The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Some photo ideas, please

I was recently contacted by some of my horse' s former connections. It turns out that he had a whole family that loved and adored him, and they were thrilled to learn, after losing track of him, that he ended up with someone that equally adores him. Apparently my horse was best buddies with the family's little boy and I was asked if I could post some pictures for him. I'm not really much of a picture taker and so would need to take more. I would like to take some that would appeal to a little boy that lost his best friend and that would let him know that his new owner loves his buddy, too. Any ideas for taking pictures that a little boy would appreciate and let him see that his best friend is doing well. I really want to tailor the pictures to reassure him. Thanks!

A sleek shiny horse with a smiling owner patting his neck never fails to disappoint. I dunno, candid pics around the barn? Dobbin chillin' with his buddies in the pasture, Dobbin munching hay in a clean stall, Dobbin making a cute face while he gets his withers scratched or plays with his lick-it. Just show him living the good life.

If it were an old beloved pet of mine I would want snapshots. Nothing professional. Happy, shiny and loved, pictures as mentioned above. Take some photos and share the ones that you know will always bring a smile to your face if/when your friend is no longer there. I'm sure the former owners, young boy, would love to see the horse as he is in his new home just lovin'n life

That is very sweet that you want to do a little extra for the boy. I think that extreme angle pictures are always funny... not flattering- but funny to include- like feeding a carrot with the horse's nose coming at you over the stall door- carrot's eye view. Also- if you keep your horse in shoes, maybe inclue a "good luck" horse shoe from his old buddy.

oh heck, they just want to see how he's doing, and a little boy is not going to analyze the composition and lighting of the photo. Some very basic things to do: pay attention to adjust your zoom, or stand somewhere far enough so that you can see the whole horse in the frame (ie be sure you are not cutting off his head, ears, or legs). Standing at least slightly to the side is more flattering than a head-on shot. Late afternoon or morning, when the sun is at a low angle, is often prettier to look at than a high noon overhead sun. Finally, do what "real" photographers do-- take tons and tons of shots in the one session, and you'll surely wind up with a couple nice ones.

I just saw a horse I used to lease in a few pix.

I loved this horse so much. He was so special. I was with him for 2 years.

Anyway, when I saw the pix I started *sobbing* (full on, not misty tears). I decided then that I will never subject myself to having to actually see him in person (in horse?)

Are there some you just never get over?

I always like nose photos. Agree with poster about the carrot shots Make it look like he is having a good time.