The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Very timely thread. I am working with an OTTB who completely shuts down when you put a bit in his mouth. He's fine working in a side pull but for him to be adoptable, I think it's important that he learn to work in a bit. I'm going to order one of these and see if it helps.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Very timely thread. I am working with an OTTB who completely shuts down when you put a bit in his mouth. He's fine working in a side pull but for him to be adoptable, I think it's important that he learn to work in a bit. I'm going to order one of these and see if it helps.
    That's my mare! The leather has been good for her. She's still not as good as she is in a sidepull, but thats why I ordered the sidepull with the bit for her, hoping that will help her learn to accept it better.

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    That's my mare! The leather has been good for her. She's still not as good as she is in a sidepull, but thats why I ordered the sidepull with the bit for her, hoping that will help her learn to accept it better.
    This horse is puzzling. He's great with a side pull, but I know that he raced in a bit. Maybe that's the problem? I've even tried just hanging the bit in his mouth and riding off the sidepull. No dice.

I also ride him in an LG bridle which is like a sidepull with a bit of curb action. Here's a link to my blog post which shows what it looks like and also provides options to similar types of bitless bridles as the LG is a lot harder to find now in the US than when I bought it:

http://equineink.com/2013/01/07/lg-b...to-the-rescue/
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Lauren let me know when you go to Bedford again (if it's a weekend). I've been wanting to make a trip up there and will eventually need a side pull and would like to start the spawn of Tango in the leather bit. (BTW this is Megan)

Alright, I can't find my nathe and don't want to drop another $80 bucks for a bit I KNOW I have around here SOMEWHERE that little Miss Mare may or may not like anyway.

So a $20 leather bit is looking like a mighty attractive option

Do I need to order this a little longer to accommodate the flexibility? Or same as a standard metal bit? Or maybe shorter to account for stretch?

Advice?

1 members found this post helpful.

Simkie
    I can send you a herm sprenger duo to try. Both of mine thought it was....eh. So, I'm not using it. It's barely used. If you like it make me an offer...if not send it back
    ~Run and Jump!~

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Alright, I can't find my nathe and don't want to drop another $80 bucks for a bit I KNOW I have around here SOMEWHERE that little Miss Mare may or may not like anyway.

So a $20 leather bit is looking like a mighty attractive option

Do I need to order this a little longer to accommodate the flexibility? Or same as a standard metal bit? Or maybe shorter to account for stretch?

Advice?
    You'll want to go 1/4"-1/2" bigger.

Bedford Tack in Shelbyville, TN whipped these up for me today.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...90624870_n.jpg

They're a work in progress and open to suggestions, but they're not very expensive, so I'm willing to work with it!

They are harness leather, sized to order and the edges are beveled to make them round.

I told them I would inform the interwebz that they are making them and so here I am!

Bedford Tack: (931) 437-2219

Or PM me and I can work it out to get you one!

2/26: Bumping this up. I was down at Bedford today and they said they hadn't sold one in awhile.

I would like one in a 5", will they ship to Canada?

I just ordered mine!

If my guy likes it, I guess I'll just bring it to events and ask the TD ahead of time if its OK. Unless anyone can resolve the question of their legality for dressage in eventing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    I would like one in a 5", will they ship to Canada?
    Probably... their shipping is a little $$, but if you'd like to pay for it, I think they will.

If they won't, let me know, I can stick one in the mail for you.

Quote Originally Posted by breakthru View Post
    I just ordered mine!

If my guy likes it, I guess I'll just bring it to events and ask the TD ahead of time if its OK. Unless anyone can resolve the question of their legality for dressage in eventing?
    Myself and my student have shown in them for most of last season and never even had a bit checker question it, so I think they're legal.

Years ago I recall a chain that was covered in leather - flexible but strong.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Probably... their shipping is a little $$, but if you'd like to pay for it, I think they will.

If they won't, let me know, I can stick one in the mail for you.
    I shall give them a buzz! Thanks

I'm very interested also. I'm a bit of a bit-aholic.

Do they have any reinforcement in them...not just the leather?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebels_Princess View Post
    I'm very interested also. I'm a bit of a bit-aholic.

Do they have any reinforcement in them...not just the leather?
    They're just rolled leather on rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    This horse is puzzling. He's great with a side pull, but I know that he raced in a bit. Maybe that's the problem? I've even tried just hanging the bit in his mouth and riding off the sidepull. No dice.

I also ride him in an LG bridle which is like a sidepull with a bit of curb action. Here's a link to my blog post which shows what it looks like and also provides options to similar types of bitless bridles as the LG is a lot harder to find now in the US than when I bought it:

http://equineink.com/2013/01/07/lg-b...to-the-rescue/
    That LG Bridle looks really neat!

I'm also thinking about the leather bit for my sensitive guy... Hmm...
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

How would you clean this bit? I would imagine regular glycerin soap would make it taste weird for the horse! I'm sure there's a pretty obvious solution that I'm not thinking of haha

It is very important to ensure that the leather used for the leather bit is NON TOXIC! This can only be achieved by a traditional, plant-based tanning process. There is only one tannery in Europe that still uses this process, as far as I know.
    The leather that goes into your horse's mouth should not be tanned with toxic chemicals! Very IMPORTANT!
    The only leather bit that is non-toxic, made from plant-based tanned leather that adheres to European baby toy specifications is the Meroth Original Freedom Leather Snaffle.
    If your horse does not like the leather bit you bought, it can have something to do with the toxic taste.
    "If we consider ourselves to have the moral right to use a horse for our own purposes, we ought also to accept the obligation to help him carry them out.”
    Hans von Blixen-Finecke
    Bodywork for Horses

PS: You only rinse off the leather bit, then let it dry. Once a month, you soak it in some sunflower oil. Again, this only makes sense if the bit is natural leather, tanned in a plant-based process and without toxic chemicals. It can then develop a harder shell that protects it from damage inside the horse's mouth.
    "If we consider ourselves to have the moral right to use a horse for our own purposes, we ought also to accept the obligation to help him carry them out.”
    Hans von Blixen-Finecke
    Bodywork for Horses

Just curious if Bedford Tack still sells these? I'd love to buy one!