The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I keep my horses in my backyard and not every horse is able to handle that. The breeds that I have had that handled it the best are:
    My current mare is Appendix and I LOVE her sensitive but solid sensible brain. Her Welsh pony is the most solid citizen I have ever had.
    I have had two draft crosses here, the Perch/Morgan mare did way better than the Belgian/Qh but he had trust issues from his Amish upbringing.
    I had two separate Conn/tb crosses, one handled it better than the other, oddly enough, the hotter one handled it better.

If I could afford to board and had more time it would be an OTTB all the way, but it is the rare tb, ime that can handle this lifestyle. My friend has one though so they are out there!
    Grab mane and kick on!

There's no basis to assume you'll get all of the best qualities of each breed. A friend who breeds some crosses said that you might HOPE to get a calm but athletic horse with good bone from a TB / Perch cross. But you could just a easily end up with a psychotic backhoe. His advice- let a breeder assume the risk and assess the result when it's 4 or 5. Makes sense to me.
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

Heinz,
    What is the breeding of your horse?

We have one just like him. Ours is 17.1h.
    He is by Woodsman's Image, by Woodman. He took a long time to grow into himself, so we had to be patient during the growth spurts. He is one of those who can go months without being ridden, while my son is away at grad school, then go right back to being a lovely ride.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

My Connemara/TB mare has many of the most desirable characteristics but she has also always been hot and opinionated, very much a one person horse. I've had her since she was five and very green (ten now) and she's had exactly one stop on cross country in that time, at her first Training level event. We are doing Prelim now but she is easily jumping a foot over many of the Prelim size fences and has the stride and scope to do the upper levels. I am happy at Prelim, but it's nice to have the extra scope. She has incredible feet and was barefoot until I put shoes on her this spring so that we could put studs in. The Connemara part really does give them incredible scope and cattiness, but they aren't the easiest of horses and I'm not sure I'll ever get her to truly relax in the dressage ring.

I've had three TB's and I loved them, but the therapeutic shoeing and vet bills that I had with all three of mine would probably put me off owning a full TB again. Morgan seems to add a good dose of brain and hardiness, and I've been very pleased with the Morgan/Welsh gelding that we bought last year for my daughter. He has been so honest and sensible and has taken to eventing like a duck to water. Great feet too.
    Last edited by vali; Jul. 23, 2012 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eventamy View Post
    If I could afford to board and had more time it would be an OTTB all the way, but it is the rare tb, ime that can handle this lifestyle. My friend has one though so they are out there!
    I guess my guy, and the others I've had, never got that message. They've enjoyed my backyard just fine, and are about to move back into it! He is OK in a stall, but moves better, eats better, and seems happier when outside 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by whicker View Post
    Heinz,
    What is the breeding of your horse?

We have one just like him. Ours is 17.1h.
    He is by Woodsman's Image, by Woodman. He took a long time to grow into himself, so we had to be patient during the growth spurts. He is one of those who can go months without being ridden, while my son is away at grad school, then go right back to being a lovely ride.
    He's by Personal Flag, out of Mystical Bird(Pleasant Colony). Mystical Bird's damsire is Northern Dancer. From what I've seen and been told, the size, bone, movement and brain are all common characteristics in Pleasant Colony lines, at least up close. I love him dearly and wouldn't hesitate to climb on him after a few months of vacation. In fact, I did just that the other day - it's probably been two or three months since I rode him, and I climbed aboard with a bareback pad and had a nice, pleasant hack.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    From what I've seen and been told, the size, bone, movement and brain are all common characteristics in Pleasant Colony lines, at least up close.
    Which brings me to my future perfect packer, Danny (that's him in action yesterday at BN). He's only four, and he started jumping in April but he's as unflappable as horses get.

His pedigree is here.

Last year, when he was 3, he was the horse that friends could get on to go trail riding. He'd always go first, especially if we had any nervous/spooky horses with us.

I don't think packerhood has much to do with breeding, except that a packer does have to be comfortable to ride. For many people, this means a horse with more substance and more forgiving conformation. In Danny's case, he's 16.2hh and there's plenty of room to sit. A more short-coupled horse -- like my beloved mares, who are not packers -- might not be able to be as forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Which brings me to my future perfect packer, Danny (that's him in action yesterday at BN). He's only four, and he started jumping in April but he's as unflappable as horses get.

