The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New technology or snake oil?

http://therapyproducts.net/articles/...tophoresis.php

I know nothing about this. Thoughts?

Iontophoresis is nothing new--I remember using it when I was a student athletic trainer in college in the mid-1980s. However, traditionally it requires an electrical stimulus or other source of reasonably intense, focused energy (we used ultrasound) to cause the movement of medications across the skin or tissue in question. Whether a tiny microcurrent such as they describe here can be effective is one of the first questions I'd have.

The notion that this somewhat humble therapy can effect what they are essentially saying is a "cure" for things like arthritis, splints, and degenerative diseases of joints, bones, and soft tissues, however, seems a bit of a grandiose leap.

They do, to their credit, attempt to provide some research to back up their product. I have not gone through it, but if I had an interest in this type of product (I don't, based on paragraph 2 above) I would be looking very hard and critically to see the evidence they have to support their SPECIFIC claims that the product can "resolve ringbone" (really?) and "smooth rough joint edges".

Vague citations that sort of apply to the specific technology without actually showing its benefits in specific conditions in horses just don't cut it. However, that is what these types of product websites typically provide in lieu of good, hard, solid evidence.

I *wish* these modalities were properly researched PRIOR to offering them for sale. But although that is the RIGHT way to do it, it is not the PROFITABLE way.
    Click here before you buy.

I have an iontopheresis unit that I got from this company. It's worked wonders on specific issues...though whether it's due to the actual iontopheresis of the drugs (sarapin and dex) or if injecting them would do the same thing, I don't know. I've also tried the patches and seen absolutely no effect at all.

I don't think that "snake oil" is the right term, but relatively ineffective is how I would sum up the patches.

Ok, thanks, that's what I was thinking probably was the case.

I can't answer how it would really affect horses, but I can say that years ago Iontopheresis was a Godsend for my back when I had a bulging disk. It took several sessions, but after about the fourth session, when surgery was looming in front of me and causing me nightmares, I woke up the following day totally pain free. I have NEVER had another problem with that disk! Judging strictly on my one experience, I would be willing to give it a try on horse, when other reasonable options were not working.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    I can't answer how it would really affect horses, but I can say that years ago Iontopheresis was a Godsend for my back when I had a bulging disk. It took several sessions, but after about the fourth session, when surgery was looming in front of me and causing me nightmares, I woke up the following day totally pain free. I have NEVER had another problem with that disk! Judging strictly on my one experience, I would be willing to give it a try on horse, when other reasonable options were not working.
    Yeah, I might too if nothing else working. Glad no more problems with your back.