The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default First HT in 6 years...

Hi! I'm mainly a lurker but I just wanted to run this by all of you.

I'm planning on entering my first HT since 2006 and I'm so excited! In '06 we did BN and N, and while dressage was NOT our strong point (and still isn't), XC and SJ were not a problem.

Since '06 we basically took time off for me to finish school etc. Now that I'm working full time I'm able to take regular lessons with a great H/J trainer. My jumping ability has progressed a TON since I started working with her. We went XC schooling last weekend and my horse was a star. We jumped quite a bit of N, T, and some P level jumps. She's definitely in her element doing XC and was quite bold but controllable towards all of the jumps (minus a chevron which was my fault). I was honestly surprised how well we both did because we haven't schooled XC in 3-4 years.

This leads me to my question. Considering how my horse schooled XC, I'm thinking about entering N at this HT. I feel fairly confident that I'm better than I was before (back in '06) due to my trainer. I almost think that BN won't be challenging enough...so I'm wondering if I'm being too bold in entering N at our first HT in a long time. I almost forgot to add, we're planning one more XC school before the HT.

I realize the decision is ultimately up to me, but can you all offer any insight? The HT that I'm entering is GVRDC in NY...if that makes a difference.

Thanks all!

Welcome back!

I have no insight into GVRDC - and how the course is might be important. I think some venues are more challenging than others, for example I think King Oak fall event (novice) is most suitable as "last event to run before a move up to T", because I think its challenging for the level. Also, some events have historically more challenging SJ than others, so yes, while the jumps are only 2'11", they may have some wicked turns and bending lines etc.

I also don't think there is a huge difference between BN & N. The only real advantage to BN I think is that it is really easy to trot the jumps if you get into trouble.

What does your trainer think? Anyway to run an unrecognized at BN before you go? Will give you an idea of where your at, and see how your horse handles showing after a few years of no showing

Also- nothing wrong with being underwhelmed your first time out in a long time

Thanks Judysmom! I'm so excited it's practically all I can think about. Originally I was going to come back at BN, but I think the elation and adrenaline made me want to go for Novice.

I definitely need to talk to my trainer about it again. We had a brief discussion before my lesson this week, but we were interrupted. I think she thinks that it would be fine at N but we should talk about it again.

I don't know of any unrecognized events before the HT, I'd have to look around. We did go to a small jumper schooling show a few weeks ago where we jumped up to 2'6" and it went really well. The 2'9" classes were cancelled because we were the only ones who entered. We are jumping higher than that in my lessons, but working out some kinks...

The omnibus says that the courses are challenging but inviting, so maybe BN is the way to go. The closing date is Aug 7, so I have a little time to decide.

Thanks for your thoughts!