The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can I staple poly tape to a wood post?

Running hot tape today and wanted to.know.if.I can use a staple gun toconnect to hot tape to the wood posts at the ends. I ran out of fasteners. Thanks!

no

you have to have the insulators. Wood is not a good conductor, but it will ground out your fence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Its for the end of the fence. My paddock is 3 sided with no climb fence, so.only.one side is hot. Im dividing it to get some grass.to grow.

Still no. I always put in the last step-in posts next to the wood post and then tie it to the wood post for support. Just make sure the tape is not touching the wood or anything else that can ground it.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

No. The wire cannot touch the wood. The wire/tape can only touch plastic insulators or your fence will not work.

Darn. I reply didn't want to drive in to town for 3 connectors. Thanks ya'll!

You can run the tape through a piece of old garden hose and loop that around the post, then tie the tape to itself. The rubber insulates the ribbon from the wood.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Yeah, you don't have to have commercial insulators - make your own (air works great) just don't staple to the wood.

I plan to connect mine to 2 trees....but it will not be hot anywhere. Just for a visual barrier. If it's to be hot, you'll need insulators or hose to prevent the tape touching the wood.

Trying to think what else you could use for insulators that you might have around the place - any kind of china works, even a broken coffee cup, if you can figure out how to fasten it firmly. No wedding china with the decorative metal band of course.
    Step in posts.
    We buy insulators by the bag and have them around for just this sort of thing.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

you can use baling twine. it's plastic.

It is best to use the insulators. That tape can be grounded out so easily it's not funny.I tried to do mine pefect and still got grounded and drained my fence charger battery. Horses are too darmed smart too when it comes to Electric fence. It can ground out so easy.