The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to take care of saddle that is not being used?

I've searched, I swear! DD's lovely Pessoa Pony lives in my guest room covered with a polarfleece saddle cover. How often should I oil it? Clean it? We refuse to sell it, so I want to make sure I'm treating it well while it's "resting."

In the house I have Murphy's, Effax, Passier lederbalsam, and Fiebing's mink oil liquid.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

You're off to the right start by keeping it covered up & storing it in a climate controlled environment. Get yourself a bottle of Leather Therapy Conditioner/Restorer and use as needed. Maybe once per month is a good place to start, and go from there. You might not even need to do it that often.

This is the stuff... http://www.smartpakequine.com/leathe...x?cm_vc=Search

I store my saddles in the house, and I think I wipe my stored saddles down with a damp cloth and oil them lightly once a year or so. I'm not sure if that's ideal or not, but they don't seem to be going downhill. Many of them have been sitting for a decade or so and look and feel the same as they did when I put them up.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland