The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Which style of braid do you prefer?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like the banded ones that stand up!

3 2.68%
  • I like the buttons that lay along the side of the crest!

109 97.32%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Not now, but it is something that should be done this year The first one for the Region 5 site will be hunter braids as my model for that I see many times a week
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Growing up in Idaho, I must have been about 20 before I found out that there are people that get PAID to braid someone elses horse! I had (have) a copy of Grooming To Win & practiced until my fingers bled. Any good links for doing Totilas type braids?

Quote Originally Posted by Miichelle View Post
    Any good links for doing Totilas type braids?
    None that I've been able to find To do them you do a standard button braid, but when you start the braid, instead of making it tight to the neck, you start kind or loose so that when you pull up, the "loose" base of the braid makes the subtle scallops.

Maybe OP can make a youtube video for the horse world???

When the OP gets reliably good enough at them LOL!! I feel like my scallopy edges aren't even enough. With Bravo (the grey Spanish one) I thinned his mane but left it a little long (like almost 6 or 7") and made wiiiiide braids, like 5" or 6" apart, then when I sewed up the buttons they just kinda nestle into the scallopy part? We'll see, I am braiding him at Nationals in Sep.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I love the little Spanish horse. I'm trying to decide what to do with my modern type Haflinger mare. She's a refined pony, not a drafty one, and has a typical Haffy/pony mane. I pulled my daughters drafty Haffy once, after that we just roached it because when all that hair started growing back he looked rather like a hedgehog... I'm THINKING about pulling my mare's mane but I'm not willing to pull her long thick forelock, it suits her. Any sugestions for taming it? Sorry whoever did this, but this is the worst FORELOCK I've ever seen, a huge thick sausage braid looks great compared to this! (And does it go under or over the browband?)

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=scall...r:17,s:0,i:128
    Last edited by Miichelle; Jul. 31, 2012 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by myhorsefaith View Post
    Does anyone have any close ups of what the finished braids look like using this "Dutton" method of braiding as seen on this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTuvuvbGlDY

I've been playing with this on my gelding as i happen to have a pull through and can't find my braiding needle anywhere. Show is this weekend -so i'll probably do this - except the video is a little too blurry so i can't see exactly if what I am producing is correct, LOL.
    If you follow the link in my signature and look in the client album at the bay horse named Not Without Me (Banks)... He was done with the slipknot braids. I do them for him for a few reasons:
    -He doesn't have much mane and I think it makes him look like he has more mane.
    -He's a youngster and still learning how to stand, I find the knotted method a little faster for him.
    - They're super easy for Eventers to get out in between phases... but not good for overnight.

I think they're a great alternative to traditional sewn in buttons which is the preference of my Dressage and Eventing clients.
    "As one of those weirdos that always enjoyed the grooming tasks that most others didn't, Kirsten decided it was time to make the most of it and create Shear Convenience Grooming"