The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Angry My AV sprung a leak ... :-(

Has anyone successfuly patched them and what did you use to do so?

I bought a used AV years ago and the seller sent along a tube of "Shoo Goo" and said she had success with that, but it shows as being effective on rubber and vinyl but nothing about latex and I dont want to use it and disintegrate the latex.

I am picking up a new one this week, but wanted to see if I could patch this one up to use as a back up

The crack is at the very top, where the latex bends over at the opening and the hole is pin prick size. Wasnt a happy camper when my boy went into it yesterday and water started spurting out at the top ...

Thanks a bunch for any suggestions!

5-minute marine epoxy is what we use. And it's worked on major cracks.

Have you had the latex liner burst while your stallion is in it? I'm not sure which of us was more surprised...or wet!!!!
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Have you had the latex liner burst while your stallion is in it? I'm not sure which of us was more surprised...or wet!!!!
    Thats exactly what happened yesterday but no one really got wet - it was literally just a pinhole sized leak that spurted out and back. Nothing catastrophic!

Thanks for the marine epoxy tip - will hunt that down!

Quote Originally Posted by cyriz's mom View Post

yes! Last week!! big hole popped at the bottom of the liner and gushed all over me. Amazing was very confused but thankfully finished the job. What a glamorous life we lead
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire)
    KWPN, ISR/Old NA, RPSI, and IHF stallion
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Yep, my husband's favorite saying to me is "living the dream, baby!"

That's not exactly what I was thinking when I collected at 6 pm last night (it was still 100) and then drove 75 miles round trip to a late pick-up Fedex location for a mare who looks like she'll ovulate Sun-Mon. Tried to get them the freshest semen I could.

It is worth it when the kids start growing up and doing well, though. And these folks seem very nice and excited about having a Cybaby. They were very appreciative as well and that always help!
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Quote Originally Posted by cyriz's mom View Post

I "think" Donna is referring to a hole in the latex and not in the plastic outer liner, Cyndi, but I could be wrong. The marine epoxy works well for the plastic, but not for the latex. I've used bathroom latex - the kind you use for sealing around bathtubs - with fair success as a temporary hold. We also have moved the bladder up or down to get the hole on the outside of the AV. But, I also think Donna is using a Missouri, so if you end up wiht a hole in the bladder, you basically have to replace the whole darn thing. Also another reason to love the Inra French AV !

Good luck!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Its a Missouri and yes - its at the very top where the latex folds over and the penis would first enter it

There are little cracks that have developed along that outer edge and I guess one crack just kept getting deeper and bigger and the pinhole opened up

This one I bought new 2 years ago and its been used maybe 20-30 times the first year and maybe 30-40 times this year. Not excessive by any means compared to some operations and Ive been diligent about cleaning it, storing it properly and putting the latex conditioner on it as well

The timing sucks. They're like $500.00 up here. Debating whether I should get one from the States instead (far cheaper!), or try and patch this one for the remaining few breedings we *might* have left to do this year. With my luck though, a geyser will develop when I am running late and the FedEx guy is due here any second

Has anyone successfully patched a Missouri up top where the latex folds over?

In desperation I once patched a liner with duct tape and got through another 6 or so collections before it completely blew out .

I left it on the AV and just taped and taped the whole "collar" part until it was sealed up. We also used the disposable liners and I put extra lube where I thought there might be any "bumps" from the duct tape. It worked fine. Of course I ordered a new liner right away.

Thanks NoDQ! Great suggestion to get me through a few remaining collections in a pinch if we cant find a latex repair kit

If we had some dive shops close by, they should have latex repair kits for the wet suits, just dont have many / any around in this area

Anyone know offhand where the best buys for them are with US based suppliers?

Thanks again