The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul. 26, 2012
    Posts
    26

    Default Zone 2 Hunter Finals

    Talk to me about zone 2 hunter finals in Harrisburg, PA. My daughter, who competes in the children's hunter horses, would like to qualify her horse for next year. Trainer agrees it would be good to work toward a goal like this. What's the scoop on this final? Is it worth all of the point chasing throughout the year? How much do you really have to show throughout the year? Any info would be great!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar. 5, 2007
    Posts
    1,704

    Default

    Conditions can change from year to year although at present you need to count on going to at least 15 shows as only your top 15 shows count toward qualifying.
    If you have several bad shows then you need to do more to make up for the bad shows.

    Rule of thumb used to be 15 champ or Res champ plus 1000 points to be assured of a spot at the finals but I think the last few years it has been possible to qualify with less points.

    The 'year' for quaifying is not the same as the points year so
    if you want to qualify for next year you might want to start this fall.

    http://www.ushja.org/zones/zone2finals.aspx



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul. 26, 2012
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    Conditions can change from year to year although at present you need to count on going to at least 15 shows as only your top 15 shows count toward qualifying.
    If you have several bad shows then you need to do more to make up for the bad shows.

    Rule of thumb used to be 15 champ or Res champ plus 1000 points to be assured of a spot at the finals but I think the last few years it has been possible to qualify with less points.

    The 'year' for quaifying is not the same as the points year so
    if you want to qualify for next year you might want to start this fall.

    http://www.ushja.org/zones/zone2finals.aspx
    Thanks for the info! Sounds like a heavy load of point chasing... :/



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 21, 2011
    Posts
    347

    Default

    The point cut-offs to get in last year (it changes every year) are on the Zone 2 page of ryegate.com. The children's hunter horses usually require slightly fewer points than the ponies, but in order to qualify you still need to attend quite a number of shows and have good to great results. It is possible to get in having gone to fewer shows if you do exceptionally well at those shows (win every class out of a large number of entries, etc.) The qualifying year does run September thru August so ideally your daughter would need to start getting to shows this fall. 15 shows is a good estimate, give or take, depending on how she does at each show.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul. 26, 2012
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westie55 View Post
    The point cut-offs to get in last year (it changes every year) are on the Zone 2 page of ryegate.com. The children's hunter horses usually require slightly fewer points than the ponies, but in order to qualify you still need to attend quite a number of shows and have good to great results. It is possible to get in having gone to fewer shows if you do exceptionally well at those shows (win every class out of a large number of entries, etc.) The qualifying year does run September thru August so ideally your daughter would need to start getting to shows this fall. 15 shows is a good estimate, give or take, depending on how she does at each show.
    Does it matter if the shows are AA/A/B/C rated?



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb. 21, 2011
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UpAndOver92 View Post
    Does it matter if the shows are AA/A/B/C rated?
    No; Children's Hunter is always "C" rated regardless of the overall rating of the show. The only thing that changes the amount of points awarded is how many entries are in the class. A blue ribbon at a C and a AA show that both have 15 entries in the class would be worth the same.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul. 26, 2012
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westie55 View Post
    No; Children's Hunter is always "C" rated regardless of the overall rating of the show. The only thing that changes the amount of points awarded is how many entries are in the class. A blue ribbon at a C and a AA show that both have 15 entries in the class would be worth the same.
    Great info, thanks!



Similar Threads

  1. Zone 2 hunter finals- tips/advice
    By SUET1999 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Oct. 10, 2012, 02:45 PM
  2. Zone II Hunter Finals
    By LetsChat in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Oct. 24, 2010, 08:30 PM
  3. Zone 2 Hunter Finals
    By shedllybip in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: Oct. 23, 2009, 06:36 PM
  4. Zone 2 Hunter Finals Results
    By etopolsk in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: Oct. 19, 2009, 01:23 PM
  5. Zone Finals?
    By anony2 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Sep. 28, 2009, 11:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness