The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shapley's MTG for humans?

My 15 yo dd has becomes obsessed with growing her hair. Last night she was bugging me to get her some Mane n Tail shampoo and conditioner which I said I would after she used up all the shampoo and conditioner she currently has. She kept on and on with the begging so I jokingly suggested she use the MTG that I had gotten for the mini colt who was rubbing his mane and tail out. So now, she's all set to use the MTG. Apparently she googled it and other people have used it. Has anyone on the board used MTG on themselves?

Personally the smell would put me off but if DD wants her head to smell like rancid bacon, that's her problem. I just don't want anything like a burned scalp, bald head, etc.

They actually MAKE a people version. It's this stuff:

http://suluhair.com/

I'd hope it stinks less :P

Since I've seen it burn and irritate some of the more sensitive horses I've had, I wouldn't use it on myself, no way no how. Of course, I break out in a rash even looking at a lot of stuff.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

There is also oil in it, so her hair would look greasy and unclean.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

There are better things your DD can use to grow her hair that are actually made to be used on humans. Personally, I wouldn't do it for that reason alone. Not to mention, it's not designed nor tested for use on people.

I don't think I'd go for it just based on how it is comprised- oil with solids in it. I wouldn't put that in human hair any day. Hot dog scent aside.
    "As one of those weirdos that always enjoyed the grooming tasks that most others didn't, Kirsten decided it was time to make the most of it and create Shear Convenience Grooming"

I've used. It really stinks and is very hard to wash out.

If your daughter is obsessed with growing her hair, suggest she use Eqyss Megatek Rebuilder as a protien conditioner.

I use it several times a week in combination with a Jojoba/essential oil mixture that I make and it's done wonders to keep my hair soft and prevent breakage.

Jojoba mixture essential oils:

Thyme
    Rosemary
    Lavender
    Cedarwood

Ratio 4 oz Jojoba oil to 25 drops of each essential oil. I bottle this and use two dropper fulls of oil mix with a palmfull of Megatek. Makes a phenominal deep conditioning treatment.

Ewwww, ewwww, ewwww....MTG on human hair would be NASTY, and I'm not just talking about the smell. I'm sure she'd be an oily mess....

Sometimes less is better. Don't weigh the hair down with so much "stuff" and she may see a difference...

You couldn't pay me enough money to put that shit in my hair! I won't even let it get on my hands - even a drop on my skin leaves that nasty odor.

However I love the Mane-N-Tail conditioner. I have been using it every day since high school as a leave in. It's more of a thickener than for growing hair, but my hair does grow abnormally fast (according to my hairdresser).

You better drape a tarp over the back of the sofa.

I would say making sure she has a good diet and maybe a good daily vitamin might do more than that stinky stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I would say making sure she has a good diet and maybe a good daily vitamin might do more than that stinky stuff.
    I quite agree. I have gotten her special vitamins for nails and hair and a multi vitamins specially formulated for teen girls. She refuses to take them because they smell bad and make her nauseous. I told her to swallow them quick and take them with food. But I'm just a mom, what do I know.

According to her, you don't leave the MTG in your hair very long. Just rub it in, leave it a minute and wash. I still think your hair would stink, though. I will get her the Mane n Tail and maybe the stuff Daatje suggested once she uses up her current shampoo. The house rule is you have to use up what you already have before you get something different.

I won't have that stuff in my barn let alone my house. Can't stand it.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    You better drape a tarp over the back of the sofa.
    OMG I didn't even think of that.. EWWWWWWWW

That stuff is rancid.. Yuck!! I hated putting it in Nootka's tail
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Does she really want to smell like bacon fat?
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Does she really want to smell like bacon fat?
    Actually, it is time for school to start. She has too much time on her hands and is spending too much time on the internet looking up "beauty secrets". The latest is a mixture of cinnamon and honey that is supposed to lighten your hair. Mostly it makes a sticky mess in her bathroom. Once school is in session she will have too much to do with school work, her friends and her extra curricular activities to worry about putting MTG in her hair.

Not to mention she is at that age when she wants stuff NOW! She expects to use a product and have hair growth, clear skin, etc, the next day. If it doesn't happen, she wants to move on to something else. I keep telling her that stuff takes time but again, I'm just a mom.

There are plenty of people with greasy hair who smell like bacon in the south

But in all seriousness, I would find something made for people in this case.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    Once school is in session she will have too much to do with school work, her friends and her extra curricular activities to worry about putting MTG in her hair.
    If she uses that stuff she won't have to worry about friends. They will RUN AWAY

OMG I would hate to sit around her in school....LMAO. People will be like "what is that smell?"
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

It ruined my horses tail - burned it right off. Warn your daughter if she insist on trying it, that a shiny bald head might be the result!

I have long hair, down past my waist. It never got half that long until I started keeping it braided. I rarely let it out of a braid (I have since decided I hate getting trapped in loose hair) but it sure is spectacular when I do let it go.

I just use Dove shampoo/conditioner, or Neutrogena deep conditioner if it feels a bit dry. Otherwise, leave it alone, don't let it get tangled or dirty, and keep it put up.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom