The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Its time for my heart kitty- need support.. RIP Akasha - you are forever in my heart.

My old girl has kidney failure and I have managed to buy her 6 extra months of time by doing weekly fluids - however its not working anymore..

The last two weeks she is really failing.. I took her to the vet yesterday and her creatine was 6.8 and she was dehydrated even though we had given her fluids the day before.

I know its time and she is almost 18 but it just breaks my heart - she is my heart kitty in every way..

just having a really hard time scheduling the appointment even though I know its time..
    Last edited by EquineLVR; Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

Oh no. Been there done that twice, I truly feel for you. But you have to end her misery now. I waited too long with my first kitty that had this problem and he ended up going into absolutely heart breaking seizures. Please don't wait. If your kitty isn't interested in eating or drinking it is time, probably past time.

Hugs.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

oh....many hugs......it's so tough, i am sorry this is happening...................we all go thruough it, we all go into a pet relationship knowing the outcome, and it never never gets easier.......
    jingles for your heart

I am so sorry.

I know how it feels...I had to make the decision for my 18-year-old kitty a few months ago, as he was suffering from congestive heart failure. That same week, I lost my barn kitty to a coyote.

It is never easy to say goodbye. Many of us understand what you are going through and are here for you!

Kim
    In loving memory of Chutney (1977 - 2008)

My newest book, "Sandsablaze," available now!

Default Many of us.....

Have traveled this path. My time was in May.

Be there for your girl and then fall apart. I'll be thinking of you both and praying for you.

{{{hugs}}}
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

Such an awful, heart-wrenching thing , but you can be sure you are giving her the most loving gift you can by ending her suffering. I waited a moment too long for my CRF Kitty, and he died in my arms in the ER waiting room
    Don't think, just do it, and know in your grief that she is beyond pain. And that she's at the bridge with my dear Ernie and all the other heart kitties. He'll be the scrawny short tailed black kitty-the first to greet her and show her around. Because he was that kind of guy.
    I am so sorry.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Default So sad!

I'm very sorry! I'll be there soon with a 13 yo cat. Sending hugs!!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

I am so sorry. I, too, may be headed that way with my Katia.

You are doing the right thing by letting your kitty go. It is always better to not let them suffer. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this extremely difficult time.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

So sorry

You've given your kitty a great life, and giving her this last great gift will be so hard, but so noble.

Hugs to you.

I feel like it is the next thing we can do to take care of them. We take care of them for so long and then this can be the hardest thing on us for us to do. But it sounds like now this is the best thing you can do for her. It is taking so much away from you yet it is giving what she needs so much.

It happened to my 15yo 4 summers ago. He went into kidney failure. The vet would not put him down. He could not eat, or drink, he became incontinent. He finally took matters into his own paws, and died in the middle of the night, alone. Last fall I went with a friend to have her heartcat put down. He went out with dignity and in peace. Just went on to sleep. It was heartbreaking for all of us but I think for him it was just going to sleep.

I will jingle for you and your heart kitty and also pray for strength for you and peace for her and you.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Posting again on this thread to say yes, it will be very peaceful. Just like going to sleep. As long as you don't wait too long, then it is just awful. Trust me. I would always rather let them go a day too early than a minute too late. Avoid suffering at all costs.

4pm today.. please pray for a easy passing of my girl..
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

Will do. Hugs and prayers. She'll meet both of my Simon kitties over the bridge.

My thoughts are with you this afternoon. Big hugs to you. Godspeed little girl.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Thinking about you in the coming hours....hugs to you.

Your girl is lucky to have you, especially in these last few moments.

((((((HUGS))))))

(cyber hug from stranger)

I've been there too. It is a good kind act you are doing. Agree completely with oliverreed- better a day too early than a day too late.

I'm so sorry....hang in there. (Hugs)

We have a 'cat lovers clique' in my office, and we often talk about our fur children over morning coffee. My colleague had to PTS her 12YO cat last week, also due to renal failure, and she was really struggling with the decision and very emotional.

When she made the decision, he hadn't been eating for a few days or even drinking in the last day and was weak and clearly uncomfortable. She said that in the vet's office, he was lying on the table and as she and the vet tech were discussing what would happen and they were both in tears...her cat suddenly seemed to relax and perk up - as if he knew exactly what was being said and, in my co-worker's words, "seemed more happy and relaxed than I'd seen him in weeks." Apparently he did what he could to express to her that it's what he wanted.

Just remember today that what she wanted most was for you to end her pain.
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."

great big hugs and a few tears for you!

your kitty will be so grateful you loved her enough to give her peace. <3
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Default Thoughts and prayers and ((hugs)) and tears for YOU ~

Thoughts and prayers and (hugs)) and tears for the family she leaves behind ~

RIP ~Sweet Girl ~ knowing you will always be loved and remembered ~

I am so sorry

Please remmber we have all been 'where' you are and understand ~

Bless you for having the love and strength to help her cross the Rainbow Bridge ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

You know what they say. When you're going through hell, keep on going.

Wishing you strength and peace and comfort knowing what a blessing you and your kitty were to one another.

And maybe one day, when you're ready, you'll be a blessing to another good kitty.