The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Brainstorming Innovative Uses for Farm

Hi,

We have a 15 acre farm in the Southeast US designed for horses. For job reasons, we have had to relocate and I am trying to think of the various ways we could put the farm to work until we can return so that it covers its costs or even evolves into an interesting new business for me. It is a very pretty location not too far from an urban area -- green pastures (red clay), board fencing, sheds, etc.

Of course, the most obvious solution is to rent it. But I keep thinking what else could I do. Here is a short and random list of things I came up with:

Spiritual retreat
    hospice
    sober house
    art/antiques gallery
    farm school
    cow, pig, sheep, turkey, goat, or llama farm
    b&b or haycation sort of place
    special events -- like weddings -- venue
    solar farm

I wonder if anyone out there has ever thought about stuff like this. And if so if you would share them here.

Weddings! There's a place up west of Fort Collins that does weddings all summer. They have a fairly simple metal barn like structure for indoor receptions and if the weather gets wild, and a pretty shaded spot outside for the service. They're always booked solid!

Check the zoning. Many of the suggestions may be prohibited, and others only allowed by special exception, special use permit (which can cOST), or whatever your jurisdiction has cooked up (or WILL by the time you get going). And many things need a local population that will support the farm, business, or whatever. And remember that most small businesses fail in the first two or three years. And if you're not there to look after your property (especially if it's open to strangers), things can happen. BAD things. Gonna be HARD to do long distance...