The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Default Attaching a saddle nameplate...

I think I might rather stick a fork in my eye.

I finally bought a saddle nameplate. However I had no idea what a pain in the butt they are to attach as I have never done it (and now I realize just why I have been terrified of the task and never bought one to begin with) So... in the process I have already bent 3 nails. And today, I had to call Smartpak for yet another set of replacement nails since they only sent me 2 replacement nails the first time.

The CS rep advised me against drilling out the pilot holes with a tiny bit. She said she had attached numerous plates over the years with nails by lightly tapping with a cloth over the head of the nail to prevent scratches. So I did just that and not only did I then bend the replacement nail, I but scratched the plate too. I swear I only tap, tap, tapped.

Now I have to figure out how to get the plate off my saddle without adding more scratches to it or scratching my saddle... since I got one nail in all the way and the second nail in 3/4 of the way before it bent.

Any suggestions to make the third time the charm?
    Dreaming in Color

How long are these nails? I've pulled nameplates off saddles (I believe by hand or using the claw on a hammer) and the nails were about 1/4" long--not long enough to bend, I'd think. Is there no saddle shop nearby that can put it on for you? Mine have always been put on by the shop, so I have no advice for you there.

Yeah, I'm the type who takes it to the saddle shop. Not worth the time and aggravation to save a couple dollars. I'm just gonna muck it up, tho.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by OTTBs View Post
    How long are these nails? I've pulled nameplates off saddles (I believe by hand or using the claw on a hammer) and the nails were about 1/4" long--not long enough to bend, I'd think.\
    Yep, they are brass about 3/4 inch in length. And yes, they do bend... apparently quite easily, unless my saddle has an unusually hard tree.

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    Yeah, I'm the type who takes it to the saddle shop. Not worth the time and aggravation to save a couple dollars. I'm just gonna muck it up, tho.
    I am relatively new to the area and I've been told the only saddlers around are a couple hours south near the horse park. I'd rather try myself than have a potentially equally clueless sales rep at the local tack store scratch my saddle.

I've built my own tack locker and trunk, I thought it wouldn't be THIS difficult to tap in a couple of small nails.

Maybe I will just take it up to the Estes Park horse show next weekend when I go to watch. Surely there is a mobile saddler up there...
    Dreaming in Color

1. Position the plate on the back of the cantle and mark where the holes will be.

2. Take the plate away and push a small awl into the cantle where the marks
    for the the holes are. If you don't have an awl, use a SMALL but long finishng nail
    and a hammer to make the holes. The nail should be a bit smaller around
    than the brass nails for the plate.

3. Reposition the plate and tap the brass nails into the pre-made holes.

(Brass is too soft a metal to tap into most trees unless you're really really really careful.)
    Last edited by Hej; Jul. 20, 2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Quote Originally Posted by drmgncolor View Post
    Yep, they are brass about 3/4 inch in length. And yes, they do bend... apparently quite easily, unless my saddle has an unusually hard tree.
    My last new saddle had a synthetic tree. Previously I had only owned dressage saddles with wood trees so it was easy. The synthetic one had to be drilled. I had the barn guy do it, but he was a long-time head groom for a BNT and knew everything about saddles.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I let my local tack shop do it, they don't even charge if you buy the plate from them, in fact they don't charge even if you didn't buy the plate from them.