The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Common courtesy/ buying and selling

Recently started marketing daughter's pony for sale - had a BUNCH of interest within the first, say, 5 days. Sent videos to no less that 20 people. Out of that 20, only 2 or 3 even bothered to respond and say, 'got your video, pony wont work,' etc.

The other 15-17 people never even responded. I was sort of surprised that people are so discourteous. Whenever I request and receive a video, I ALWAYS respond right away.

Just out of curiosity, is this normal? Or are people doing a lot of window shopping and aren't really serious buyers?

When I was horse shopping two years ago I found the same to be true from the other side. As a perspective buyer I was SO frustrated with sellers ignoring my calls/emails. Is it so difficult to return and call or email? You Do want to sell your horse right? At least call and tell me if the horse sold instead of ignoring me!

I have never been on the selling end of the spectrum, but I don't enjoy the buying side!

Quote Originally Posted by myalter1 View Post
    Recently started marketing daughter's pony for sale - had a BUNCH of interest within the first, say, 5 days. Sent videos to no less that 20 people. Out of that 20, only 2 or 3 even bothered to respond and say, 'got your video, pony wont work,' etc.

The other 15-17 people never even responded. I was sort of surprised that people are so discourteous. Whenever I request and receive a video, I ALWAYS respond right away.

Just out of curiosity, is this normal? Or are people doing a lot of window shopping and aren't really serious buyers?
    Doesn't mean they are window shopping -- just that they don't like your pony.

You and I would email to say thanks but no thanks, but as you see, a lot of other people wouldn't.

I'd try to grow a thicker skin or it's gonna be a long process to sell the pony! If you're already upset, just wait until someone want to try it 5 times without buying it, or dicker about price, or PPE it and then try to low ball you because of a shadow on the film of a perfectly sound pony...

When I am a seller juggling multiple inquiries I don't really worry about the people who AREN'T interested in seeing the horse. I guess they could email me back to say thanks but after seeing the video it's a no, but when things are still in the all-email stage I am not that worried if I send off a video, or respond to some questions, and don't hear back.

When I decided to sell one of my horses late last year, yes this is exactly what happened with almost all of the people that contacted me. I heard absolutely nothing from the majority once I sent picture, video, gave a description, and/or answered questions. I really was wondering if the internet was eating my messages? What is something I wrote? Something I didn't write?!?

She ended up selling via a weird word of mouth path. No one who contacted me through one of my ads online ended up buying her. Most were what you described, or e-mailed me a lot and then disappeared.

Best if luck! I hope you find a great home for your pony without the hassle I experienced.

Usually people that are NOT interested after seeing a video just drop it and forget about it. Some may not want to offend you and some don't even think about responding to you. In this market, there is so much competition, just worry about the one's who show interest. If you've had that much initial interest you may want to re-address your pricing.

Well, this particular problem goes away when you just upload the videos to youtube. Eliminates sending 20 videos out.

You mention that you are trying to sell your daughter's pony but you do not mention if you are a trainer too. It is possible what you say as a mom about the pony is not reflected in the videos. The videos may be of poor quality; demonstrate errors; be too long; not reflect the purchase price.

So best to load on to youtube and refer people there. There is nothing wrong with sending a follow up email like "just checking that my email reached you". But of 20 videos went out and no one bit then I suspect your marketing ad differs greatly from the actual product and if that occurred to me I would just walk the other way.

If people are interested, they'll be in touch. Frustrating as it is to wonder why someone never responded, you just have to let it go, assume that no news is bad news and your pony wasn't what they were looking for, and continue your marketing efforts elsewhere. It may be that some weren't serious buyers or that they didn't feel the need to communicate further when they weren't interested in your pony.

well for one thing I know you are describing the pony as she is on the video because i know you personally, but I will say that during my recent run of pony hunting, there were several times that I did not respond either way about the pony I'd received the video on. In those instances, it was because I was still considering, or wanted to compare them with others that I was waiting on etc. I never wanted to rule something out entirely until I was done with my shopping altogether.

The times that I did say the pony was not what I was looking for, I do recall that I got somewhat snotty responses back from the owners, stuff like, "well in this price range, this is what you will get" etc. So honestly, sometimes I just didn't respond either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    well for one thing I know you are describing the pony as she is on the video because i know you personally, but I will say that during my recent run of pony hunting, there were several times that I did not respond either way about the pony I'd received the video on. In those instances, it was because I was still considering, or wanted to compare them with others that I was waiting on etc. I never wanted to rule something out entirely until I was done with my shopping altogether.

The times that I did say the pony was not what I was looking for, I do recall that I got somewhat snotty responses back from the owners, stuff like, "well in this price range, this is what you will get" etc. So honestly, sometimes I just didn't respond either way.
    Yup.

I emailed on a horse a bit ago that was listed without a price, and when I got more information the price was well above my range. I was really, really impressed that when I told the seller I couldn't afford the horse/thanks for her time, she responded with a couple trainers who might have something priced lower that still met my needs. For sure, she is on my list of people I would deal with again. Her response was really courteous, and I respected the time she took to make that recommendation. It also means that if someone in our barn with that budget was looking for a horse like that, I'd not hesitate to send them her way

Sadly, the majority got nasty when I said thanks but no thanks.

