The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Custom (or not custom?) boot opinions

I'm sure this thread has been done a thousand times before, so sorry.
    I'm currently in the "planning" stage of buying yet another pair of show boots. Last summer (exactly a year ago, actually) I bought a pair of Ariat Monacos to replace my Der Dau's (which i hated!!) after they finally gave out at the seams and got holes in the calf (and needed new soles....). Loved the Monacos at first- they fit me like a glove, and i LOVED the high spanish top, as I have freakishly long legs, with the most freakish part being the length from hip to knee, so the spanish top balanced out the long thigh. For reference, I am only 5'3" and wear a 7 slim TALL.
    Anyway, a year later, I'm looking for new boots, so obviously I'm not too happy with the Ariats. They're just not wearing as well as I'd like. I only wear them for shows, but as someone who shows 3 times a month probably 9 months out of the year, that's quite a lot. Even though I show a lot, i do expect my nearly $1000 investment to hold up a little better than they have. One zipper is about to give out (it is missing a few teeth at the heel) I have a seam at the heel split, the leather at the sole is cracking a bit and they're not polishing up as nicely as i'd like.
    I am admittedly really hard on my boots, but come on. I clean them after use, use quality products, and keep them in trees. I ride at home in crappy boots that I can't stand just to try to get more life out of my show boots, but they're still breaking down....though not as badly as the Der Dau's did.

Anyway, looking for suggestions (that aren't Ariat or Der Dau) that are reasonably tough, and beautiful. I need the high top and attention to detail. Can be custom or off the rack. I'd like to not spend more than $1500, if possible, which I feel is reasonable and gives me plenty of room to play.

Pictures and links to brands would be helpful

Thanks in advance!!

After reading all the posts on boots here and trying on a gazillion off-the-rack boots, I went with another pair of custom Dehners. This is my 3rd pair in my lifetime (first was at 16, 3rd at 51) and I love the fit as well as how they wear. Make sure you get a professional to measure you, someone who has done alot of measuring!

Quote Originally Posted by waremares View Post
    After reading all the posts on boots here and trying on a gazillion off-the-rack boots, I went with another pair of custom Dehners. This is my 3rd pair in my lifetime (first was at 16, 3rd at 51) and I love the fit as well as how they wear. Make sure you get a professional to measure you, someone who has done alot of measuring!
    Well, if you like the look of the Monacos and the Der Daus, you probably won't like the look of a pair of Dehners. They are very different styles!

With $1500 I would consider custom Tuccis or Parlantis. You would have to stick to the very base model of Tuccis (unless you can open your budget up by $300-400), but they are beautiful boots and should last you a long time with good care.

Alternatively, Tucci just released an off the rack boot for $900 with lots of sizing options. I purchased a pair and while I have only had they for a couple months, they seem to be holding up really well.

I got off the rack Parlanti's and I love them! I generally only show in them as well. I have had them for about a year and they look great. I have a slim calf and a relatively tall leg (I am 5'8") and a size 8.5-9 foot, and the off the racks fit like customs. They are comfortable to ride in and look great.

I just got measured for La Mundials. They are full custom for $600 and are really nice quality (I admired a friend's pair for years before I got measured for mine)!!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpony321 View Post
    Last summer (exactly a year ago, actually) I bought a pair of Ariat Monacos
    Loved the Monacos at first- they fit me like a glove, and i LOVED the high spanish top,

Anyway, a year later, I'm looking for new boots, so obviously I'm not too happy with the Ariats.
    I only wear them for shows 3 times a month probably 9 months out of the year.

One zipper is about to give out (it is missing a few teeth at the heel)
    I have a seam at the heel split,
    the leather at the sole is cracking a bit and
    they're not polishing up as nicely as i'd like.

I clean them after use, use quality products, and keep them in trees. I ride at home in crappy boots that I can't stand just to try to get more life out of my show boots, but they're still breaking down

OK now send this version of your post off to Ariat - to every email that you can find for the company - & to the tack shop you bought the boots from ... hopefully someone will stand behind this product & at least send you a replacement pair of boots.

Sergio Grasso? Do you really need custom? I love the Sergio Grassos. I got Vogels, though, because I have uneven calves. I love my Vogels!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

For off the rack, check out Tucci and Parlanti, they run just under $1,000. For customs, check out La Mundial. They look great, arrive quickly and are very inexpensive. PM me and I'll put you in touch with where you can buy these.

