The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Neuro & Colic - experience?

For those of you who have had neuro horses, what has been your experience with colic? I've talked to more than a few people now whose neuro horses coliced (which resulted in euthanasia) after a neurologic episode. The colics weren't immediately following, but were in horses with no history of colic. One person I know of had a horse who was prone to colic and after lengthy diagnostic work (unrelated to the colic), the horse was dx as neurologic.

Is there some relationship here?
    Last edited by Pocket Pony; Jul. 25, 2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: because apparently I can't spell!

Interesting idea. I don't think it's too far of a stretch to think that if nerves are compromised and causing a visible neuro deficit that the nerves enervating the gut might also be compromised in some way, leading to colic.

Neuro horses may also move around less, and we all know how important movement is to keeping the gut going.

My neuro horse has not had any issues with colic (knock on wood!) but only has a very mild, very specific deficit.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Interesting idea. I don't think it's too far of a stretch to think that if nerves are compromised and causing a visible neuro deficit that the nerves enervating the gut might also be compromised in some way, leading to colic.

Neuro horses may also move around less, and we all know how important movement is to keeping the gut going.

My neuro horse has not had any issues with colic (knock on wood!) but only has a very mild, very specific deficit.
    I agree that it might make sense. I myself suffer from migraine with aura, which is a neurological condition. It does impact my stomach, and in some people, can cause vomiting.

I don't disagree with the theories posted. It could also be as simple as the stress caused by being neuro causes a horse to drink less/disrupts the routine in a way that might have caused colic even sans neuro. I hope Tomato isn't colicy
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Thanks, everyone - looking forward to more input.

V, he is off his feed a bit and seems a bit depressed today. He did eat his bucket, but has not yet cleaned up his hay, which he usually does by now (and didn't clean up his tuck-in hay last night). So far no other signs, but we're keeping a close eye on him.

One of my ponies had neuro EHV-1, nearly died but recovered, completely to the eye. After that she colicked several times, though she never had before the EHV-1. She eventually died on the colic surgery table after rupturing her stomach.

The vets at VA Tech told us it was likely she had decreased gut motility from the EHV-1, resulting in her colic episodes. She lived for 4 years after her illness.

I hope your horse avoids colic. There is not much you can do...maybe electrolytes/try to make sure water intake is sufficient, but colic is not always traceable to an outside reason. Keep a close eye and treat early.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    For those of you who have had neuro horses, what has been your experience with colic? I've talked to more than a few people now whose neuro horses coliced (which resulted in euthanasia) after a neurologic episode. The colics weren't immediately following, but were in horses with no history of colic. One person I know of had a horse who was prone to colic and after lengthy diagnostic work (unrelated to the colic), the horse was dx as neurologic.

Is there some relationship here?
    Oh no, did Tomato colic too?

No, not colicing, but a bit off his feed. Vitals are normal. Gut sounds present. Drinking and pooping ok. He's just a bit down today and didn't clean up last night's hay or this morning's hay. Just keeping an eye on him but it made me wonder...

Ulcers, maybe? He's sure been through a lot lately

Poor buddy.

More jingles, thoughts and prayers for Tomato.