The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What's up with Michael Phelps?

He doesn't seem on his game - hasn't been on the podium at all so far. Lochte isn't any older (I think they are the same age), but he's doing much better.

Anyone know what's up? I haven't seen any articles or heard any discussions but am curious if anyone else has

This has been covered over and over on the Olympics news. His coach actually said that if he was asked whether Phelps was as good a swimmer as he was in 08, he'd have to say no. But that he is a better person than he was in 08. Phelps hasn't done as well in the prep races the last year AND Lochte has beaten him plenty times before. This isn't really that shocking.

Also, I hope that nobody makes a HUGE deal out of it. The guy has done enough. If he wins more medals, that's great. If not, don't nitpick his performances to death. He's a lot more grown up these days, it seems, from his interviews.

ETA: he's also only been in one day's worth of competitions so far! "Hasn't been on the podium yet" seems a bit extreme of a judgement for day one! He's been on a US team since he was 15, I hope he can compete and exit the sport gracefully at this Olympics. Cut him some slack!
    True Bearing Equestrian
    St. Helena Island, SC

"This has been covered over and over on the Olympics news."Also, I hope that nobody makes a HUGE deal out of it.

good grief! some of us might not have been following much lately. no need for the snark.

Apparently the 400 IM today is an event Phelps really doesn't like and had said in '08 that he was going to stop swimming it. Changed his mind in maybe the last 6 months. Also it was said that he didn't sleep well due to fireworks...Dunno, he's an amazing swimmer but perhaps he's lost a step? Its still early, he has a bunch more races...
    Ryan Lochte is actually a year older, but he swam today like a man possessed............no one was going to catch him.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

yeah, totally, Lochte was way out in front tonight. I normally don't follow swimming, so didn't know about Phelps not really liking the 400 IM. Six months doesn't seem like much time to begin working on a new event. What are his "signature" events?

I didn't expect him to win, but I was surprised he seemed so...off. Hopefully he pulls it together and does better for the rest of it. I think many were expecting a repeat of last time, but it's pretty clear that's not going to happen. That said, he's done plenty, so if he's merely human this time around and only gets a few medals, of whatever color, I hope some sort of "failed expectations" story isn't the big headline for the next 2+ weeks.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    yeah, totally, Lochte was way out in front tonight. I normally don't follow swimming, so didn't know about Phelps not really liking the 400 IM. Six months doesn't seem like much time to begin working on a new event. What are his "signature" events?
    Butterfly and freestyle? I think?
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    What are his "signature" events?
    Phelps, 27, won eight golds in Beijing.

He has won 16 Olympics medals, only two fewer than the Soviet gymnast Larisa Latynina. He has set 29 individual world records and won 61 world and Olympic titles.

http://www.infoplease.com/biography/...aelphelps.html

http://www.thenewstribe.com/2012/07/...t-london-2012/

“In Beijing we were trying to conquer everything and everyone,” the 27-year-old swimmer said, before turning to his coach Bob Bowman.

“Bob and I have been a lot more relaxed over the last four years and we’re having fun.”

“This is the closure. It’s really how much, how many toppings do I want on my sundae?” he said. “I’m having fun, this is something I enjoy.”
    True Bearing Equestrian
    St. Helena Island, SC

I've heard athletes say this many times that the Olympics are just another competition and sometimes you are on your game and sometimes not. It always seems a bigger deal when you flop at the Olympics than another world competition...

I feel like this is a similar situation to that which one of my good friend was in. In her 4H years, she consistently competed and won in the equitation classes. Everybody said it wasn't fair that she was so good, that she should stop competing. A few of our friends (luckily I was in a different age group!) were consistently coming in 2nd, 3rd, etc. But there was a reason she was winning all the time; she worked her butt off, and she was good because of it.

ANYways. Phelps kicked butt in 2008 because he was so good. I don't particularly enjoy people saying "FINALLY Lochte won! It's about time!" Just because Phelps had an off race, doesn't mean Lochte is better than him. He hasn't consistently beat Phelps for a reason. Phelps is just that good. Is he still that good? Not too sure. But in theory, my logic works

Ok, off my soap box.

Phelps is good. Lochte busted his butt training because he was chasing Phelps. HE had something to prove to himself, Phelps has absolutely nothing to prove to anyone. Is Lochte as naturally talented as Phelps? Probably not. Did a massive amount of hard work pay off in the 400m medley? Yep.

I'd love to see Phelps set a record for medals won by winning a bunch more here. I'd love to see Lochte win a bunch of stuff. Heck, I just liked watching Sun (Chinese swimmer in the 400m free) celebrating because he just won the first-ever gold in swimming for China. It's the Olympics. I just like watching people who really want it do well.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    Butterfly and freestyle? I think?
    Yes, Butterfly is his stroke. Being the swim family that we are, we've watched Phelps in awe over the years. He came into these games at age 15 and done more than enough to prove himself over the years. The 2012 Olympics he is not expected to be the swimmer he was 4 yrs ago. He knows he's not the swimmer he was 4 yrs ago either. He had a goal to win 8 medals in '08 and he did it. Now he's back but not with goals like he's had in years past, he feels he's accomplished what he set out to do.
    For those that follow swimming, Lochte is the guy to watch. He's been a friendly rival to Phelps all these years but this time his head is in the game....and that makes a the difference.
    So I don't think Phelps is in a funk or whatever, he just has a different agenda, but despite that, is still a very talented and gifted athlete.
    I think he's got it in him to win more medals if he wants it, and we'll see as the games progress how he does.
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by wishnwell View Post
    Yes, Butterfly is his stroke. Being the swim family that we are, we've watched Phelps in awe over the years. He came into these games at age 15 and done more than enough to prove himself over the years. The 2012 Olympics he is not expected to be the swimmer he was 4 yrs ago. He knows he's not the swimmer he was 4 yrs ago either. He had a goal to win 8 medals in '08 and he did it. Now he's back but not with goals like he's had in years past, he feels he's accomplished what he set out to do.
    For those that follow swimming, Lochte is the guy to watch. He's been a friendly rival to Phelps all these years but this time his head is in the game....and that makes a the difference.
    So I don't think Phelps is in a funk or whatever, he just has a different agenda, but despite that, is still a very talented and gifted athlete.
    I think he's got it in him to win more medals if he wants it, and we'll see as the games progress how he does.
    True Bearing Equestrian
    St. Helena Island, SC

"Lochte is the Olympic swimmer you want to hang out with." I'd actually rather hang out with Phelps. I'm a lot more like him than Lochte But I wouldn't say no to hanging out with either of them!
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Don't know what's up with Phelps, but I sure like looking at Ryan Lochte...

^^Yeah, a bit of eye candy for sure.

Phelps is one of the best ever. However, Lochte is definitely better looking
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Hey said in the interview with Seacrest that he was done after this... That makes a huge difference IMO of how competative you are.

He just sounds done and thats OK!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

According to an interview with Phelps' coach, Phelps stopped training in favor of being a party boy after the last Olympics. He didn't get back into serious training until 1.5 years ago--whereas his competition has been training the full 4 years. So, whatever happens, he did it to himself (good or bad!).
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."