the US as well. The only limitation is that they cannot be ridden in dressage seat equitation classes (because more than one horse is in the ring at a time).

Quote Originally Posted by adelmo95 View Post
    . I did the weight calculations before ever getting on him and am well within the range he should be able to carry. I also have been very careful to keep an eye on his back and legs and so far he has never shown any soreness.
    How old/tall is he?
    Are you using the 15% guideline for young horses? or the 20 - 25% that I see (more often) applied to experienced riding horses with developed back muscles & mature spines?

How are you assessing him for soreness?

Sorry for the barrage - I'm just very curious.

Issue is going to be balance
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    How old/tall is he?
    Are you using the 15% guideline for young horses? or the 20 - 25% that I see (more often) applied to experienced riding horses with developed back muscles & mature spines?

How are you assessing him for soreness?

Sorry for the barrage - I'm just very curious.
    He is about 12.2 and 9 years old, so not young, just green. I have been using the 20-25% method as I have been told that ponies are generally pound for pound more than horses. I know people with ponies who would use 30% for calculations.

In terms of assessing him for soreness before and after each ride I feel along his top line for any areas he reacts to touch. For his leg I feel down them for any sort of heat or swelling. I am also aware of any unevenness that I feel under saddle (which I have never felt with him). I am bordering on paranoid when it comes to soundness as I have had a few accident prone horses in the past who would frequently come into the barn with random lamenesses, in addition to having sore backs despite having a custom fit saddle etc. With both horses that got sore backs (different saddles, different saddle fitters, different disciplines) I was less than 10% of their weight, and yet I have never had a pony get a sore back, just most of the ones I have trained and ridden have been mediums and larges.

The other precaution I have been taking while this little guy is getting fit is to give him a recovery day between rides. I figured I would apply my human physiology knowledge about strength training to riding. So far this seems to be working from both a training side as he is progressing nicely, as well as from a strength side as he is getting stronger without ever showing signs of soreness.

In terms of balance he is one of the most balanced green ponies/horses I have ever ridden, I am aware of the need to keep my body very still and centered above him and to date he has not had any troubles with balance.

No not just conformational balance but creating balance for anything above second level.
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    Who has already loaded up this little guy into their virtual trailer?
    I have!! Oh, to be a kid again.

He is simply lovely! He does look like a pony stallion prospect. I was shocked when I read that he is only 12.2. He looks bigger with that beautiful movement.
    Yes you do look a bit big for him but Lendon Gray rode ponies and liked them very much. Remember Seldom Seen? Last Scene? I'd say go for it.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Thanks ptownevt, he doesn't ride like a small pony either. He surprised me with how much push he naturally has from behind from the first ride on. Basically the only give away on how small he is in the pictures would be for people that know me seeing how big I look in the pictures as I can quite comfortably fit a large pony.

Seldom Seen inducted into the Roemer Foundation/USDF Hall of Fame:
    http://www.usdf.org/halloffame/induc...files/seen.asp

Picture of Lendon on Last Scene:
    http://www.usdf.org/halloffame/induc...LendonGray.asp
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

I have watched videos of Lendon on Seldom Seen, and think it is awesome what that pair accomplished!

I ride a 13.2 hh pony - first level dressage and Beginner novice eventing and I am having a blast. I am only 5'2'' and the only one judge seemed to not be keen on him. I do have trouble getting my leg on his belly sometims and therefore raise my heels. I do think he has more trouble in deeper footing as someone mentioned. I do have to sit as still as possible and upright, to not hinder his balance. Your pony is cute! I would go for it!

i think he is a cutey! but i also think you are too big for him - maybe not weight wise but your upper body appears to be taller than him. that will be seriously unbalancing for him.

can you find a junior that can ride him instead?

My 5.11 Husband rode our 'tank' 14.1HH Connemara stallion thru 2nd Level-no judge ever commented on "harmony" between horse and rider (even if they may have thought it). It may have been reflected in their scores somehow--but there were no comments ever on the size. The stallion has moved onto a more appropriately sized rider (5") to continue up the levels. Our family had a blast showing him!

My husband is now showing his 5 yo (son of the above) at Training and 1st with scores in the middle 60s to low 70s (gelding is 15.3 so not a big horse). This past weekend my husband and the young horse scored all 7.5-8 in the collective marks--with comments on what a nice partnership/match they are. So size may not be as relevant as long as the quality of the work is there.

I also ride the 14.2 1/2HH son of rthonors pony at 1st level and am 5.5" and (and definitely weigh more than the OP)--this past weekend we got all very high marks for "Harmony" in the Collectives and scores in the middle 60s at the Championship Level (1st Level).

So again--Size may not be as relevant as one might think if the quality of the work is there. So I say go for it as long as you feel comfortable--having trained a stallion, the early work you do will set the stage for everything to come--so having an adult or appropriately skilled rider to get going is to your advantage!

I wanted to mention also that I saw more ponies this past weekend than I have ever seen at any recognized show here in CA--right on down to SMALL PONIES. Good luck with him he is a cutie for sure!