The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need Saddle Advice (Treeless or what size tree?)

Okay so I need some quick saddle advice.
    I am currently looking to enter the Eventing Show ring in the future. I am a working student with a great dressage breeder, that shows high talented warmblood horses. So I switch on and off horses a lot. I also am looking to maybe pick up a new working student position in the Fall for an event rider down in Aiken, South Carolina.

So overall, I am currently unstable horse wise and do not plan to own a horse in the near future, but I plan to ride for the next four years. I would like to buy a saddle. The lady that I am a working student for utilizes treeless saddles and suggested a treeless saddle because I will be switching on and off horses. After reading about them, I am unsure if this is the route I want to go. Especially since I am looking to learn 3-day. I've jumped in the treeless and been successful, but competition wise, eventing, the treeless saddle doesn't provide much help. I've been in a lesson program where the girls ride hunters and bring their own saddles. It's seems to kind of be a thing to have a saddle down south, even when I have tried horses for lease I've been asked about bringing a saddle.

My predicament is looking for a used saddle. I am unsure of what size to get for the tree and if a tree is a good option considering I will switch on and off horses a lot. With that being said, if I do go with a treed saddle, what size would I get. I know saddles are sell worthy, so it's not a lost cause if I have too small or too big of a saddle, but I know that selling and buying is a hassle. So I was just wondering if anyone has advice. I am trying to stay below $1,000 and get a used nice saddle that's english jumping that is good for multidisciplinary English jumping.

thanks for the read!
    bridget
    Last edited by Bridgespo; Mar. 20, 2015 at 11:41 AM.

I wouldn't do it at all. People struggle for long periods of time to find a saddle that will fit their horse. One saddle for one horse. Commonly referred to as saddle fitting hell. Do you really think you will be able to buy a random saddle and have it fit the next random horse you see? Let alone multiple random horses? In all likelihood your money would be wasted. You'd have a lovely saddle that you would be unable to use on much of anything.

Oh, and if the team you are referring to is the IEA, you are not allowed to use your own saddle.

1 members found this post helpful.

If you do not yet have experience jumping and will be riding different horses and trying to learn to jump, I would not recommend purchasing a treeless saddle. The ones I have experience with do not provide the security and stability you will need while learning. I've seen photos of people jumping in treeless saddles, but they are few and far between, and there's a reason for that.

As far as treed saddles, the choices are overwhelming. Search for old threads and start reading and learning. Since you would be buying for you more than for any particular horse, purchase something with a medium tree that fits you well and has decent value for resale if at some point you need a horse-specific saddle.

Also, if you are going to compete in IHSA, you ride in the saddle that comes with the horse and not in your own. Not sure if the same is true in NCEA, but I suspect it is.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've already jumped and I've had years of experience jumping and I've jumped in the treeless, it's not terrible. I was just wondering the basics of looking into a saddle, thank you! I guess I'll hold off until I make a horse purchase.

I've just seen a lot of girls riding with their own saddles at a hunters barn I was at. I also will mention that when I leased a few years ago, the owner provided tack which was awesome. I got very accustom to the saddle& I really liked sitting my butt in the same saddle every ride. So I was just dipping my toes into the water to see what others thought about buying a saddle at this stage. It was fantastic riding in the same saddle every day. It was just great.

My opinion would be to stick with a traditional saddle. We have found treeless saddles to be more suitable to low withered horses but horses that have angles and/or withers are often less comfortable long term in one based on anecdotal evidence we hear from customers when they come to us looking to change saddles.
    Jay McGarry
    saddle fitter
    www.trumbullmtn.com
    800-442-9672

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgespo View Post
    I've just seen a lot of girls riding with their own saddles at a hunters barn I was at. I also will mention that when I leased a few years ago, the owner provided tack which was awesome. I got very accustom to the saddle& I really liked sitting my butt in the same saddle every ride. So I was just dipping my toes into the water to see what others thought about buying a saddle at this stage. It was fantastic riding in the same saddle every day. It was just great.
    Buy yourself a saddle that you love to ride and sit in. Your balance is going to have more influence on if the horse is sore from the saddle. When we had a huge barn full of horses I had 3 saddles and 2 of them fit 90% or the the horse the wide tree fit the other 10%. Most of the horses you will be riding will not have a custom fit saddle so why not make sure you are as balanced and comfortable as possible?

If you are planning on becoming a working student at an event barn I would wait. Why spend money on something you don't even know if you are going to use? Some pros are sponsored by a saddle brand and everything in their barn goes in that brand. Some will have saddles they want you to use. Some might want you to bring yours.
    Eventing does tend to subscribe to the saddle fit idea (that is, saddle fit is a thing, and a useful thing, and there is no such thing as a saddle that fits all horses), but pro barns have lots of horses coming through and often don't have that luxury.
    I have bought big shouldered wide horses from more than one pro barn and every time they were going in a medium tree saddle because that's what the pro had - every time they admitted they knew it wasn't the right saddle for the horse. Poor guys!
    Save your bucks till you know what your situation will be.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Our barn just had the privilege of hosting a wet lab for the national meeting of equine acupuncturists. FWIW there was a long discussion about saddle fitting and the clinician stated quite firmly that treeless saddles weren't the way to go. I believe the reasoning was that they didn't distribute the weight over as wide an area of the horse's back as a saddle with a tree.

I've been on the hunt for a used Roosli jumping saddle. They're very hard to find even new. I have had a Roosli dressage saddle for maybe 15 years now that I bought used. Best saddle I ever bought. It's heavier then some, but it has fit every horse I've ever put it on from OTTBs to WBs. My saddle fitter jokes that if everyone had Rooslis he'd be out of work.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.