The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mike Plumb in COTH

Great article in the COTH Olympic Preview issue on living legend Mike Plumb. It's a little bittersweet. But it does reveal a man of incredible talent and courage, both in his professional and personal life. The "what ifs" of his life might make for interesting conjecture, but his personal courage in publicly discussing his alcoholism and his continued enthusiasm and support of our sport are exemplary.

Agreed.

His battle with the demon alcoholism proves again his strength. What touched me is his desire to mend fences where possible. I know and love individuals on a similar path.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Any chance someone can post a copy?

Quote Originally Posted by SueCoo2 View Post
    Any chance someone can post a copy?
    It will likely be published on the Chronicle's website in time, but I don't think it's right to publish a copy for free on here without the magazine's permission.

Anyway, I was just coming to see if someone had started a thread about it. I thought it was a heartbreaking article (in the best way). His humility and courage really struck me. I had no idea of his struggles.

It is a bit bittersweet, but I am so grateful to Mr. Plumb for his candor. It really never is too late.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Can't wait to pick up the mag! I agree - if you want the article you should purchase it - well worth it.

I hope I get a chance to read it. I met him several years ago- I am glad he is strong enough and brave enough to face the demons. Good For him.
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

Smile Go take a lesson

I was looking for the article to read and came across this thread... Mike is a genius, cantankerous as hell and brutally honest... but a genius and loves the sport more deeply than anyone you'll ever meet. If you enjoyed the article, take a week and go to Southern Pines and take a week of lessons. It's absurdly affordable and it will change your life. There is no one in this sport that compares. But don't think you can take one lesson. You need to take a minimum of 5 and that will only get you started. Can't wait to read the article... he mentioned it the last time I took my week of lessons.

Springstone, that's awesome! From reading the article, I would love to ride with him, even though I'm a chicken Hunter rider—think he'd take me?

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    From reading the article, I would love to ride with him, even though I'm a chicken Hunter rider—think he'd take me?
    Mike won the Maclay in the late 1950s.

I second Springstone's advice, but then I should also say that I'll be at JMP Farm in early August to spend a few days riding my horses with him and Glenbaer and one of my LA friends and also hopefully barnworkbeatshousework. (This was all planned well before the COTH article.) We are all looking forward to it, with the exception perhaps of my three horses, who always have that 'You again!' look on their faces whenever I show up dressed to ride.

The COTH article is truly moving and also very timely. I applaud everyone involved with this story for making it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    Can't wait to pick up the mag! I agree - if you want the article you should purchase it - well worth it.
    I don't disagree at all, but until the Chronicle can remedy the problem of my receiving issues of a weekly periodical a month or more after their publication (and often receiving multiple weeks' issues on the same day), I'll unfortunately be missing out on the articles until they show up on the website. I wish we had a legitimate tack shop closer to home; I'd pick one up off the rack.

Imlacross - check out the digital subscription service - magazine delivered to your email. No problems, no waiting!

That totally sounds like fun (the 5-day.)
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

riderboy is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Mike won the Maclay in the late 1950s.

I second Springstone's advice, but then I should also say that I'll be at JMP Farm in early August to spend a few days riding my horses with him and Glenbaer and one of my LA friends and also hopefully barnworkbeatshousework. (This was all planned well before the COTH article.) We are all looking forward to it, with the exception perhaps of my three horses, who always have that 'You again!' look on their faces whenever I show up dressed to ride.

The COTH article is truly moving and also very timely. I applaud everyone involved with this story for making it
    happen.
    Not that I'm jealous of that AT ALL as we try to train here with 100+ degree temps and ground that hasn't seen rain in 2 months. No, no, no. . Seriously, sounds incredibly blog-worthy.

Mike used to be based in the Hamilton (MA) area back when the team was here. I remember the seeing him at my first Groton House and just shyly staring. The occasional comment from him stunned me: he actually knew my name! The area is much poorer without his presence.

I, too, was very moved by the article and his forthcoming discussion of his trials and his approach to horses. How inspiring that he's back at riding, and that he has (as he puts it) evolved in his approach, as well as his courage in tackling the demon that is alcohol.

Good on ye', Mike!
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by fivecats View Post
    Imlacross - check out the digital subscription service - magazine delivered to your email. No problems, no waiting!
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Springstone View Post
    ... Mike is a genius, cantankerous as hell and brutally honest... but a genius and loves the sport more deeply than anyone you'll ever meet...It's absurdly affordable and it will change your life. )
    Very well put. And if he doesn't make you LOL at least once, even if it is under your breath because you don't want MJP to hear you taking something he said lightly, then I think something is amiss. How he rides your horse from the ground is amazing...How he tunes into what makes them tick - so quickly - is pretty cool. I just wish he would come back to New England one of these days Can someone who trains with him tell him to come up here?!

Tha - from my limited experience with him - by all means, yes, go ride with the man! He will get your horse jumping wonderfully...he is fine with standing martingales, half-seat...if you're horse jumps better with it's nose poked out & you off it's back, than that's how he'll have you work...if it doesn't, than he surely wont allow you to ride like that. "Whatever is worth doing at all, is worth doing well," if you're familiar with this quote, I think it sums up how to approach your time spent with him, IMO. When I wanted to start eventing my horse, transitioning from H/J land, he is who I sought out...I wanted his opinion on my horse (which I didn't have to ask for )...people thought I was a hanging myself out to dry, which was probably the case, but why not? When someone has that much concern & passion for the sport, and the horses, it's easy to understand where their demand for perfection comes from.

I have always had great admiration for him as a horseman, and have even more respect for him after reading this article. It takes a great deal of courage to discuss his problems so candidly, but that is a quality eventers seem to have in abundance.

I started Eventing in 1977 at 31 years old. Mike was my hero, and remains one to this day. I learned so, so many things from him that I use every day and will remain indebted to him for that rest of my life.
    When he was inducted into the USEA Hall of Fame, he felt he was unworthy -NO ONE is more worthy than Mike!

Default Darling Man!

A few weeks ago I was watching a friend ride my leased mare in the warmup area at the Pinhurst H/J show. I struck up a conversation (about porta potties, no less ) with a darling older gentleman schooling a couple of very nice horse and rider teams.

As I was watching him work with his students, I was thinking to myself how much I liked his style, and could tell that he was an eventer. Perhaps this is because he kept telling one student to "quit doing dressage! we're at a horse show! we don't do dressage at horse shows...we jump!" There were a million other things he said in that 10 minutes that made me chuckle, and I so admired how he worked with his students and their horses.

I told the girl who was riding my horse later that night that I would love to take lessons with that man. The next day while watching the only, like, three horses go in the jumper ring, I started talking to another jumper trainer who asked if I had seen the older guy the day before. I told him I had, and he said, "Yeah, well I guess he is some sort of former Olympian."

I finally put two and two together who he was because he had introduced himself as Mike. Jaw on the floor.... no idea I had been chatting with and admiring a living legend!

I just knew I had good taste....