The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default UPDATE Pg. 3 - Are Dog People As Crazy As Horse People? (FYI - KRAYZIER!!)

I'm heartbroken and frustrated so this is a bit of a vent. And for that, I apologize upfront.

I made arrangements with a breeder to bring home another spaniel puppy as a playmate for my younger male as my older female is getting to that cranky "leave me alone" stage in her life. He likes to wrestle and rough house and she does not. So, it seemed to be the right time to open my home to another smaller dog.

Recently, I rehomed a special needs great dane puppy. (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=345454) He was a day away from being euthanized and I offered to take him. I found him a great home through COTH and he's living the life of a very spoiled dog with a wonderful family. I get updates and love to see how he's growing. I would have loved to have kept him, and have pangs of guilt that I didn't, but I know my small house wouldn't have been ideal for him.

The breeder of the spaniel caught wind of this and wrote me today to tell me that she didn't feel comfortable with me getting one of her dogs because I'm involved in "rescue." She didn't want one of her dogs labeled as a rescue and her name to be tarnished because of it. I tried to dispel her hesitation about things and explain the situation, but it does kind of bother me that it had to go that far.

Since when does doing a good thing for a dog in need make you a kray-zee rescuer? I'm sad because I was really looking forward to bringing this guy home and already went out and bought puppy food, collar and leash, puppy crate, bed, toys, etc. for his arrival. I've probably spent upwards of $200 in preparing to bring the little guy home. But I guess that's not the thing that really chaps my a$$ it's more that she has deemed me "unfit" so to speak. Anyone that knows me and my dogs know that my dogs want for nothing. I can provide glowing vet, groomer, trainer, dog walker, and boarding kennel references but that's not good enough. I rescued and rehomed a dog therefore I am shunned.

This is my second poor experience with a dog breeder. The first one I dealt with sold me a dog and lied about the pedigree for my first guy. And now this one has criticized me for trying to do something good for a dog in need.

I guess it really is true that no good deed ever goes unpunished.
    Last edited by Snowflake; Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM.

In a word. Yes.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Our dogs are either from the pound or side-of-the-road. We tried a rescue org once and apparently we were not a good match because we yes, really, had a river across the road from our property. Wow, golly gee-it is oh, two feet deep in most places. I am NOT knocking rescues. But I would say that many dog people are crazy.
    I'm probably one. So is DH. But then, his step dad would cook three different meals and let Al the Pom choose which one he wanted.

The anti purebred movement has gotten so extreme that many responsible breeders such as myself who used to whole heartedly support rescue are no longer comfortable with it. In your case I would have certainly let you have the puppy, but I do understand where some people are coming from.

Yes, dog people are crazy!!

You did a great thing for that Great Dane puppy. I'm so sorry you are getting "dinged" for it. Ugh.

I have never bought a dog from a breeder, but I've had rescues turn up their nose at me for one reason or another...never mind that every pet I've owned died of old age, I'm an ex vet tech and I have great references from every animal person I've done business with, including local Animal Control. Whatever....some folks trying to place animals are more into control and some unobtainable "perfection" than actually getting an animal into the best, real life, environment possible.

Some of it, I KNOW to be politics and who likes who. I have someone very close to me who does home visits for a breed rescue and gets to decide who gets a dog and who doesn't. I care for their personal dog when they are out of town and know all the ins and outs of their daily routines. Their dog is overweight, rarely gets out of the house and the person recently ran out of dog food due to distraction and the dog didn't get fed for two days (not actually a disaster, since she is FAT, but it shows the lack of priority given to dog care). Dog is also regularly flea ridden and not on regular flea/tick meds...ask me how fleas got into MY house last summer . Never mind the worms. Sometimes it's all connections and random non-thinking rules, not objective thinking about what is best for an animal.

I work with a collie rescue. Normal people (for the most part), normal concerns. You don't have to jump through hoops for a collie. You do have to give references and have home visit and vet reference. They had no problem adopting to me with a horse farm, board fence and wood floors. Oddly, the wood floors were a problem for another rescue.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Well, yes, dog people are certifiable, I know first hand also.

Training dogs for almost 40 years with a performance dog club, I remember the days where breeders would not sell to an obedience home because those were making the dogs work.

Many years later, at an agility show, this one small miniature poodle breeder with very nice dogs was overhearing me tell someone how nice her dogs were, she had just run with one.

Out of the blue, she interrupted me and told me she would never sell me a puppy because my dog was snake bitten and she could not live with herself if she sold me a puppy and it was snake bitten.

I had no intention of getting a poodle at all, not after grooming up to three of Grandma's poodles for many years.
    I still don't know where she got any such idea or felt she had to tell me off, when I was talking to someone else and being complimentary about her dogs.

I think that being a breeder must be some kind of extra crazy craziness.

I would write that one breeder off and go look for another breeder.
    Her dogs, her choice who she sells them to.

Dog people can be crazy, horse people can be crazy, kiddie pageant people can be crazy, actually anyone who is really fanatical about something can be crazy.

The biggest loon I ever met was a Beanie Baby collector-yes, a grown man who probably has a house full of them even now, and is waiting for the market to revive. He traded them, waited in line at McDonalds to get the new ones, and even went to a convention or two as I recall.

Actually, at least the fanatics have an excuse. The people who are running around loose and are nuts that don't have a hobby to fixate on are really out there.