His pedigree is here.

Last year, when he was 3, he was the horse that friends could get on to go trail riding. He'd always go first, especially if we had any nervous/spooky horses with us.

I don't think packerhood has much to do with breeding, except that a packer does have to be comfortable to ride. For many people, this means a horse with more substance and more forgiving conformation. In Danny's case, he's 16.2hh and there's plenty of room to sit. A more short-coupled horse -- like my beloved mares, who are not packers -- might not be able to be as forgiving.

LUCKY! He's adorable, and definitely shows a PC resemblance. I've been lusting after a PC-bred baby for my next horse, and tried to get my hands on an Earth Colony filly to no avail. Breeder couldn't be bothered to take a current picture for me, and I was offering to buy the filly from across the country.

So, instead, I'm attempting to breed my Westphalian mare for a nice Warmblood baby that might be able to do some mid-level eventing. She also has a lovely temperament, good bone, and good feet. Not to mention she's just pretty. I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't ever be able to replace/replicate my big guy when he retires, and maybe it's better if I move on to something different when that time comes.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Default Near Beer

I find it funny that you all are mixing draft and tb and other breeds for brains...to get a horse like an Irish Draught. Just go get an Irish Draught instead of trying to create a brew just like an Irish Draught.
    The real thing.
    http://www.lonetreefarm.net/video.htm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZofYI...feature=relmfu
    PatO

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy That View Post
    Given the OP's example of IRON LEGS, AWESOME FEET (think big round hooves) and EASY (SAFE/SANE/SOUND), I'm thinking "pure TB" wasn't what she had in mind and it certainly isn't what I'd "dream up" in this whimsical "what if" fun thread.

Having owned two OTTBs, I'm not sure they are known for their excellent bone, excellent quality of hooves/feet, and easy-keeping/low-maintainance qualities and not alot of them are super quiet-minded. In fact, most TBs I've known or have had are all HIGH-MAINTAINANCE. Not having good/sound-forever type legs, or good hooves/feet, and being harder to keep weight on and sometimes just not as simple to own/ride/manage (some of them being hot, etc) EXCELLENT ATHLETES THOUGH, with a heart of gold, and the most willing and people-pleasing horses out there

Anyways - OP - I like some of the "mixy-mix" examples folks have given. I truly believe there are other breeds besides TBs, that naturally have a QUIETER MIND, EASIER KEEPERS, can stay BAREFOOT and SOUND with nice big round strong hooves, have GOOD BONE, and can simply just be easy to own, ride, train and manage.

I think the 1/2 TB idea - with some of the quiet nature of the QH thrown in, and some of the really EXCELLENT bone/hooves/soundness of a hardier breed like some Pony blood or even Morgan or Standarbred (yes - STBs have iron legs and hooves) and maybe some of the mass and again quiet nature of a drop of draft Heck, some of the BEST LEGGED/BEST HOOVED, longest lived and sound horses are actually Andalusians and Lusitanos. Yes - they tend to have really good bone, substance and incredible feet.

I'm a stickler on good bone and EXCELLENT hooves. Seems noone breeds for "good feet" these days - especially in the TB and QH world.

Fun thread!
    I totally agree on the Morgan x TB cross, and I'd throw in a Welsh cob (Section D) x TB as being an excellent cross for eventing and hunting too! (Someone around here has a Trak x Morgan that looks interesting)

Also my trainer when I was a teen evented a Lusitano stallion to the top levels - stunning guy.

I would skip the Qh crosses though - haven't seen many with great feet, a level/uphill balance, nor with a good bone/body mass ratio.
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Thanks for all your thoughts. Delightful to read about all the great combos!
    What's Horsie in the Twin Tiers? Find out here:
    http://thetwintiershorse.blogspot.com/

Former user name: GilbertsCreeksideAcres

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Fred, if I ever got my hands on a Pleasant Colony-bred mare, I would love to put her with your boy and see what kind of magic is produced.
    Thank you Heinz.
    I'm a big fan of PC too.

