The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ben Ray Farm Giveaway mare update--Starduster

Starduster has been hanging around the farm with her boyfriend Timely. For 6 months. Not that she needed any letdown time, as she was off the track for 6 years, but after my starting a new business and just trying to deal with the Virginia heat, she kind of just got a good long introduction to her new home.

I also don't bounce well. I break. So, I was looking for someone to get on her for the first few rides, and had a harder time than I thought, when a stable boy (OK, VMI Sr who hunts and can ride!) fell into my barn.

Here's a link to her 2nd ride. My camera battery died during the 1st ride, but she was just as calm and easy.

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/IMAG1696.jpg

Very short trot video:

http://s970.photobucket.com/albums/a...=VIDEO0103.mp4

She moves off your leg, turns, backs and will canter on the correct lead. Not bad for a 10 year old broodmare.

She has excellent barn manners, and is very sweet. We're looking forward to a great summer discovering what she can do.

I'm really hoping she likes hounds.

She looks wonderful!!!!

Come join us at the November 2-4 Thoroughbred Celebration Show held at the Horse Center!!!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Oh my, my husband is Virginia, VMI, and he doesn't ride.

Very nice mare.

He is doing a very nice job with her. Kudos.

beautiful! looks like a lovely horse. Have fun with her.

She is beyond cute. I am sure you will be having a great time with her!

I love the bays! Yes I do. She looks like a real sweetie, too.
    Sheilah`

Yay!
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Glad to see she is doing well and being useful. I always liked her pics. Actually, I liked all their horses.

Here is my Ben Ray horse. He was recovering from an injury most of the past year, and is just now being restarted. This vid is just about 4 weeks--and not me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXeIB...e_gdata_player

What ever happened to Sweet Lil Lolly?

Starduster looks wonderful! Gotta love those TBs! Race? Broodie? Ride? sure! and who is your horse Shrpshooter? Looks like Tiffany Catledge's farm? He is lovely as well....

All of the horses ended up in great places. Just heard recently that Benray Slow just did his first event under the name Grayson. Benray's Daughter was headed to her first show, she went from wild woman to super star. I dont remember who got Lolly, Beth would know. The only one who eventually ended up in trouble was Go Rose- the gal who took her, in spite of good references and a signed contract with the estate, put her up on CL and she ended up on a feed lot- fortunately she found a GREAT home in CT. Beth was looking into pursuing legal action against the original adopter, not sure where that went......
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

shrpshooter--- hubba hubba! What a lovely horse! Glad he's recovered.

I picked up Sweet Lil Lolly, and boarded her for a few weeks before she went to NC, here's a page I found listing her. It used to have her pic, but just has a description.

http://www.cedarbrookfarmsnc.com/styled-6/photos-8/

We are headed out of the arena this evening to see how Starduster handles a bit of the trails.

Bev-I have Yoh Zachary aka "Cosmo." I think he was one of the first horses to go. And yes, he is in training with Tiffany. I am very happy with how it is progressing.

TI-- would love to hear more updates. I do talk to Beth occasionally and she will be very happy to know about Stardusters progress.

She went on a trail ride yesterday. On her 4th ride. We had to bushwhack through some very high weeds, cross a marshy area, and go over a little stream, then go up a hill through a bunch of little trees and vines to get to the trail, and she was fine with all of it. Loose rein. Once on the trails, we found the last storm had knocked down some trees across the path, and she did jump over them instead of walking over like Mr. Lazy (Timely), but she'll learn. She lead and followed, and the only time she even looked excited was after we cantered a bit. So far, her only "bad" habit is poking her nose out and flipping her head. She's in a simple D-ring snaffle now, I may change it to a french link. Her teeth were floated last month, so that's already been checked. Anyway, I couldn't ask for a nicer horse... for $1. :-)

shrpshooter, I'll post updates if you post updates! I'd love to read more about Cosmo.