The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Show Fashion?

I haven't shown on the A-AA circuit before, only a few rated shows here and there. I am looking to add to my wardrobe for shows because I will be able to do more A shows next summer. I am wondering what kind of casual clothes are in style at the shows... For example, is Joules still popular? Are polos a must to wear all the time or are crew neck tees acceptable? Any info you have would be great!

-fashion rookie

Casual wear seems to be the breeches you wore with a cute belt and zocks, or shorts and tennis shoes, with a polo or cute shirt.

Spanx (if you are an Ancient Owner).

Just be clean. A nice polo never is out of style.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

EIS shirts are very popular. Generally when I'm done riding I unzip my boots and put on either sperrys, toms, or tennis shoes. I take off my show jacket and unsnap the top few buttons on my show shirt and pull up the sleeves or I go put on a EIS/polo if the shirt is still sweaty. I try to keep my boots, helmet, and jacket near the ring on the off chance that I may have a catch ride or have to jog or something.

I wasn't sure if you meant while you are riding on schooling days or days that you're not riding at all? Polo shirts are always appropriate but I'm not a huge fan of the bling, big logos, color blocks etc (like Joules and Kingsland). I like to keep it simple. I see tons of the EIS shirts too. If you are schooling, any kind of crew neck or even a v neck tee, short or long sleeve, is probably fine if it's plain, fitted, tucked in and paired with a conservative belt. Make sure you have a collared shirt if you are entered in any kind of warm up/schooling class though.
    For cool mornings I like fitted vests, sweaters and zip-up fitted sweatshirt type things. Never a hood! I love the ones from Lululemon, or other athletic brands like Nike, etc. Conservative clothes with a good fit never go out of style!

Great responses so far, thank you! I do have sperrys and Toms but I never thought of wearing them at shows until now! Great idea!

Some suggestions ...

Joules seem to be quite outdated IMO, but still cute nonetheless. I purchased one the other day.

Pikeur Lucinda Breeches (euroseat/knee patch) are the same thing when reading the description

GPA Speed Air helmet

KEP Helmet - gaining a lot of popularity in the jumper ring

V Neck sweaters of any type will always be fashionable and have a nice clean look.

2" belts, usually for the wider belt loops (Trophy Breeches, Pikeur Breeches etc ...)

Dyson half chaps

Pinnell half chaps

Fabbri, Parlanti, Der Dau - all custom boots

Der Dau actually has some really cute breeches with the side panel der dau logo.

Allon Equestrian (based in CA) always has cute apparel, beautiful custom coats and fits for Fabbri boots.

The nice thing about "fashion" at shows these days is you can find just about everything for any price vs the days when you had to have the puke green tailored sportsman breeches, gap helmet and joules polos. Basically any euroseat breech (which can be anywhere from 50$ - $350), belt, polo or sweater is traditional.

For winter, vests are always "in" usually the north face vests, and patagonia jackets etc ...

WOW, just realized you asked for "casual clothes" ... oops.

Quote Originally Posted by svf86 View Post
    Some suggestions ...

Joules seem to be quite outdated IMO, but still cute nonetheless. I purchased one the other day.

Pikeur Lucinda Breeches (euroseat/knee patch) are the same thing when reading the description

GPA Speed Air helmet

KEP Helmet - gaining a lot of popularity in the jumper ring

V Neck sweaters of any type will always be fashionable and have a nice clean look.

2" belts, usually for the wider belt loops (Trophy Breeches, Pikeur Breeches etc ...)

Dyson half chaps

Pinnell half chaps

Fabbri, Parlanti, Der Dau - all custom boots

Der Dau actually has some really cute breeches with the side panel der dau logo.

Allon Equestrian (based in CA) always has cute apparel, beautiful custom coats and fits for Fabbri boots.

The nice thing about "fashion" at shows these days is you can find just about everything for any price vs the days when you had to have the puke green tailored sportsman breeches, gap helmet and joules polos. Basically any euroseat breech (which can be anywhere from 50$ - $350), belt, polo or sweater is traditional.

For winter, vests are always "in" usually the north face vests, and patagonia jackets etc ...

WOW, just realized you asked for "casual clothes" ... oops.
    Wow thanks! I have always seen riders wear these types of clothes but I never knew the brands. Thank you so much!

Speed airs are getting very popular, but if you can't afford to purge on one a Charles Owen GR8 or AYR8 are still extremely "in". Parlanti, Der Dau, and Tucci seem to be the boot of choice for customs and Sergio Grasso, Parlanti off-the-rack (Miami I think?) and Ariat Monaco for ready made. Snap collars are the only collars. Toms are really comfortable after being in boots all days.