The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle Fit

Trying a Duett Close Contact on my horse. I'm surprised by how well it seems to fit. No bridging! I've ridden in it 3 times - 2 times I got him sweaty (once with the pads, once with no pads) - both times his sweat pattern was perfectly even with a long straight dry patch on his spine. Any thoughts from the pics?
    Thanks

www.photobucket.com/duettsaddle
    Christine
    [I]Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans- John Lennon

What's the fill in the panels?
    I'd like to see a flatter,broader panel shape BUT if this is wool, it may just settle into that shape (ask Duett).

I'm a little confused about the extra pads - if saddle fits properly, you want to use minimal pads.

I believe you said elsewhere that horse is out of shape etc, so if you're going to fit him up so that he loses weight, gains muscle, then take this into consideration when choosing your saddle.

Yes, they are wool panels, so they should settle a bit or I can have a saddle fitter out to resahpe them a bit too.
    Due to his back injury from years ago and tendency to get sore, I've just always used the Ogilvy half pad to give him extra cush. This was recommended by the County rep and my trainer.
    Christine

Duett saddles, oddly, are made for propane-tank horses, yet they ALWAYS have those super crazy steeply angled rear panels. I never understood that.

The rear panels, from side to side, should be FLAT - for the types of backs that they specialize in making saddles for.

Yet they are extremly steep/upright and angled. As seen in your photos.

My only guess is that owners and horses are happy with them because the wool flattens out, compresses and settles ALOT. But that said, I just wish they'd make the rear panels alot flatter side to side.

The footprint of the rear panels and how they lay across the back, make weight-bearing area SMALL. (that is, until they squish down)

But even the seam on the panel is very steep.

I tried a Duett on my Morgan and found the same thing with the rear panels.

THAT SAID - -many owners and horses seem very happy in them. Get your fitter to re-flock or distribute that wool in the rear and just ride in it - should flatten out, if you are otherwise happy.

See? This is my flat backed Morgan, with the Duett on. Funky rear panels!!

BTW - love your horse!!! What breed is he?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Yeah, I was concerned about the steep panels too, but when I sat in them they really squished down flat and his sweat pattern back there shows a large weight-bearing area. Hopefully it will even keep improving as it's worn down / re-fit! Otherwise he seems really happy in it, so I think I'll give it a go for a while. I can get it for a steal, so I should be able to re-sell it if for some reason it doesn't work down the road.
    Thanks for the compliment on my horse He's a very chubby Hannoverian.
    Christine

Quote Originally Posted by ckaiser707 View Post
    Yeah, I was concerned about the steep panels too, but when I sat in them they really squished down flat and his sweat pattern back there shows a large weight-bearing area. Hopefully it will even keep improving as it's worn down / re-fit! Otherwise he seems really happy in it, so I think I'll give it a go for a while. .
    That's the important part
    You do want to allow the wool panels to settle "naturally" rather than having a fitter remove & then refill - send us a new photo in a few months (depending how many hours you ride).

PS how do you feel about your fit in the saddle - flap looks a bit short for your leg & you look to be sitting higher in the cantle than I'd like ...

It's actually really comfortable. I agree that the seat is probably a little small, however it doesn't feel small if that makes sense. It's doesn't hit me in the behind or cause me to double bounce, etc. I love the short flap - I usually either special order a short flap or have it modified on a saddle after the fact so that's great. If I was still jumping / riding seriously I would definitely pay the money to get a new one a size up (or get another custom saddle), but since I just do light riding and this guy is retired, it'll do the trick. I feel really secure in it and it doesn't get in my way
    Christine

Looks like it is going to be too wide for this horse once the flocking settles and it also looks too small for the rider.

It looks much too small for the rider, you're almost sitting on the pommel, have no space behind your butt and your knees are sticking out over the front.

Quote Originally Posted by ckaiser707 View Post
    since I just do light riding and this guy is retired, it'll do the trick. I feel really secure in it and it doesn't get in my way
    Then he's likely not going to change shape too much & the saddle should be fine - if you actually think you'll do much canter, then check the wither clearance while cantering.

Wow, the back of the panel really looks like it's digging into his back.