I agree, put a short 1-2 minute video on YouTube and that will eliminate most of the inquiries.

Prepare a longer, more detailed video for those who inquire. You can also put that on YouTube and just set it to private and they need the link to view.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    I'm on both sides of this - selling going warmblood hunters and prospects and buying hunter ponies. On the sell side, most people don't respond after you've provided them the requested video/links and they decide that they're no longer interested - your horse is no longer top of mind to them, life is busy, other things to do - no problem. I don't take it as rude -- it's just the way it is. It's an issue of priorities: selling the horse remains a very high priority for the seller (and very much top of mind), but buying the seller's particular horse is no longer of any priority to the disinterested buyer. This causes a disconnect in expectations and the seller feels "jilted". It's great when you get honest feedback, but I'm definitely not "put out" when I don't.

On the buy side, I thank people for sending the video/link, but after that no longer follow up if I'm not interested because when I have, the seller typically wants to know why and takes offense regardless of what is said. Seriously, what should you say to the seller when the pony priced at $25K and advertised as "fancy" "10+ mover" "hack and over fences winner" in reality has a block head, is a tough measure, moves like a sewing machine, and has never shown over fences any where and "has ribbons" in pleasure classes at a local schooling show in a field of 3?

The best though was the seller that emailed me after I said I wasn't interested and wrote that their pony was as nice as any of the ponies we owned and was plenty good enough for the local schooling show series they'd seen us attend (apparently never saw us anywhere else) and then intimated that my girls probably didn't have the skills necessary to move up to a fancier pony any way. Uh OK...
    Last edited by Bent Hickory; Jul. 27, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
    "That is why you have a pony..." - Edgewood, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Hickory View Post
    I'm on both sides of this - selling going warmblood hunters and prospects and buying hunter ponies. On the sell side, most people don't respond after you've provided them the requested video/links and they decide that they're no longer interested - your horse is no longer top of mind to them, life is busy, other things to do - no problem. I don't take it as rude -- it's just the way it is. It's an issue of priorities: selling the horse remains a very high priority for the seller (and very much top of mind), but buying the seller's particular horse is no longer of any priority to the disinterested buyer. This causes a disconnect in expectations and the seller feels "jilted".

On the buy side, I thank people for sending the video/link, but after that no longer follow up if I'm not interested because when I have, the seller typically wants to know why and takes offense regardless of what is said. Seriously, what should you say to the seller when the pony priced at $25K and advertised as "fancy" "10+ mover" "hack and over fences winner" in reality has a block head, is a tough measure, moves like a sewing machine, and has never shown over fences any where and "has ribbons" in pleasure classes at a local schooling show in a field of 3?

The best though was the seller that emailed me after I said I wasn't interested and wrote that their pony was as nice as any of the ponies we owned and was plenty good enough for the local shows they'd seen us attend (apparently never saw us anywhere else) and then intimated that my girls probably didn't have the skills necessary to move up to a fancier pony any way. Uh OK...
    ha ha, anyone who has seen your girls ride I'm sure would know they are amazing riders. It is ridiculous though, sellers need to keep their personal feelings out of it in those instances.

I used to let sellers know thanks but no thanks in a polite way. However, some sellers have gotten resentful and defended their horse. I think a lot of buyers want to avoid that confrontation. Most sellers are very professional about it, but if a buyers runs into the other kind they're likely to not want to take the chance on letting the seller know they aren't interested in their horse.

I don't think it is discourteous at all. You are the seller, you should be happy to get your pony's video and info out there as widely as you can. If I were in your shoes I'd rather not wade through 20 "thanks but no thanks" emails.

The phrase in your thread title is your answer.
    Common courtesy = they have no courtesy, but are common.

I can not think of any reason why someone should not at least acknowledge your effort to send a video with some kind of response. As you wrote, it is just "common courtesy".

I would also be a little miffed.

Good luck with your pony.
    P.S. I just noticed this is my 666 post. I think it might be an omen for those rude people. lol
    Last edited by STA; Jul. 27, 2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: addition
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

I am in the middle of selling a horse and experiencing the same thing (although the videos are on YouTube, so I'm not sending them out.) I've tried to be very conscientious about following up with people on the same day they contact me. Lots of people have asked a whole bunch of questions, requiring lengthy responses/photos/etc, and then disappeared into thin air. I've been brutally honest about the horse in his ads, so I'm not sure what could 'suddenly appear' in the follow up that turns them off.

I will say, however, that I recently spent about 7 hours at the barn showing the horse to some shoppers who were late, ill-prepared, and for whom the horse was not appropriate... and all things considered, I'd rather just not get an email back instead of wasting a whole Saturday!

I think its best to post a link to the video on the ad. Then, those who like the video will contact you.

...and then there are those shoppers that are trying to find time to vet/try another, and might be waiting to see how that pans-out, before contacting you again...