The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Univ. of Edinburgh Offers Online Equine Nutrition Course

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle....D=20352&src=VW

The University of Edinburgh is offering a free online equine nutrition course through courser.org. The five-week long course will be instructed by Jo-Anne Murray, PhD, PgDip, PgCert, BSc(Hons), BHSII, RNutr, FHEA, senior lecturer in Animal Nutrition and Husbandry at the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies at the university.

According to the course description, "The anatomy and physiology of the equine alimentary canal will be studied to provide students with a detailed understanding of the equine digestive system. Nutrient sources for horses will be discussed, with emphasis placed on the health and welfare issues surrounding the inclusion of various types of feedstuffs in equine diets.

"Students will also discuss recommendations on rations for horses and ponies performing various activities and should feel equipped to make recommendations on rations for horses and ponies, in health and disease," the description reads.

The current course syllabus is as follows:

•Week 1: Anatomy and physiology of the equine gastrointestinal tract;
    •Week 2: Nutrient digestion in the equine gastrointestinal tract;
    •Week 3: Equine nutrient sources and feeding management;
    •Week 4: Equine dietary management; and
    •Week 5: Equine clinical nutrition.
    The course description indicates that course will consist of weekly one-hour lectures broken down into videos of 10 and 15 minutes in length. Supporting notes and additional readings provided will be provided, and there will be quiz questions throughout the course along with additional optional assignments.

For more information on the course and to sign up, visit www.coursera.org/course/equinenutrition.
    I checked out the link, and the courses are free. I am thinking of taking this course when they offer it. Anyone else interested, or has anyone else taken this course?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

1 members found this post helpful.

Interesting!
    Quarry Rat

I signed up. I'll let you know if my computer explodes.

Thanks.

I signed up, and the ensuing email said that it will next be offered in early 2013. Hope it's worth the wait.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Cool--thanks for the tip! I often struggle with the UK-based feeds and "translating" those into what's widely available in the US, but a refresher on basic physiology and what's new in nutrition from an educated source can never be a bad thing!
    Click here before you buy.

Man, there are some VERY cool courses available! I'm sort of digging all the philosophy and literature stuff . . .

Thanks for the heads up! I am enrolled.

I'm also signed up for Astrobiology and looking hard at the course on Understanding Irrational Behavior. Might help me navigate some of these COTH threads.

Just signed up!
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Wild Maple Designs - Equestrian inspired apparel.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I'm also signed up for Astrobiology and looking hard at the course on Understanding Irrational Behavior. Might help me navigate some of these COTH threads.
    BAHAHAHA.......HAHAHAHA....HAHAHA....that is hilarious! Sorry, maybe its the 2 glasses of wine laughing....but that really made me laugh out loud!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Cool! I'm signing up!
    Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it ~ Goethe

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Thanks for the heads-up! I've signed up too.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

For anyone who is interested, this class will start on January 28. It looks like fun! I've taken a couple of Coursera classes and they're pretty well done. It seems to be a good platform, and the discussion groups for each class have been active and awesome.

Grey

I'm glad I saw this. I just signed up.

Edited to add that these courses look great. I also signed up for a World History course called "The Modern World: Global History Since 1760." Looks like I'm going to be doing some studying in the coming year.
    Last edited by Louise; Dec. 21, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Cool--thanks for the tip! I often struggle with the UK-based feeds and "translating" those into what's widely available in the US, but a refresher on basic physiology and what's new in nutrition from an educated source can never be a bad thing!
    Deltawave, I agree wholeheartedly. I'm not sure I remember much from 40 yrs ago, especially if I haven't used it lately. I worked with the Brits back in the mid 60's so it should be interesting to see if I can understand them nowadays.

Had to go back and edit this because I totally forgot to thank Louise for telling me about this course. I did study Anatomy and Physiology back in 1970-71 and while I've used it more on lab animals (rats, rabbits, mice and guinia pigs) from '72-80, I haven't given most of it much thought so it will be interesting to see if I can still remember any of it.
    Last edited by msj; Dec. 21, 2012 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to thank Louise for telling me about course.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

So you all have gotten notification of the course? I haven't.

Good question, Deltawave. I haven't gotten an e-mail notification, beyond what they sent to acknowledge enrollment. I'm on the site for other classes and have been keeping an eye on it, so I saw they had posted a start date. It's still more than a month away, so maybe they'll send something in a couple weeks.

Grey

Haven't heard, either, but it may be too early for that.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Default nutrition course

I got 2 email notifications about the course and program.

The first was a "Welcome to Coursera!" and the 2nd was " Welcome to Equine Nutrition!"
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!