The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Quencher- Experience?

Lauren Sprieser routinely raves about Horse Quencher both on her COTH blog and on her FB page. http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/heat-essentials
    I am intrigued and considering giving it a go.

My horse is a good drinker at home and WAS a good drinker traveling until this spring. Now he routinely turns his nose up to the water I offer him. Occasionally I can get him to sip after he goes cross country (but he used to guzzle half a bucket as soon as his bridle was off), but that's about it. I've cleaned the container the water travels in and the buckets, and have let the hose run for a minute before filling it (sometimes the water sitting in the hose smells awful!), to no luck. He's a black horse and a total over achiever in the sweating department, so I worry a bit when he's out away from home.

He gets electrolytes every day this time of year, and I'll give him more if he's been gone or if he worked really hard. But I am curious to try this stuff for WHILE he is away from home.

Anyone use it? Does it REALLY work as well as it is reported?

Yup works great, totally awesome.
    I've even managed to get one of mine to drink during a colic episode.

I just have to be careful not to fill the bucket to the top, because all 3 of mine will finish the entire bucket in 'one' go, which can't be good either, too much water at once.
    So I fill 2/3rd bucket max and it's gone in an instant.

Just have to select a flavor your horse likes, mine like apple & butterscotch, none care for the rootbeer however.

Yep, I've yet to meet a horse who won't slurp it down and lick the dregs. Awesome stuff to have on hand any time you need to get some water in your horse. You can buy a "sample pack" from Valley Vet that has single serving packets of all the flavors, so you can see which flavor(s) yours most enjoys--mine loves 'em all!

It is great stuff. I stock up on it every year and use it in the winter when I want to personally witness a certain amount of gal of water intake, and I use it in the summer to get them to drink electrolyte water.

In the winter, my horses will drink an entire 5 gal bucket top to bottom and then nibble the goodies at the bottom. In the summer mixed with electrolytes they'll drink it throughout the day but the buckets are always bone dry and licked clean in the am.

My guys DO like the rootbeer the only one they'll turn up their noses at is apple. Butterscotch is the resounding favorite though.

Whenever a friend complains about water intake I come right over with a handful of this stuff and instantly their horses are drinking. I have sent a lot of business to the Quencher people!

My elderly gelding is a wise guy though, he will sometimes tip a bucket to dump the water and eat the goodies that settle sometimes, I do have to hang his bucket so it can't be flipped.
    “I am sorry negativity, I have no time for you. I have far too many positive things to do.”

Great product! My horse loves the apple flavor but was not fond of peppermint.

Timely thread! I just ordered some in apple, will post back with results!

My horse will drink out of buckets in the stall if we have stabling, have problems with drinking at one day horse trials. Tried different buckets, cleaning the water container, not cleaning the water container. Nada. Won't drink- not even a mouthful.

As an aside- YB, I feel like our horses are brothers crappy skin, hives, exceptionally particular about saddle fit, won't drink water at horse trials... Maybe they should start a club- PIATB?

Nope.. my horse refuses this product. We tried her on it a couple weeks before the long 16 hour haul when I purchased her. Horse quencher sent us samples of every flavor and gave us suggestions to encourage her to drink with the product but she absolutely refused.

Very nice, helpful people. She just didn't like the product I guess. I still have one sample left, I might try it just to see if she changed her mind.

I won't haul without it. P refused to drink anything that came out of the blue-tub of death (aquatainer LOL). But one package of Quencher and SLURP, down it well. Now she's a good drinker away from home.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Both of my horses turned it down. They really seemed completely disinterested, but my trainers horse slurped it down happily. You can get a free sample of it from their website, but it will take forever getting to you!

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    My horse is a good drinker at home and WAS a good drinker traveling until this spring. Now he routinely turns his nose up to the water I offer him
    The fact that your horse USED TO drink, and now does not drink, would indicate to me that something is up with him.

It sounds like you travel with him frequently. Do you give him an ulcer preventative (an omeprazole product) during the travel times?

When my mare had ulcers, she wouldn't TOUCH water when I would trailer her somewhere. She drank at home but not as much as most horses. We tried everything...electrolytes, apple juice in the water, water from home, her WATER TROUGH from home, you name it and we tried it. Nothing.

Once we discovered the ulcers, and treated them, she drinks fine now, at home and away.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    My horse will drink out of buckets in the stall if we have stabling, have problems with drinking at one day horse trials. Tried different buckets, cleaning the water container, not cleaning the water container. Nada. Won't drink- not even a mouthful.
    See my response to YB above. Same suggestion to you.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

My mare loves this stuff... a bit too much. At shows (one day, tied to trailer or on trailer when she's not working), she tends not to drink much, if anything. I put her on it for a multi-day clinic where she was stalled at a barn she'd never been to, with other clinic horses she's never met all around her. She put her nose right in... yum yum! But then I noticed... she wasn't actually drinking the water; she was straining out the goodies with her teeth and dribbling the (sugary sticky) water on the floor. Made a big mess! She also had a bucket of plain water, and she drank from that.

That said, a small bucket with a handful of HQ and some water in it will keep her occupied for quite a while. She can be very, very wiggly but she will stand still if she has her HQ! If I have a helper, I use it in the hated wash stall. She doesn't try to escape from it, but she doesn't like it one bit... but with the HQ she will actually stand still while I bathe her...
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I got an apple-flavored sample from HQ and tried it on my OTTB who has been known to tie up. No dice. The other two horses would do headstands for it, but the one who needs it couldn't care less Need to try other flavors.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    The fact that your horse USED TO drink, and now does not drink, would indicate to me that something is up with him.

It sounds like you travel with him frequently. Do you give him an ulcer preventative (an omeprazole product) during the travel times?

When my mare had ulcers, she wouldn't TOUCH water when I would trailer her somewhere. She drank at home but not as much as most horses. We tried everything...electrolytes, apple juice in the water, water from home, her WATER TROUGH from home, you name it and we tried it. Nothing.

Once we discovered the ulcers, and treated them, she drinks fine now, at home and away.
    Yes. I have given him omeprazole for ages when we go places. He has also had a couple of shorter courses of omeprazole when we've been very busy (like a couple of months ago when we were on the road 3 or 4 times in a week for lessons and shows). I think the change is the fact that we are hauling out of a different trailer and haul water differently (a big trash can vs a water specific tank) and I really think he is bother by either the taste or the smell.

Will try this product and see what we get!

And, Judy, yes...my horse is a giant PITA, but he is worth it! He is the most awesome horse I have ever been lucky enough to not only sit on, but be with. He makes my day, every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    Maybe they should start a club- PIATB?
    Love it!
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Found it in town today! I was so excited to experiment with it, but my timing was off and I got to the barn to give him a taste test right at dinner. He was all over me as I opened the bucket, but as soon as I he realized dinner was coming, too, he totally lost interest. Oh well. The big test will be Sunday when we go to a show.