The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Good horsey Kindle books

So my lovely husband bought me a Kindle for my birthday. I've got a bunch of free books so far (mostly classics I want to re-read), but haven't delved in to actually purchasing books yet.

What would you recommend? What good horsey books are available on Kindle? How many others have a Kindle?

I have a Kindle Fire. If you are on Facebook there is a group called ENT that offers about a dozen freebees a day and also the Kindle Fire Dept. It's usually a mix of fiction YA and children's books with some cook books. Also christian romance. There are probably other sites.

So far my two favorite horsey books have been The Cart Before the Corpse and One Hoof in the Grave which were free on ENT. Other freebees I have liked were the Jakarta Pandemic, Sector C and Extinction Point. Hmmm, I seem to be into doomsday scenarios. I haven't read Zenyatta yet, another freebe. Usually if someone spots a horsey freebe they will post it on Off Course ut they don't necessarily stay free for to long.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

If you don't need free books (or are willing to pay for them besides the free books) many, many horse books are also available for the kindle. It will say on amazon if there's a kindle edition.

The free book emails are absolutely addictive! They really only do stay free for a few hours, though, so you have to get on it quickly if you want them.

Some are junk, but you can just erase them off your kindle if you don't like them, since they were free.

I just read the Antithesis series recently and enjoyed it. Focuses on a foxhunt in the deep south. For Dressage, must read The Dressage Chronicles. Also of note would be Barn Politics and a trilogy of which I can't remember the name but the books are The Hunt, The Chase and The Kill also fox hunting centered. I have a ton more on my Kindle but it's located at home and I'm at work

Get the fiona walker books, French Relations and Well Groomed. The 3rd book on the Tash and Hugo series came out last year....So much fun!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

The Dressage Chronicles is a great read!

Oh I didn't know the Tash and Hugo story was more than one book! I bought Kiss and Tell and read that one, which one in the series is it?

I read Dark Horse and The Alibi Man both by Tami Hoag. I got both of them through the county library e-book selection. All the benefits of using the library and never leaving your computer chair. Also no late fees.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    So far my two favorite horsey books have been The Cart Before the Corpse and One Hoof in the Grave which were free on ENT. Other freebees I have liked were the Jakarta Pandemic, Sector C and Extinction Point. Hmmm, I seem to be into doomsday scenarios. I haven't read Zenyatta yet, another freebe. Usually if someone spots a horsey freebe they will post it on Off Course ut they don't necessarily stay free for to long.
    Thank you, will look those up. I did see a freebe on here the other day, which I downloaded. It was okay, fairly cheesey and predictable ... but I read the whole thing nonetheless!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
    If you don't need free books (or are willing to pay for them besides the free books) many, many horse books are also available for the kindle. It will say on amazon if there's a kindle edition.

The free book emails are absolutely addictive! They really only do stay free for a few hours, though, so you have to get on it quickly if you want them.

Some are junk, but you can just erase them off your kindle if you don't like them, since they were free.
    I don't mind paying for books. I tried looking through my wishlist of horsey books on Amazon but none seemed available on Kindle. Or maybe I need to go to the Kindle site first and search by title?

Free is good but I'm not going to read something just because it's free. My reading time is precious and rare and although I sometimes enjoy 'lite' reading (see above), I try not to!

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceWife View Post
    I just read the Antithesis series recently and enjoyed it. Focuses on a foxhunt in the deep south. For Dressage, must read The Dressage Chronicles. Also of note would be Barn Politics and a trilogy of which I can't remember the name but the books are The Hunt, The Chase and The Kill also fox hunting centered. I have a ton more on my Kindle but it's located at home and I'm at work
    That's great, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffRed View Post
    Get the fiona walker books, French Relations and Well Groomed. The 3rd book on the Tash and Hugo series came out last year....So much fun!
    Thanks!

I liked "All God's creatures" by Carolyn McSparren - was a freebie at the time. Entertaining adventures of a female vet.
    The corpse before the cart as mentioned above.
    And of course you can get all the classics - Black Beauty, the Black Stallion, Flicka, etc as freebies also.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I loved the book on Snowman, which I read on my Nook. I would assume it's available on Kindle.

The Snowman book is on kindle; Flicka is not. A lot of the Black Stallion books are on kindle.
    Don't worry about wasting reading time on books that are duds. If they don't start pleasing you within 10% or even 20%, delete them and go on. I've found some marvelous books from the freebies (I use the blog, "Books on the Knob"), as well as a lot of mediocrity and some downright junk. It's really just like buying horses, only cheaper.
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

I have a Nook, but a lot of the books available on one are available on the other.

Riding Lessons by Sara Gruen
    Flying Changes by Sara Gruen

Some geared towards younger individuals that I still enjoyed (I'm 26):
    Canterwood Crest Series
    The A Circuit Series