Maybe it's a good thing you found out how the breeder felt about this before you got the puppy. You're disappointed, but you'll find another pup and it will be lucky to join your pack. If you had the original puppy the breeder might have turned into a total nightmare, and it could have been ugly for a long time.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Actually, I think they may be crazier. I was looking into adopting a wheaton terrier from rescue but I finally gave up and adopted from aussie rescue instead. When my husband asked me why I gave up on a wheaton, I replied, "They are crazier than horse people."
    His response, "Oh, you don't need to say more."

My FIL breeds and shows and I wonder about his sanity on a daily basis. He does believe in working dogs though and his dogs aren't his children so I think your cash is as green as any other potential buyer's.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Yes, they can be - although a lot of people are really out there, regardless of what they are into.
    I think that whole rationale is ridiculous and I am so sorry to hear about this. The only thing I would say is that although it is terribly disappointing, don't give up. There are lots of puppies out there. I shopped for a puppy a while back and I dealt with what I felt was all kinds of craziness. Eventually it will all work out. If you can take care of another dog (and it sounds like you can) then keep looking and try not to take this personally. Obviously this woman has issues. Most breeders that I know have been involved in rescue from time to time - I've never heard of it being held against someone. Crazy.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Just watch the movie Best in Show. Not that movies equal reality. The movie is hysterical and the antics could easily be transferred to other hobbies.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Just watch the movie Best in Show. Not that movies equal reality. The movie is hysterical and the antics could easily be transferred to other hobbies.
    Hilarious movie!

Snowflake ~ I'm sorry you didn't get your puppy. I hope you find another one soon.

Worse. More of them.

Yes, I have found there are an equal amount of excellent breeders to horrible breeders. Same with rescues, some are wonderful and some are horrid.

Dog people are WORSE than horse people, let me tell you. As a dog groomer I deal with a lot of dog owners and whoo boy, they be crazy.

I once was grooming a dog and the owner wanted the eyelashes left (normall we cut eye lashes off, cause most people want us to and sometimes long eye lashes can end up rubbing the dog's eye) .She DID tell me but her dog's eyelashes were literally only 4 mm long. Since they were SO short and I cut off 99% of dog's I do eye lashes I just did the face like normal and she ended up with 3 mm long eyelashes instead of 4mm.
    THe lady FULL ON BAWLED her face off!!! Freaking out, tears streaming down her face bawling! We had to give her 50% off her groom!
    I have had people blame me for things their dog got 4 weeks after it's grooming.
    Had one lady who brought her wheaton in from grooming, matted each time but just was able to do a teddy bear on it. The lady was warned that the dog could have irritation due to having to get the matts out. She then decided that that was not the reason for it to have small red spots. No, it was cause the dog was allergic to the clipper blades (even though I use plastic snap on combs so the metal doesn't even come near the skin). So I would tell he I just scissored him but really I used my plastic snap on combs (then would scissor the dog like any groom. Clip to length you want, scissor to make sure 100% even). Finally she leaves the dog for months without grooming. He comes in matted SOLID from head to toe. I tell her that I am gonna have to shave him down to get the matts off. She says no no no you can't use clipper blades on him. I tell her there is no way to safely get under the matts with anything but a clipper blade. She tells me, no just use scissors (same material as blades *rolls eyes*). I tell her it is FAR to dangerous to try to use scissors that close to the skin where I won't even be able to see what I am doing. She argued with me for a while but I would not relent. I told her I would not risk cutting chunks out of her dog with a pair of scissors no matter what. She finally said she would have to bring her dog some where else and they both left. Never heard from her again but I have always wondered what happened. NO decent grooming shop would EVER take scissors to that dog instead of clippers. My guess is that after realizing that she took the dog home and attempted to do it herself, sliced her dog open, then took it to a different salon to have it shaved down cause she was too embarrassed to come back to me.

These are just 2 of the MANY crazy dog people stories I have, and I have only been a groomer for 6 years! Imagine how many stories I will have in 20 years! (if I can survive them for that long!)

horse people can be crazy, Dog people even more so, but if you ever go on an aquarium forum, that is a whole batch of CRAZY. I like fish and fish people, but so much drama and sillyness.

Call the breeder back and tell her she must be mistaken, and find out if there is any chance she will change her mind. have her come and visit your home, and show her the life he will live if he is yours.

Gosh, almost all the people I know in dogs both show and are active in rescue. Granted, mostly breed rescue (Cavaliers) but rescue nevertheless. It is never a strike against a person to rescue pets in my part of the world.

That said, dog people are absolutely bats. I think people who show cats are a little bit more nuts, but maybe not. I've seen the "Meet the Breed" displays at the big shows. Makes the decorated cat cages look pretty tame...
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Rose growers are crazy, bird breeders are crazy, I have met some seriously crazy stamp collectors. I think a passion can turn crazy rather easily, the most crazy ones I have ever met were cat show people..off the rails...

Actually I saw this from a slightly different perspective. If she thinks you are active in rescue, then it is safe to assume(yes wel all know what happens then) that your friends/family/coworkers know you get your dogs as rescues. So when you show up with super cute puppy an everybody ohhh's and ahhhhh's over him, the next logical question is where did he come from? "I got him from breeder XYZ" and now assumptions are made that he was a rescue fom the breeder not bought.

Suddenly word starts spreading that breeder XYZ's dogs have to be rescued and she can no longer sell to reputable homes.

Totally different take on it than most of you, but if that is the case then the OP's explanation should be more than sufficient and hopefully your new puppy will be home soon!!
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!