The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cross Country Course

Does your barn have one? Do you have to drive miles to school on one? How big is it?
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

We just have a few logs at home, but I don't really jump much outside of lessons anyway. My trainer takes groups schooling several times a month at courses 30- 90 minutes away. Each venue has different levels and is appropriate for working on different things, so when in doubt I'll ask her which option she recommends and then meet her there. Finding a place to school Prelim+ questions is much more challenging than finding one to school BN-- luckily I am only about 45 minutes from Fair Hill!

We don't have any fields or trails or anything to put fences on at home, but we have a couple of skinny coops that are about 2'6"ish that we use in the ring. We also make fake ditches out of tarps and rails and sometimes lay out a large tarp to psuedo-simulate water.

As far as xc schooling goes we have plenty of venues within an hour from us but those only go up to Novice. Around here it can be tricky to find places to school Training+. You can drive 2-3 hours and school at plenty of places that go through Prelim, and even Intermediate, but as far as the really local places go, it doesn't get much bigger than 3 feet.

But within those 2-3 hours are the great venues such as Town Hill Farm, GMHA, King Oak, Huntington, Hitching Post, etc. so they are often worth the drive.

ETA: My trainer who is 5 minutes down the road from us has a couple of ditches, one small, one large, a decent bank up/down that ranges from about 2 feet off the low end to probably 3'3" off the high end, a little skinny plank fence with a drop on the landing side that you jump from the ring out, a house, a bench, and a rolltop. So we are lucky in that respect, its good for getting newer riders used to riding around outside of the ring, and gets green horses going over the scary things like ditches and banks in an environment they are comfortable in.
    Last edited by JFCeventer; Jul. 23, 2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Adding
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

We have just a few basic fences at home for introducing the really green horses to the concept of cross-country- some logs, a log ramp and oxer, a coop. We also have a small bank, maybe a foot high, and a narrow ditch in the back field, and if you're careful you can walk through the frog pond.

When I want to actually cross country school I haul about an hour and a half to my trainer's place, where they have jumps through I/A including multiple ditches, a water complex, banks, combinations, etc. He's great since he'll let me bring a horse in and school without having to pay for a lesson : )

We're also about an hour and a half from Percy Warner state park, which is open during August for schooling on Saturdays. Very nice facility with fences thru Prelim, water complex, ditches, banks, etc.

Other than that, there are a couple local places with baby jumps, but many of them are not open for schooling to the public. The other show facilities are approx. 6 hours away!

The farm I manage has a decent schooling field (first time I've ever had more than a few logs and MAYBE a ditch at home). It's somewhere between 5 and 10 acres, and has lots of novice and below stuff, plus some training size and even a few prelim size things. We have a few ditches and two trakhners, a bank complex, and a water complex. Pretty fancy, really.

That being said, I don't love doing anything more than popping over a few things, playing in the water and/or over the banks and ditches with Toby because it is VERY hilly and it is very hard to get a good galloping rhythm established. It is good for LL babies (I took Toby's visiting cousin out there for his first baby xc school last week), but the hills do make just getting a canter going and jumping fences out of rhythm tough.

Of course, I HATE schooling and only do it seriously as needed. Since I have fun stuff to pop over, I do occasionally, but I very rarely SCHOOL (whether at home or away...and there's plenty of stuff nearby, too).

We have from BN through Prelim on the property. Unfortunately they're not full courses as the last owners sold some portables (kind of like selling the holes on a golf course). There are plenty enough obstacles for some good instruction though - we held an Area IV Adult Rider clinic there this weekend. Go to the USEA Area IV FB page to see photos.
    Brock
    Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

The farm where I board used to be more hunter riders, but as boarders have come and gone the newest group are more into eventing(including the barn manager). So in the recent past more "outside" fences have been added. We have several nice long grassy areas, one between the woods and a pasture with 3 logs 2 about 2foot and the middle one around 2'6". Then thru the woods and in the back hay field there is another strip along the woods that has a brush box and another large log. Another area of that field has a ditch and a two level bank. In another small field there is a jump that is made out of rail road ties that has several different heights depending on which way you jump it. A couple of verticals, a small cross rail, and a small roll top. There is also a smallish coup in a fence line along this field. The farm where I board is 100 acres, with several large fields, one smaller field and trails thru the woods. There is also a nice jumping ring and an ok grass dressage ring. If you ride around the edge of both large fields at the back of the farm it is a mile distance, so decent for schooling.

I board at a mainly hunter/jumper barn that hosts two, unrecognized horse trials a year. As a result, we have a full cross-country course for intro, beginner novice, and novice. We also have a few training level jumps. The property itself is about 500 acres, but I would say the cross-country courses are spread over 30 - 40 acres. It's really a wonderful place to board especially given its close proximity to the city (I'm in central VA). We also have numerous trails along the river with plenty of natural logs.

