The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default tractor experts: good tractor for farmette?

I'm in the process of negotiating on a farmette, and one of the things that may (or may not be, if I don't want it) included is a tractor. It's a Kubota L3830 and I would want it for just around the farm type stuff (7 acres). I'd want it specifically for manure spreading, but in the future would want to do arena dragging, and would want something to haul stuff around if need be. Are those activities within this tractor's capabilities? I know jack about tractors...

Well, I know jack about Kubota's but there is probably a Kubota store nearby that can answer your questions.

Good luck and I hope you get the farmette and enjoy it as much as I do mine.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Seems like it should work very well, as long as it is in good shape. 37 hp should be plenty for a small farm. Ours is 26 hp (I think) and we love it. If your farm is hilly though 4WD is important. Good luck!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...ota-l3830.html

37 HP, 32 for the PTO. Mine's slightly smaller at about 30 for the PTO. We got it well used and aren't beng kind to it. It has pulled a chisel plow and has an additional attachment point in the hyd for a backhoe or other, which we use a lot. Bush hogs, finish mows. Considering that my trainer used to drag the arena using a drag behind the cart while she was jogging horses, your tractor should do the job. I think the FEL can handle 900 lbs or so - we fill it full of loose rock and it's OK, if we try to chain big rocks to the bucket that won't quite fit, it doesn't like that. If it's in good shape you can find the value online for comparison.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Thanks! Unfortunately, we're going under contract before noon tomorrow (if my counter offer is accepted), so I'm trying to do frantic research online prior to that.

Good to know about the 4WD; it's 2WD but the farm is fairly flat.

Thanks for that link, ReSomething! That is appreciated. The price for the tractor is definitely comparable, but I wasn't sure if that kind of tractor could do what I wanted it to do in terms of around the barn work. I'm fairly certain it comes with a bush hog, which would also be nice for the back pastures.

Implements add to the value. Especially if they are already there and in good working order. They are immensely overpriced new, but of course if they are broken they are just the previous owner's trash you have to clean up, and used ones can be had but can be a nightmare to load and transport.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    Thanks! Unfortunately, we're going under contract before noon tomorrow (if my counter offer is accepted), so I'm trying to do frantic research online prior to that.

Good to know about the 4WD; it's 2WD but the farm is fairly flat.

Thanks for that link, ReSomething! That is appreciated. The price for the tractor is definitely comparable, but I wasn't sure if that kind of tractor could do what I wanted it to do in terms of around the barn work. I'm fairly certain it comes with a bush hog, which would also be nice for the back pastures.
    I don't know where you're located but if you have any snow or mud issues at all, you'll want 4WD. I'm about as flat as a pancake but we have maybe 100A"+ of snow per winter, some which turns our 'wonderful' clay soil to mud come spring and without 4 WD I'd be lost. I always get the mower stuck at least once or twice a yr and need the tractort pull it out.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

If you determine that this specific Kubota model isn't perfect for your needs, Kubotas have great trade-in value...even older ones...because they are quality machines and run 'forever' with proper care. This property came with an older L-serie, two-wheel drive Kubota with a funky add-on belly mower. I used it once and traded it in for the Kubota BX series TLB I have had now for a dozen years that better fits my needs.

I'm with msj on the 4WD. If you get lots of snow and gumbo mud, 2WD just ain't gonna do it. I live on pretty flat land too, and I honestly cannot think of a single person in the district that has straight 2WD tractors now, they are all 4WD or at least 4 wheel assist and I am not just talking about the 200hp and bigger tractors but smaller stuff too. Yeah, there are a couple of guys with working sort of antiques they use for grain vacs and augers but the sure don't try using them unless the yards are bone dry.

I'm not so sure about Kubotas - lots of bad ones out there and resale here sucks. Neighbour bought two spiffy new ones (150hp or more) and one broke down after two days, and the town bought one and the glass shattered the first time the town man ran itl now there must be something wrong with it again as I see he has been using the elderly Belarus. The way I see it, there are 6-7 Kubotas in the district, and two have had problems, big onesaso 1/3 of the tractors having major problems within the first week of operation and myriad of small ones is just too high on the side of bad. Windows shattering in the cab, actually blowing inward, is worse than you think - dangerous for the operator and compromises the stability of the cab.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

No snow around these parts; I'm fairly certain it shuts the state down, from what I gather. Which is hilarious to me, coming from central MN.

Mud is a consideration, but unless I sell this one and buy a new one, 4WD isn't an option right now. The options to my question were "take" or "leave" tractor. If it sucks, I suppose I could eventually go through the hassle of selling it and buying another, more suitable, model.

Thanks for all your replies!

Take it because something is better than nothing. Are there any inplements that come with it like a bush hog or belly mower, front end loader, etc?
    Sue

We managed with snow and mud, using a Ford 8N, 2WD with chains and loaded tires. It got the jobs done, and did good work over a great many years. Took the spreader out and dumped it in deep snow, plowed, mowed, disced, pulled full hay wagons, really didn't get it stuck hardly ever. You learn what the machine is capable of, then can finesse your driving to suit conditions. We have slippery clay, get some deep snow, 2WD Ford still got the work done fine. Sign of Spring was taking the chains off!

I got a used Kabota last year, sounds smaller than the farm's used one, but a nice tractor. It was mostly for the loader, to put sawdust in the barn after DD quit doing stalls to go off to school. I like the Kabota a LOT. Absolutely no issues with it, 10yrs old. Some folks don't take care in driving machines they don't own. Windows blowing in, sounds like they might have gotten hit from the outside. I had a truck windshield do that when it got hit by a rock from a passing truck. Had shattered glass ALL over. Lucky to have my sunglasses on, so no eye damage.

And if you are from Minnesota, you KNOW that depending on 4WD, pushing things, can just get you stuck faster and deeper! We see those folks driving the Highway as they pass us with our 2WD truck, then we see them stuck in the median. 4WD is not going to save you if you press on regardless of a situation.

I would take the tractor that is on the farm, enjoy using it. Give it a year, then if it is not making you happy, trade it. Do get it checked over, serviced, before you work it much. Have to say most folks don't take care in servicing them, checking fluids, tire pressure, and keeping things greased.

Read the manual, that will teach you a LOT. Drive with the loader low, to keep your center of gravity low, less tippy, in moving tractor around out in the fields. Use the seatbelt if the roll-over-bar is up. Use the parking brake if you have to stop and get off. Two men killed recently, both just hopped off tractors and got rolled over with no parking brake on. DOESN'T HAVE to happen. Tractors are not toys, so you need to take the extra minute to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    I'm in the process of negotiating on a farmette, and one of the things that may (or may not be, if I don't want it) included is a tractor. It's a Kubota L3830 and I would want it for just around the farm type stuff (7 acres). I'd want it specifically for manure spreading, but in the future would want to do arena dragging, and would want something to haul stuff around if need be. Are those activities within this tractor's capabilities? I know jack about tractors...

Get a B series Kubota with 4wd and a loader- used or new they are easy to switch out implements and service. I also have an old L Series Kubota which I use exclusively for the bush hog and spreader (more hp).