I have a young mare in foal to AFR, and I am really excited about this cross.
    Here is her pedigree
    www.pedigreequery.com/trinity+creek
    and here is his
    www.pedigreequery.com/a+fine+romance

Old bloodlines abounding.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

TB, full qh, or appendix qh. Ive just had a ton of luck with my appendix who went though prelim with a YR before me. A ton of luck with all my TBs especially the guy I have now. I also had a blast on my full qh. He was sound, quick, willing, and game for anything even at 15.2! My Appendix/WB gelding was super and had a good mind. He just had soundness issues from being pushed so hard as a young horse.

I guess it depends on each horse as an individual. Sometimes the grades make the best horses. Sometimes they dont.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I also have 2 tbs in the "backyard" with great feet and living on hay and a ration balancer. My previous ottb, I must admit, had terrible feet and that "wish to die". But 2 out of 3 ain't bad (especially considering how ignorant I was when I bought the first one!).
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Thoroughbred.
    None smarter. None more athletic, trainable, loving a rider no matter what, forgiving, capable. I wouldn't mix anything. I would find a horse already bred for five centuries to perform.
    Another vote for thoroughbred. Got one. The Ultimate Adult Ammy/Husband wants to event (and be successful) horse. Great feet. Great brain. Kind and forgiving. Elegant mover. Nice over fences. We bought him sight unseen off the track two years ago. Breeding that would not thrill most pedigree experts here. Nice bone. Can't say enough nice things about this boy, and the husband adores him.

My son, who hasn't evented in four years, took him novice three weeks ago and finished second on his dressage score. Husband schooled training fences with him yesterday and horse never put a foot down wrong.

I will say he has been a challenge to maintain, but the further away he gets from time on the track the less high maintainence he is becoming.

Build the Perfect Ammie Eventing Horse

If you were to mix a perfect blend of breeds to create a hardy amateur eventing horse that has great bone, superior feet, just the right amount of muscle and power, yet decent speed, with a good mind and kind personality, what would you use?

What would YOU use?
    This is exactly the kind of horse I have been breeding with my Warmbloods. They are about 1/4 to 1/3, or even 1/2 TB, and the rest Dutch and Hanoverian blood.

They have been kid and amateur friendly from about 10-15 days undersaddle, including jumping. Ridden and shown barefoot, just easy, easy horses.

I have not chosen the modern Warmblood lines, with their sensitivity and reactiveness that need Pro's to win Gold medals, but the older, forgiving, kindhearted lines, but they are still excellent athletes, and good movers and jumpers.

Just a heads up that we removed a post bumping up this older thread. Feel free to continue the discussion; just wanted to make you all aware it was an older thread.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

I'd take an Irish Sport horse any day. Although I did get to ride my trainer's connemara gelding once or twice, and while he is not an ammy ride most of the time, I never worried about getting to the fence when I was on him. My current, but on rest for lameness issues is an OTTB turf mare.
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cameraine View Post
    I'd take an Irish Sport horse any day. Although I did get to ride my trainer's connemara gelding once or twice, and while he is not an ammy ride most of the time, I never worried about getting to the fence when I was on him. My current, but on rest for lameness issues is an OTTB turf mare.
    I am all for the Irish breeding. The ID and Connemara have been bred to do what we do for centuries. I have had one terrific Ammy IDSH, and many connemara/tb and connemara/wb crosses and most of the ones I've had were sensible. And I never have to put shoes on them until they require studs. Most have t0 wear grazing muzzles during the spring and summer. The 1/2 ID 1/2 TB is ideal for the ammy, imho. For the UL's, I'd go for 3/4 tb and 1/4 ID or Connemara.

My experience with the draft crosses is that they are wonderful but sometimes don't hold up into their teens. In my experience, it has been the flatter feet and a tendency toward ringbone. With the Quarterhorses, some of the breeding has resulted in a narrower foot, prone to navicular problems. But surely not all draft crosses and quarter horses have these problems.

I've met some Morgans that were to die for... and crossed with a TB, would probably produce something awesome. And then there are the warmblood/tb crosses that are lovely. Geeze, there are a lot of combinations out there that are lovely. But in the end, there's always tb blood in there.

TB crosses rock!
    Last edited by Winding Down; Nov. 24, 2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: additional information