I live in Utah. The only courses here are 45 min south (its a pretty small course) or 1.5 hours north.
    I think both of the courses don't have fences higher than Prelim, but I could be wrong :/
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Our closest course is 4 hours. I'm slowly but surely building jumps into my property. So far I have several ditches (not made as jumps but they're perfectly jumpable,) a small bank I built into the side of the arena, and tiny logs out in the field.

We don't have a full course but we do have a bank and a ditch, and sometimes in the wet season we've got a water jump too! We also have an assortment of XC-ish jumps (tires hanging on a skinny rail, portable coops, etc) and lots of logs.

We're also 45 minutes from Rocking Horse and 90 minutes from the Florida Horse Park or Longwood (yay - now that it's open again). We get out every 8 weeks or so to one of those courses.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

I keep the beast in my backyard and we have exactly nothing jump-wise unless I want to jump in his turnout field. Fortunately we have some good logging trails and a few hay fields nearby, but all we do at home is flatwork and hacking.

We're about 30 minutes from Carolina Horse Park and 45 from Southern Pines, where 50+ acre farms and xc courses aren't exactly unheard of. Although my regular instructor doesn't have an xc course, we branch out and school here and there with those that do. That plus the CHP schooling days seem to be consistent enough to build confidence even in Mr. Wimpy TB. And we're close enough to the Ark (~90 minutes) to school there a few times a year as well.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

not at the farm I board at...or the one I'm building (yet) but easy hacking to ones. We also have access to at least 5 others all within 30 minutes...and beyond count within 2 hours. What levels vary...but all at least through training level size with many up higher. Two courses within 30 minutes have through Advanced fences.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

At home I have a field where I can set jumps, and out there are a small log pile, a small tire jump, and a small ditch. But I very rarely, if ever, jump at home since I don't like to jump without someone around.

Where I keep my horses during show season they have a few small (BN) XC jumps scattered in two of the big paddocks, and one big Training table, but it's sort of an ordeal to make sure all the horses are out of those paddocks so we don't use them very often.

We do, however, have a portable corner, a chevron, and a couple of skinnies for schooling in the regular jumping arena.

There are a handful of places within an hour's drive to school up to Training level, and a couple more within 3 hours that are really nice courses.

Sadly, we're an hour away from arguably one of the best courses in the Midwest (Richland Park) and they allow NO schooling there.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Topaz View Post
    Our closest course is 4 hours. I'm slowly but surely building jumps into my property. So far I have several ditches (not made as jumps but they're perfectly jumpable,) a small bank I built into the side of the arena, and tiny logs out in the field.
    I'm in a similar boat, but I don't own the property so can't make any changes that can't be moved by one person. I have a small field where we have a few logs set up, and still our largest 'jump' my horse can trot over with ease.
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

Our barn has one in one of the big pastures. We're on rolling hills, and have several jumps that range from BN-T. We're on 120 acres with groomed bridle paths around the pastures so it's perfect for long trots on rolling hills etc.

Locally there is another XC place to go school about 15 minutes away that is a full course with water obstacle, steeplechase etc. Beyond that the other places to school are about 2 hours away. Actual competitions range from 2-8 hours away.
    Cloverfox Stables

I'm about 45 mins from Lexington, KY - so I have KY Horse Park, which is open for schooling I think 6 days a year and Masterson Station Park, which is a public park with a BN/N side and a T/P side of jumps. Lots of stuff to school, it's awesome, and you can go whenever you want to. I keep my horses at home and have an outdoor arena with barrels and enough standards, cavaletti, and poles to make a solid course. I also have 2 log jumps, nothing exciting though

My trainer has a small xc field with a ditch, logs, big and small banks, and a stone wall. If I want to school on a larger scale, I live 5 minutes from Meika Decher and she has a 20-30 acre xc course with up to prelim jumps including water. Or I can drivr 30 mins and school at another facility, but not as nice. Aspen and NWEC are two hours away, doable but a little far for a casual school.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

We are lucky to have a bunch of stuff at home, and are building more right now! We have basic coops, rolltops, logs, etc in sizes BN-Training, as well as a small bank (revetted on 3 sides with a ramp on the 4th, about 2'-2'6") and a step, a couple of ditches, a Trakehner, and a Helsinki. They're re-doing the water jump right now as well, although it has no way to fill it so we are going to be praying for rain even more than we already are.

I am lucky to live 1.5-2 hours from a myriad of schooling opportunities, including Masterson, KHP, Hoosier Horse Park, Twin Towers, Flying Cross...

My current barn is a h/j barn, so no cross country anything, however, I am moving my horse to the Woodside Horse Park, so instead of a 10 minute haul to go schooling, it will be a three minute walk!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg