The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Smile

The Grey Goose! He would dump his groom the first time they rode him, saying now that we know who's boss, he would be great afterwards. He let me ride him once with our 2 year old son sitting in front of me on a trail ride and was VERY careful not to do anything wrong.

I had a chance to ride a polo pony who had been imported from Argentina. Totally out of my element, small horse, double bridle, neck reining... it was all new in so many ways compared to how I usually rode- but that horse was so incredibly trained and in-tune and I guess forgiving... that he gave me a really memorable fantastic ride. I had never experienced anything like it before or since.

Coby van Baalen's old GP horse Bas was at our place. A friend bought him from the friend who imported him. Right after Willem died, she said that since Willem and Bas were almost identical, I might be cheered up a bit if I rode him.

Darling, darling, darli,ng horse. Loved him. Now in the Great Pasture along with Willem, the other best horse I ever rode.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I jumped a Nations Cup course on Pomone B, Pierre Jonquers D'Oriola World Champion mount in Buenos Aires in 1966, I think.
    He was a wonderful, kind gentleman and the mare was one of the nicest, smoothest, most polite horses I ever had the pleasure to ride and jump.
    She carried me around.

The horse I ride in lessons right now was a former open jumper (five foot fences?) and he's just a dear. By far the best bred and trained horse I've been on, although his brain's been known to turn off a time or two. I don't jump him, but he does lower level dressage like a pro.

And of course I have to mention my own old boy, whose name I stole for my handle here. Sure he was a lousy example of a Walker in many ways (pacey, would pace instead of canter if he thought he could get away with it, and didn't know what a head bob was)...but he carted me and several other greenie idiots around with the patience of a saint.

My trainers PSG Lusitano stallion. I got to have a few lessons on him so I could feel the lateral movements correctly. First lesson I couldn't even get him to walk a straight line. Last lesson we were doing lateral movements and piaffe. Truly eye opening for me, those lessons have improved my time with my pony ten fold.
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

I first learned to jump on a mare named Polly (barn name of course!). She was a winner at Madison Square Gardens during her "glory days".
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Bettina Drummond's old stud Junco. For about 10 minutes. Unforgettable, and it's been my goal to experience that kind of self carriage and lightness whenever I school my horse. I've had him 10 years and felt it only once..

Junco was phenomenal. Bettina gave me a great gift that day..

I rode a racing Paso Fino stallion, in Aruba. He was the guide horse for our trail ride. I convinced them to let me bring him home. Holy smokes was THAT a ride. This boy was so in-tune to my chi, he would adjust his speed just based on what I was thinking.

Best. Ride. Ever.

A World Champion 5-Gaited pony. What a blast...talk about a little powerhouse! I also rode his sire- he taught me what a good slow gait and rack felt like- he was well past his prime, but he was still 100% show horse!

Default best horse to ride

I got to ride WGC TWH The Beau Regard

When I was about 15 (many years ago ) I boarded with a woman that had an Andalusian that was trained all the way through Grand Prix and could perform the Airs about the Ground movements. She had acquired him in a sale from one of the dinner show places that went bankrupt. I will never forget the feeling riding him. Up until him I always felt dressage was so boring. He taught me that it wasn't.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

I rode Caucalis, a Selle Francais who was ridden by Patrice Delaveau in the 2000 Sydney Olympics for Team France. He was a sweet boy - LOVED him.

When I first got into horses (at 38) I took a working student position at a good sized boarding/training facility. I was smitten with this old gray Andalusian gelding, fell head over heels, and worked off his purchase price. He was the most exasperating horse. I was given a video when I purchased him and it was not until later when I popped the video in to watch that I learned how well schooled my horse really was. The video was of the late Nuno Olivera schooling MY horse. He was only going to do it if I asked the right way! He taught me so much. I loved him greatly. RIP Andiamo.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

I had a horse in training a while ago and I went to go see him one day. When I showed up the trainer told me "You're going to ride this mare today." She's a 3-gaited Saddlebred mare that I was oohing and ahhing about a few weeks earlier. She was super fun to ride... a big motor, but sane. It was probably one of the coolest things ever, especially since it came as a surprise when I walked in there.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Two come to mind. One: an ex-grand prix horse who was so. much. fun. It was shocking to me how easy he was to ride and how responsive he was. I'm sure a rank beginner could not ride him bc he was so responsive but otherwise, he was point and shoot. And had The.BEST.Canter I ever rode.

Horse two was actually much more accomplished than the first: He did the Olympic trials, won the Grand Prix at Spruce Meadows, did the Puissance, the whole nine yards. But he was a cross-cantering, fumbly-gaited, head-in-the-air, jarring ride. I did not jump him however; only flatted, and I was told he evened out nicely over fences. However I have seen videos of him in Grand Prix and cross-cantering was a regular occurrence for him. I cannot imagine riding to big fences on a horse like that but he was unbelievably talented.

Hmmmm, while I'd like to say my ride on the Arabian stallion, Morafic, was the best (and he was awesome), but I really have to say the best horse I've ever ridden was my wonderful little Appaloosa gelding, Modern Jazz (horrible registered name JimBrians Showboy). He could do it all and would do it with 110% of his heart.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

My late show horse Peppy Everyone who ever rode him also said the same thing. He was SO athletic and he truly loved what he did and that made him very willing. We showed in reining but he loved cutting cows. I got the opportunity to work cows with him once and it was funtastic The bar for every horse I ever ride now is very high. I honestly don't think that I will find or ride another one like him.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

I was 14 and on a horse shopping trip to France with my trainer for another client of hers. I got to ride one of Eric Navet's 1.60m grand prix horses. He was powerful, simple, and not to mention a stallion. They just kept raising and raising the fences. I probably jumped him about 4'9. I WISH I learned the horse's name or got pictures. Best. Experience. EVER.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

My little mare will always hold that #1 spot in my heart. She may not be the fanciest horse we've ever shared an arena with, but every ride leaves me wanting so much more! I love and appreciate the opportunities I have to ride other great horses, but each time I do so I realize how special my little girl is and how lucky I am. She's very sensitive and is not a packer for everyone, but after 8 years together we are well on the way to figuring each other out

One of my most memorable rides however was on a VERY neat up-and-coming horse my trainer has in her barn right now. He is full brother to her BN grand prix stallion. I had the opportunity to play with him this spring, and WOW! He's showing 3rd now but has his 3s, and half steps and pirouette and certainly all of the makings to do all that his brother did and more. All of the sensitivity and responsiveness that I love about my mare with just spectacular movement - that was the neatest part. I've ridden most of the movements on schoolmasters, but to feel it on a horse with that much suspension and "fire" was something else! Can't wait to see how he develops in the next year or two!