The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A sweet old girl went over the bridge today

I put Molly to sleep today.
    We took her in along with her "sister" Scamp about 2 years ago. We had to put Scamp down last April due to uncontrollable cluster seizures ., and today Molly joined her. She was a sweet old lady Lab, only 12, but we have been doing battle with a mysterious illness that today revealed itself as probable mast cell carcinoma.

I have repeated to myself over and over, "Better a day too early...", and I stuck to it. Ran across the street to the minimart and grabbed a packet of White Castle burgers.

She loved her "Booger Burgers ", as I call them since the little onion bits look...well, boogery. I left them on.

Godspeed, Miss Molly. Go grab a tennis ball and play with Scamp and your old boyfriend Crash and my dearest little Weezer and my fine kitty Ernie, all lost in the last 3 years.

Now I have 3 dogs under 4 and a healthy 12 y.o.cat. I hope I don't see that awful black cloud on my horizon for a long time. I hope I hope I hope.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

I'm so sorry. RIP Miss Molly. Know that you were loved.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Oh lovey, I'm so sorry.

That day to early can be so hard but is just the absolute right thing to do. You done good.

Happy trails, Molly. Hold a seat for your mommy, won't you?
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I'm so sorry. You will see her again, meantime, she's playing with her buds! Hugs,

godspeed sweet, old girl and hugs to you lovey

I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm proud of your bravery and sticking to it. You did the right thing. Rest in peace miss Molly
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

As another member of the day-too-early club, I'm proud of you for doing what you know is right. It certainly isn't easy, but you kept her best interest in mind. She made her crossing loved and full of burgers. {{{{{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}}}}}

My thoughts for you and Molly. Obviously treasured and loved.

Oh Lovey, hugs to you and godspeed to Miss Molly. I'm another member of the day-too-early club. Very proud of you for doing the right thing.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

(( Hugs )) to you for doing the right, albeit, hard thing
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

So sorry.

I'm so sorry. ♥ Doing the same to my 12 year old lab on Friday.

Oh Blacklabs, I am so sorry. 12 is just too young. It just stinks. Big hugs back to you. And some White Castles for your dear old friend.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

I am so sorry for your loss. I am watching two 16 year olds and trying to prepare for that day.
    Rest in peace, Molly.

I also let my lab go on Friday...it sounds like she had some good company as she crossed the bridge. Like you, I am devastated but know that it was time.

My Sugar dog was 15 and lived a wonderful life filled with many adventures and touched many lives in the process. My family rescued her when I was 12 and she spent the first few years of her life alternating between sleeping in the sunny living room and chasing the geese off our waterfront yard. She eventually moved with me to college during my senior year and subsequently followed me to several places on East coast, Chicago, Ann Arbor, & Northern Michigan. She spent several summers at a camp in Michigan, where she earned the reputation as the "homesickness cure-all" dog. She was a great barn dog (except for the time that she ate manure & then threw it up all over my car). Sugar also is responsible for sparking the relationship with my now fiance after he kept her while I was out of town for a weekend. He always says that he first fell in love with Sugar, then with me. We were hoping that she would make it to our wedding next summer but we know that she will be there in spirit.

Many jingles to all of our beloved pups and healing thoughts to the humans who love them and miss them terribly.
    "Function in disaster, finish in style, and remain at the center of your being." - Lucy Madeira Wing