The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Which magazine is better...

Trail Rider or Trail Blazer? Opinions?

I recently cancelled the subscription to The Trail Rider. It used to actually have informative, helpful articles about actually going out trail riding. Now it's a lot of "fluff" and ads for Parelli, Clinton Anderson, and ACTHA.

I haven't started subscribing to Trail Blazer yet, but have heard some good things about it. I might pick up a copy some time.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Trail Blazer is very good. Highly recommend it.

Trail Blazer has better paper and printing. If you happen to save your mags.

I personally like the editorial content more of Trail Blazer. They are less focused on camp grounds. and seem to focus more on getting the most out of your riding experience. If you need reviews of camp grounds and suggestion of where to go ride, (especially for areas in the eastern half of the US) then Trail Rider is probably a better choice for you.

I like Trail Blazer better. As mentioned above, the constant ads and articles in Trail Rider by Clinton, Parelli, ACTHA get kind of repetitive.

Thanks for all the opinions! I'll give Trail Blazer a shot.

I let my subscription to Trail Rider lapse about a year ago. I still have a stack of magazines to read ( no time to do it) so I haven't noticed the change. I think I will look into Trail Blazer if I want to get another magazine, Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    I let my subscription to Trail Rider lapse about a year ago. I still have a stack of magazines to read ( no time to do it) so I haven't noticed the change. I think I will look into Trail Blazer if I want to get another magazine, Thanks!!
    Make sure they aren't still sending you issues or counting you as a "non paying" subscriber. . .my boyfriend got a notice earlier this year that they were about to send his "account" to collections, even though he was no longer a subscriber. He had to track them down and sit through long hold times with bad music before getting it straightened out.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Had some friends who went to a dude ranch after reading a glowing review in Trail Rider (they hadn't realized it was written by the ranch owner!) It was during an EIA outbreak so they didn't want to take their own horses from KY out West but tried the dude ranch experience instead.

They weren't impressed!

Where can you get honest dude ranch/riding vacation reviews?

Trail Blazer is an excellent magazine - excellent, informative and eclectic articles, awesome design layout!

1 members found this post helpful.

Endurance News! (Oh, oops, sorry, that wasn't one of the choices! But I like it more than the other too. AERC members get it as part of their membership dues.)

Trail Blazer is good! Not a huge fan of Trail Rider.