The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is this a valid training tool

Is there ever a reason to lift your legs above the saddle panels and kick a horse repeatedly in the shoulder while reefing on its mouth? Please tell me this is not normal

No, not normal. Not training. Sounds like someone lost their temper.

While being pursued by Boris and Natasha Badenuv, you gallop your horse up to the edge of a huuuuuuuuuge cliff... there are only seconds left to stop dear Dobbin or you and he will be hurtling into the abyss?
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I can see it being useful for a horse to be accustomed to having legs in front of the saddle; I often put my leg there to adjust the girth or stirrup leathers. Kicking and yanking ...not so much.

Thank you,, I saw this today and was taken aback....Not my trainer but another one in my barn.... of course no helmet was worn....this person has issues with jumping to conclusions and flying off the handle...I am not sure how to quietly make the barn owner aware of this situation

I know some horses queue to park out is tapping your toes or heels lightly in front of the panels, but not pulling on the mouth...
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Mmmm... I had a horse that would try to lead his shoulder to the gate in an arena, basically try to blow through my outside leg by keeping the bend but dropping his outside shoulder and heading that way. I nailed him with the backside of my booted (no spur) heel on that shoulder maybe twice before he got it? I *think* I used an inside leading rein at the time, not sure but no, ganking on the mouth really doesn't fix much.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

It's probably from the same training manual that advocates kicking the horse in the stomach for ground work.

About the BO, though, they may already know but can't or won't do anything about it.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Most unhorsemanlike. You may have to have the moral courage to speak to the person directly, in a polite way, ya know, especially if they have a temper on a horse.

I've several times gone up to kids at shows and spoken to them if they are showing temper - but there there is the heavier hammer of the coach or steward if needed. I'm always nice, because I know what show nerves are like especially for young people and they just have to learn.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

using a crop on the shoulder is considered bad form in some sports; I can't imagine anyone advocating using the boot on the shoulder. Sounds like a good way to fall off.

Don't know that there is much reason to kick a horse.

Do know that if the horse decides it's going to kick back, it -will- win.

"leadership" by example can be quite painful when the student gets the lesson.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com