The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boots lumpy along zipper

I have darn big calves. I'm not plus sized, but my calves think I am. I'd tried on the fuller fillies a while ago and they certainly fit, but I like a shiny boot. I had given up on anything other than customs when I tried a pair of Devon aire camden zip backs. They fit my calves, with room for breeches! Miracle of miracles! (I know most people wouldn't get excited over a pair of devon aire boots, but you have to understand the lifetime struggle I've been in with boots!)

I plan to use them this year for schooling and a few shows initially until I can save up for the boots of my dreams. Only problem? They're lumpy along the back line of my calf. They were like this in all of the sizes I tried on, so I know it's not because they're stretched. As I said, there is some room in the calf. Is this something that will go away or get better with breaking in? I'm wondering if it's a combination of stiff new leather and a zip back.

Also, any oils and whatnot you'd recommend putting on the boots to help soften them up? I don't feel like going the bathtub route right now. I was thinking about a little tiny bit of blue ribbon oil. Not sure though.

Any insights?
    www.readyforthebigeq.com
    dream it. achieve it. eff the odds.

JustWorld International Ambassador!

I had the same problem with another brand of boots. I had my local leather guy straighten out the zipper so the lumps were not as bad. But they came back.

The leather man told me that the lumps were there because the leather was not cut along the grain, resulting in a boot which does not stretch (or cut or sew) evenly.

Quality boots are cut from leather all in one direction so that the grain (and strength) is consistent. But cheaper boots are made of leather that is cut like a dress pattern -- laid out so each skin is used most efficiently, and there is little waste.

If the boots are the best you can do for the price, then buy them. BUT the bumps will not go away.

It is a case of "if it seems to good to be true, it probably is".

I finally returned the boots I had. The store (Dover) was very accommodating about it.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."