The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Which style of braid do you prefer?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like the banded ones that stand up!

3 2.68%
  • I like the buttons that lay along the side of the crest!

109 97.32%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I definitely prefer the button braids. I've always thought that the stand up ones just look like someone can't braid very well, and that's what they ended up with. Very amateurish, to me. Buttons are much more polished. When I do them, I just vary the size of the braids to suit the horses neck.

I really prefer the Totilas style braids. I drive a pair of Warmblood geldings that have big ol' necks and they look so much better in about eight or ten (max) button braids.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Jenners, I do fun free clinics for youth and ammys in the winter. I'm going to do a Power Point presentation on braiding for our local AHA club, it will be linkable for anyone through the Region 5 site, if all goes as we talked about. Dressage, Hunter manes and tails and running braids. Forelocks too, helping to avoid the croissant and unicorn look is my mission LOL!!!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted River View Post
    (I think you mixed your 2 "dislike" links up)

AGREE!!! AGREE!!! AGREE!!! It looks like crap, even when done well, which this particular example wasn't. A long mane looks better just brushed and left out then put in that dumb band design! And did you read the caption - "It must have taken his owner a long time" - No, no I don't think it did.
    I went back and checked--nope, didn't mix them up.
    Glad you agree!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Interesting!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I like the braids on Totilas as well. My horse has a long cresty neck and I think those would look good on him but my trainer likes hunter braids.

Like most, I've only ever seen the 'stand up' braids on poorly braided horses. They remind me a bit of the ones they do on draft horses.

(and I don't particularly care what Steffen does, nor do I think that his like for them makes them "fashionable".)
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Oh, that's not they point really The point of mentioning that is that he is definitely a professional and I learned that style of braiding from another professional who learned it from him, so calling that style amateurish is funny.

What makes them fashionable are all the people who do like them and request them. I would stop by the ODS Champs and fundraiser show the second weekend of Sep and see how many "pop up"
    The Knotted Pony

Glad to see the buttons coming back! I'm so old I remember when it was 7 to 9 plaits. Then we had to live throught the 40 teenie weenie braids like cigarettes in a row down the neck. (Hands are screaming just thinking about it.)

Best braiding job I ever saw was on a sparkling white, super cute field hunter named Harry, brought to a meet in Ireland as a hireling for one of my buddies. He had tidy fat little buttons all in a row, less than 10 in total.

Now braided tails I love! Bang for the buck. I remember my instructor braiding my horse's tail for me, she wouldn't let me see her do it so I would be slavishly grateful, thinking it took hours! Five minutes, and your horses butt looks divine and fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flagstaff Foxhunter View Post
    I remember my instructor braiding my horse's tail for me, she wouldn't let me see her do it so I would be slavishly grateful, thinking it took hours! Five minutes, and your horses butt looks divine and fancy.

The Knotted Pony

I don't care for any type of braid that sticks up off the neck.

I much prefer braids that lie flat, so either button or hunter. I like sewn in hunter braids, so I typically do 13-15 of those down the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Oh, that's not they point really The point of mentioning that is that he is definitely a professional and I learned that style of braiding from another professional who learned it from him, so calling that style amateurish is funny.

What makes them fashionable are all the people who do like them and request them. I would stop by the ODS Champs and fundraiser show the second weekend of Sep and see how many "pop up"
    I'm not going to argue with you about the "professionalism" of them, but I've been to plenty of ODS shows and again, the only 'pop up' braids I've seen have been on DIY-ers, and are usually of the uneven/lumpy variety. Maybe they just aren't popular this far south of the WA border? I don't know. Just tellin' ya what I've seen with my own two eyes at dressage shows and events.

Personally, I don't think they are flattering at all, but since braiding isn't required anyway - who cares.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

My goodness! Your opinion and experience are most definitely noted LOL!!

The Knotted Pony

I'm not a fan of the sticky up plaits. They look messy to me. (Not slighting your plaiting job- it looks great. They just look untidy to me, regardless of how well done they are.)
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Does anyone have any close ups of what the finished braids look like using this "Dutton" method of braiding as seen on this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTuvuvbGlDY

I've been playing with this on my gelding as i happen to have a pull through and can't find my braiding needle anywhere. Show is this weekend -so i'll probably do this - except the video is a little too blurry so i can't see exactly if what I am producing is correct, LOL.

That particular style of braiding, in my opinion, is perfect for ammys! Easy and not too particular. I think from the judges view they look great. For my own personal standards though, I would rather spend the 20 minutes it takes me to do buttons than 15 to do these. I like a braid that, even close up like right next to the horse, looks neat and tidy showing lovely braids. These end up looking a little too loosely done (before they were even rolled up the braids looked like they were waving around LOL!) and then just bunched up like a pair of socks under a bed So, not my style but I am sure they suit a purpose!
    The Knotted Pony

i think you may have answered my question, LOL! I thought i was doing something wrong, and who knows, i may be.

i'm going to play with it a bit more and see if i can clean it up and make it suitable for this schooling show on saturday. live n learn!

Playing around is the best way to get better and better!

Have a super show this weekend!
    The Knotted Pony

Thanks! We'll all be down at Donida supporting a fantastic rescue!

Do you have any instructions video or otherwise how to do the buttons? They are so attractive!