The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Jindabyne, NSW, Australia... Soon to be Calgary

Question Calgary Hunter/Jumper Message Boards?

New to the COTH board, not sure where to find other Calgary members.... I've been in Australia for the past 2 years, (grew up in Ottawa), but moving to Calgary area late October.

Have taken 2 years off while overseas. Will be looking for a barn that I can just take weekly lessons at for the winter(on a borrowed horse?), then I'll be looking to purchase a young/greenie in the spring.

Looking for suggestions

You can private message me if you prefer.

Seems alot of them post on here (Edmonton too) and COTHERs are always ready to share experiences and recommend who to do business with and who to run from screaming. Anywhere in the world.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Hello fellow Canadian living in Oz!

Don't really have any tips for message boards though I do know there a few Albertans on here and hopefully they will pop in.

And welcome to COTH!

P.

Thanks Polydor and findeight!

I'll have to do some searching through the forums

May be best to just get back in the area first. We arrive mid-October, just in time for Harvest Classic at Spruce I see So I'll go do some snooping around then. Less "International" competitors I assume, and more local barns attend?

Any tips on where to live in Calgary? Seems South is where there are more barns?

You never know if they are good barns though...even if there are more of them-land just might be cheaper and the best barns are closer to where their clients live and work.

Why not start a new thread "Barn/trainer recommendations for Jumpers in Calgary area". Include how many horses you have, if any, need a schoolie, looking to lease or buy and at what level you want to school and compete.

Then, you just go on to reply to your own post and type "bump" periodically to keep it on page one. You can delete the "bumps" if you want. Nobody looks much past page 1.

I suspect you will get more traffic if you wait a few weeks, you Canucks post alot more when it starts getting cold...like in about 3 weeks.

We used to have sort of Crazy Canuck days around US Thanksgiving when cabin fever starts to set in.

Enjoy the BB, good entertainment and a good source for recommendations.

There are quite a few of us on here from Calgary, all are very helpful and friendly. Welcome!

Lots of barns in South Calgary, some good some not so good LOL. Once you buy a horse do you want indoor board or outside (that will make a difference as many good ones do not do outside board).

For now, for school horse lessons there's quite a few options. Best bet is to take this list, and any others that people may add, and go and visit each barn when you arrive. Most are open to people just dropping in with no issues.

I ride at Teesdale Stables, which is very close to Spruce and we have quite a large school horse program, lots of leasers and lots of owners. Our school horses show on the "novice rider circuit" upto 2ft6, and leasers and boarders do shows in Alberta and BC. (Lots of other barns travel to Thermal etc, but we haven't yet).

Christine (owner/trainer) has owned Teesdale for 25 yrs in the same location. We have 2 outdoor sand rings, 2 jumper grass rings and 2 indoor arenas.
    http://www.teesdaleridingschool.com/...ages/about.htm

There's also, Willowgrove Stables (Trish Mrwakwa owner/trainer). A bit further out, and only 1 indoor (as are most) but Trish is very good with hunter and eq riders.
    http://www.willowgrovestables.com/links/

Paramount Stables
    http://paramountequestriancentre.com/

Greenbriar (can't seem to find a website).

Those are the ones with school horse programs that I recommend, but there are more. I'm not sure if Andrea Harris has a school horse program, (or website) but if she does she very good.

Once you get into owning and showing, there are a LOT of very good trainers and barns around the Calgary area. Coming to the Harvest Classic at Spruce and looking around and talking to people is a GREAT idea. It will really let you see the numerous trainers and styles in the area......and "welcome to Calgary"
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Hey there, I'm another one that ended up deposited in Alberta from Ottawa!

Send me a message if you like and I can offer up a ton of suggestions based on level of riding you'd like to do and your price range! I'm living about an hour from Calgary right now but have a ton of contacts and friends close to Calgary and will happily help you find a good match!

Rachel

This is probably the only place I can say something like this and have it make sense...

Figure out where where the barns that suit you are and where you will ride Relate that to where you will work. THEN look for place to live someplace that makes getting to either reasonable.

Only horse people think like that but it's worked for me 3 times now.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    This is probably the only place I can say something like this and have it make sense...

Figure out where where the barns that suit you are and where you will ride Relate that to where you will work. THEN look for place to live someplace that makes getting to either reasonable.

LOL.....totally agree. I've lived here for 25yrs, and when my hubby and I bought our house together, the only stipulation I had was it had to be close to the barn It doesn't hurt that it's also across the street from Spruce Meadows...fabulous during the big shows!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Thumbs up

Fabulous responses! Beginning of Oct may be best to start this topic up again...

We have the freedom (if you want to call it that?) of having no set area of where to live yet, nor have started the job search Will wait until Sept.

My boyfriend is Irish and has given me the reins to make all the location arrangements So, I thought, maybe we'd chose an area that's horse friendly. THEN get the job/house thing sorted. Crazy? ha ha

Last horse was a TB X Perch that I did a bit of everything with. Ontario "B" shows for 2 yrs and a few "A" shows, then brought to HITS Ocala for a winter. 3'-3'6" Hunters/Medals/Jumpers. Sold him as a Medal/Jr.Jumper in Boston as felt the "responsible adult" thing coming on and bought a house! (Sold the house 3 yrs later and moved to Australia!)

Since then, just rode friends horses or started a few greenies. But now haven't rode in 2 yrs.

Want to buy a greenie again in the spring to start on my own with the assistance of a weekly lesson... Of course, in a perfect world, I'd find same arrangement as my previous trainer: Helping them out with their greenies that need extra rides. (thus avoiding the boarding fees/vet bills/farrier/endless blanket purchases!) I've hit my 30's and we need to buy house, new cars, etc.

Perhaps a part-lease should the right opportunity arise?

Regardless, glad there's many Calgarians available on here!!!
    Part of the unofficial "Organized Tack Box" Club!

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post

So funny, we are in the process of finding a new house right now, and I will be also be working out of a new district in Calgary early next year. House location and my first choice of district to work out of are based on where my horse lives! lol