The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Except that Downton Abbey is an ITV production !

http://www.itv.com/downtonabbey/
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Having compared all my gizmos for watching the big event I have discovered;
    #1. The best video (no buffering crap but no commentary) is the Android tablet app with an HDMI cable to the big TV.
    #2. The most pleasant (except for the occasional buffering crap) is the BBC live stream, 'cos it has Ian Stark.
    #3. NBC = Backup failing #1 & #2

Has anybody noticed that there is some screaming brat at work throughout the dressage. Now - who would do that ?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Having compared all my gizmos for watching the big event I have discovered;
    #1. The best video (no buffering crap but no commentary) is the Android tablet app with an HDMI cable to the big TV.
    #2. The most pleasant (except for the occasional buffering crap) is the BBC live stream, 'cos it has Ian Stark.
    #3. NBC = Backup failing #1 & #2

Has anybody noticed that there is some screaming brat at work throughout the dressage. Now - who would do that ?
    What is the Android Tablet app???

You still need the sign in credentials for your cable/satellite provider website;
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Gl2ZWV4dHJhIl0.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I can't watch streaming video using our internet connection. Unfortunately, we live far enough out in the sticks that our only internet option is hotspot wireless. When watching streaming video or listening to streaming music, it sucks up all our data usage!
    I am reduced to watching it on TV. Luckily, we have DVR so if I know when it's on and what network, I can record it and watch it later.
    Can anyone tell me when the equestrian events are being broadcast?

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    WHERE on the BBC link is the streaming video for Eventing dressage day 2? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/...trian/20120729

So if I want to watch the equestrian events on TV, like tomorrow's eventing, does that mean I need NBC Sportsplus? This is crazy, I know I'm somewhat intelligent but it has taken forever for me to get the equestrian schedule. I've had the gymnastic schedule for weeks. It would really stink if I need NBC Sports to watch the equestrian stuff. So far I've had access to water polo, beach volleyball, and volleyball on MSNBC, Bravo, and CNBC. I mean seriously how ridiculous. Heck I speak Spanish so I could watch the equestrian coverage on Telemundo. But they are also not covering equestrian events. :/

Quote Originally Posted by teal tea View Post
    So if I want to watch the equestrian events on TV, like tomorrow's eventing, does that mean I need NBC Sportsplus? This is crazy, I know I'm somewhat intelligent but it has taken forever for me to get the equestrian schedule. I've had the gymnastic schedule for weeks. It would really stink if I need NBC Sports to watch the equestrian stuff. So far I've had access to water polo, beach volleyball, and volleyball on MSNBC, Bravo, and CNBC. I mean seriously how ridiculous. Heck I speak Spanish so I could watch the equestrian coverage on Telemundo. But they are also not covering equestrian events. :/

I agree. I feel like an idiot trying to figure this out. I can't even figure out how to get live streaming on my iPad. It keeps telling me I have download the app, which I can't because then it says I have to have IOS5 or something like that. I give up.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Could someone please just post a link either to instructions on how to get around the BBC blocks, or on to the sites themselves? I did as instructed in this thread and found absolutely nothing about how to used the Ex-pat shieid (had already tried it anyway and it would not work for my computer).

I have already missed 3 days of 3-day, Zara Phillips, and so much of the rest of the Olympics I have wanted to see, while being give wonderful opportunities to see boxing, ping-pong, vollleyball, beach volleyball, swimming, swimming, swimming, and swimming.

If someone knows how to bypass the BBC, please post it here. This is COTH, not a cat-and-mouse game.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by pwynnnorman View Post
    Yes, you can watch the BBC live coverage! Go to CNET.com (a very safe site to download programs) and get "Expat Shield." It hides your identity so the "no access" gatekeeping system doesn't recognize that you're from a banned location!

(Trust me, I can't believe it actually works, but it does! As I type this, I just finished watching Boyd Martin's dressage ride on replay.)
    Where? Where on the CNET.com site is the thing to "get" Expat Shield? What do you mean by "get"? Do you mean download it? Where is it? I went to CNET.com and saw NOTHING about ExPat Shield.

I am so sick and tired of this, people. If you who have it want to help the rest of us, then help us. Otherwise, log off COTH and go watch the *&^%@@# Olympics. But do NOT tell us to go to some web site and "get" something. Show us WHERE to get it! Tell us HOW.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by pwynnnorman View Post
    Yes, you can watch the BBC live coverage! Go to CNET.com (a very safe site to download programs) and get "Expat Shield." It hides your identity so the "no access" gatekeeping system doesn't recognize that you're from a banned location!

(Trust me, I can't believe it actually works, but it does! As I type this, I just finished watching Boyd Martin's dressage ride on replay.)
    I *think* Expat Shield sent out spoof emails to some of my Facebook friends. Someone else suspects the same thing (as noted in the reviews on CNET. VERY surprising as CNET is known for safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    Where? Where on the CNET.com site is the thing to "get" Expat Shield? What do you mean by "get"? Do you mean download it? Where is it? I went to CNET.com and saw NOTHING about ExPat Shield.

I am so sick and tired of this, people. If you who have it want to help the rest of us, then help us. Otherwise, log off COTH and go watch the *&^%@@# Olympics. But do NOT tell us to go to some web site and "get" something. Show us WHERE to get it! Tell us HOW.
    All you have to do is go to the search box on CNET and type "ExPat Shield". You can even do it from Google. Doing searches are pretty basic internet skilz.

Default Expat Shield

Yes, the expat shield works great for obtaining access to the BBC; however, it comes with extremely annoying pop-ups. Each time I change sites on the internet I get a new pop-up I need to delete. Does anyone know how to get rid of this? Once I de-install expat shield will the pop-ups leave too?

download expat shield, download an ad blocker if you don't already have one installed. Open a NEW browser window, then go to the bbc site and enjoy.
    If you do not open a new browser, bbc will see your NA IP address and will block you.

Same thing when you want to come back to your regular IP address, disconnect expat (by clicking on the little icon in your icon tray - I dragged it to the bottom bar) and click disconnect. You are back in business!

Default So CNET is just a route to Expat Shield?

CNET itself isn't showing any Olympics -we have to go to BBC? This may seem obvious to those who have figured it out!

NBC would have had some cash from me if I didn't have to do a dance through Directv - which I'm sure would have locked me into some ongoing service I don't want! I have a feeling I'll just be watching re-runs.

I can't even seem to sign up with cnet - says it's sent an email to my yahoo email address but to confirm it but hasn't arrived in 1/2 hr...about to give up...
    I even tried another email address...no go...

Quote Originally Posted by spottedfiona View Post
    I can't even seem to sign up with cnet - says it's sent an email to my yahoo email address but to confirm it but hasn't arrived in 1/2 hr...about to give up...
    I even tried another email address...no go...
    I was able to download expat shield without ever signing up with cnet.

Try just going directly to the expat shield page - there should be a big green download button in the upper left side.
    http://download.cnet.com/Expat-Shiel...-75211377.html

Smoothwall is an open source Interent security/firewall program. It has blocked you. It is on your computer. Either remove or adjust it and then follow the instructions posted for a MAC. Expat Shield does not do MAC.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Default A Canadian Needs to get live streaming

Can any Canucks help me get live streaming of today's equestrian coverage from BBC? I'm in Kenora, ON. Thanks.

hsselite.com works on Macs ($30/year) and it works great. If you have any problems setting it up, they have great support. I searched for it as a result of the thread and have been really happy with it!