Quote Originally Posted by cabby773 View Post
    I got off the rack Parlanti's and I love them! I generally only show in them as well. I have had them for about a year and they look great. I have a slim calf and a relatively tall leg (I am 5'8") and a size 8.5-9 foot, and the off the racks fit like customs. They are comfortable to ride in and look great.
    Hi Cabby.. Where did you get your off the rack Parlanti's? I'm interested and trying to track them down.. hoping to find them set up in Vermont this week. Thanks..

Parlanti or Filli Fabbri

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    OK now send this version of your post off to Ariat - to every email that you can find for the company - & to the tack shop you bought the boots from ... hopefully someone will stand behind this product & at least send you a replacement pair of boots.
    Agreed. Not the Monacos, but I had 2, maybe 3 pairs of Ariats crap out on me way before their time. Thankfully, I ordered from Dover and they just kept replacing them for me for free until I was smart enough NOT to buy Ariats again

I know it's not the fashionista name to drop any more but my Vogels from '93 are still good-had zippers put in around 2007-because I am aging and various parts of the body reflect that sad fact.

They are still high quality, should be in that price range and alot of Pros still get them and get years of daily wear out of them-then send them for a resole, sometimes new tops if they wear thru where the leathers rub and get some more years. Just be sure you get a good measure if you go with them, or any custom. That tends to be where problems can occur, they don't fit because the measurement was incorrect.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by *Liz* View Post
    Not the Monacos, but I had 2, maybe 3 pairs of Ariats crap out on me way before their time. Thankfully, I ordered from Dover and they just kept replacing them for me for free until I was smart enough NOT to buy Ariats again
    You were lucky. My zipper broke on my Westchesters just a bit after 1 year. Not only did they not replace them, they charged me $80 for the repair. I think the repair lasted about 1 year! And, of course, the other zipper broke, as well.

It does look like Ariat finally may have resolved their zipper issue, just going by the look of the zipper on the new Crowne Pros in the store.

But I already gave up and got Vogels.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I just got measured for La Mundials. They are full custom for $600 and are really nice quality (I admired a friend's pair for years before I got measured for mine)!!
    Would you give an update when you do get them? I was very interested and then found a thread that scared me away from them. I'd love to hear how your experience goes

Default La Mundial

At least 5 people in my barn, including my trainer, have these and love them. They look beautiful and for under $700 they are a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    You were lucky. My zipper broke on my Westchesters just a bit after 1 year. Not only did they not replace them, they charged me $80 for the repair. I think the repair lasted about 1 year! And, of course, the other zipper broke, as well.
    I feel like you got UNlucky. Then again, maybe you had yours just a bit too long. Dover has replaced like 4 pairs of boots for me for free - Ariat and Mountain Horse, however I had them sent back with premature wear/holes in the calves in under 6 months.

Highly recommend Sergio Grasso! I have had my semi-custom pair for over 5 years. They still look brand new, people give me compliments all the time, and the only issue I had was to replace the zipper last year. I didn't have a problem replacing the zipper because they aren't meant to last that long anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by aascvt View Post
    Hi Cabby.. Where did you get your off the rack Parlanti's? I'm interested and trying to track them down.. hoping to find them set up in Vermont this week. Thanks..
    My daughter bought a pair of off the rack Parlanti Dress Boots at Vermont last week.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    My daughter bought a pair of off the rack Parlanti Dress Boots at Vermont last week.
    Good experience?

Also wondering if anyone has the DeNiro Ottaviano's? I am particularly loving the look of the Aurora's.. which is the softer leather model. Every review on Smartpak is wonderful.. and I love Smartpak's customer service. They are said to fit as well as a custom boot, although they are stock. I would just worry about getting the fit right.. but they look gorgeous, especially for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by aascvt View Post
    Good experience?

Also wondering if anyone has the DeNiro Ottaviano's? I am particularly loving the look of the Aurora's.. which is the softer leather model. Every review on Smartpak is wonderful.. and I love Smartpak's customer service. They are said to fit as well as a custom boot, although they are stock. I would just worry about getting the fit right.. but they look gorgeous, especially for that price.
    I have the regular ottavianos and love them, but if I had the chance.... I'd definitely go for the Auroras since I think the leather is different and much more soft. I get a lot of wear and tear on my boots, so I think my choice was right.

Just measure yourself with what you're going to wear with the boots, have 2 other people measure you too, just to make sure, the boots are pretty correct with their size chart.