The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jimmy Wofford Clinic, Lexington, KY Nov 3rd and 4th UPDATED

Paperwork is ready!!
    Link here:
    http://www.landnequine.com/wp-conten...EntryForm.docx

Facebook event:
    http://www.facebook.com/events/156344954502689/

The first thread was "poofed" because I apparently violated advertising terms as it was assumed I would be profiting from hosting this clinic. Let me stress that I am trying to provide this clinic to attendees AT COST and not for personal gain. With that being said, hopefully I have appeased the moderators and we can continue conversing there as I still have lots of questions on how best to host my first clinic.
    Basic details are these (officially paperwork will hopefully be completed tonight):
    Dates: November 3rd and 4th, 2012
    Day 1: Gymnastics
    Day 2: SJ with a focus on XC
    Group 1: 2'6-3'
    Group 2: 3'-3'6
    Group 3: 3'6+
    Cost: Approximately $175/day (finalizing this number when I hear back on a total for travel expenses for Jimmy)
    Stabling: Free dry stall if clinic is paid in full 30 days prior
    Stalls, paddocks, parking, shavings, hay and limited accommodations all available. Please PM or preferably, contact me at landnequine@gmail.com. 23 spots available total each day, approximately 15+ already filled. Creating a Facebook group to which I will link as soon as it is up and running.

So questions:
    What should I do regarding providing food/refreshments during the day? Lunch catered or boxed lunches with drinks available for purchase? We are quite a distance from town and I don't want anyone to go hungry or thirsty.
    Should I rent a PA system or a megaphone for Jimmy? Is that standard practice?
    Should I rent bleaches or request that participants bring chairs? I have no seating except upon the area fence. Hopefully we will be in the outdoor as the indoor is only 75x200 but I need to prepare for everything.
    Any suggestions that have made clinics run smoothly are appreciated. What are some nice extra touches that participants appreciate?

Thank you all for your interest and I look forward to meeting each of you!
    Last edited by olympicdreams04; Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
    "Gallop as if you were to die tomorrow, jump as if you were to live forever."

I wanna go!

I think it would be easier on you if the participants just brought chairs. Assuming I make can make, I plan to bring some water in snacks, but maybe we could chip in with you to have some available as well. Maybe take up an order for the boxed lunched ahead of time. Hmm, not sure on the sound system. Maybe others can speak up on that.

We had a PA for our last clinician and set it up but never used it.

We could have definitely used one last year in Nov for Kyle... windy and cold and no one could hear. We all followed him around like ducks straining to hear him.

Provide water and take orders for boxed lunches from panera or similar. It's a lot easier that way and people can eat while they watch.

Participants can bring chairs.

Don't forget insurance!

Exclamation tips

PA system, yes!boxed lunches would be nice, ask for any special needs, can't/ won't eat certain foods on the application form; if you know the choices available get a head count now, before the day;bringing their own chairs is probably easiest. Jim used to like to start with a classroom session which, called for a black/ grease board he can draw on. Ask about that; good luck, I'm sure it will go well If you can provide him with a cold beer a the end of the day; he will be happy!
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Yes to Panera catering! I did that for our tailgating group at Rolex and it was great.

Excited!
    Click here before you buy.

Also, the mods have never run a clinic if they think there is actually any PROFIT, unless I'm just doing it wrong.

Keep the suggestions coming! November in KY can be pretty temperate in my experience but sometimes you just never know. It usually snows around the first of December but we shouldn't be in any danger of the cold white stuff the first weekend in November. It is often windy on our hill though and I do worry about everyone being able to hear. Will investigate this further . If asking everyone to bring chairs seems fair, that is really the best option. DW, did you have Panera come to you or pick up boxed lunches from them? Lauren, horses and profit? Mods must be kidding!!

I picked up the Panera since the KHP was outside of their delivery area.

But depending on ride times I would not mind helping to shlep stuff.

Updated with Details, Entry Form, and Release!

Do you have any auditing information available?? (If it's possible)

My entry is in the mail!

I do believe Jimmy may have a sound system he uses.

Food @ every Jimmy clinic or Stephen Bradley, Collen Rutledge I have participated or had my horses in, the Hosts usually set up a table w/ gratus snacks, fruit, water and in cold weather a few crock pots of hot soup you can sort of slurp from a cup along w/ bowls of trail mix or Granola/energy bars. Cofee, hot chocolate etc.

You will be so busy riding and when a group is done clinician takes a potty /snack break and moves along to next. Not much food social time.

@creekridge: auditors welcome and free, please bring your own chair.
    @DW: will keep an eye on the mailbox!
    @judy: Jimmy has a rudimentary sound system but I am going to research other options. Thanks for suggestions on food and timing. I will probably have groups from 9-11, 12-2, and 3-5 unless Jimmy prefers not to have breaks. Hopefully this will allow a little time for a breather for everyone, ring dragging, jump resetting, and social time.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I SOOO want to go but not sure yet that the youngster I'm riding will be up for the 2'6"-3' group. I'm hopeful but not quite enough yet to spend a few hundred on it. Keep me posted as you get entries though... might take a chance as it gets closer (of course my plan was to do Octoberfest with him so that would be trailering to KY 2 weekends in a row... hmmmm)
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Will do, tle. These groups are sort of parameters right now and I will tailor to individual needs as much as I can. You could always stay in KY for both and a little mini-vaca. Keeneland will be running.

Riders, please give me a heads up if you are interested in 3'3-3'6+. Right now clinic is over half full with only two riders above 3'. I will cater groups to demamd but just trying to gauge if there will even be sufficient interest to merit an UL group.

I just mailed my entry yesterday... yet another measly fence jumper!! We would love a 2'6-3ft group
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Did you get my entry? I signed up for 3'-3'6". If my trainer comes (she wants to but is not a plan-ahead type, LOL) she'd do the 3'6"-and-up group.

Jimmy does have a sound system. Why not ask him if it will be suitable for your needs?