The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default String girths? Do you use?

Do anyone of you use a string girth?

I remember them from the '60s and '70s, but don't see them much anymore... is there a reason they've faded from popular use?

Also hear good things about mohair girths. I'm asking b/c I would like to keep my horse as comfy as possible, so am looking to the past to see if the materials from then are still useful...
    (x-posted from dressage forum)

You don't see them much any more because they are ugly and out of fashion, however, they are very comfortable for the horse so if you like them by all means use them. They are most popular for use on very sensitive horses I think.

There are some people on these forums who use string and mohair girths, I'm sure one will respond soon.

I don't think they are ugly at all. Dover sells a brown Ovation mohair girth that looks really good on my chestnuts. My horses love them. Don't have a show picture because I just started using them.

cyberbay is right though, they were popular in the 60's. When my current trainer questioned my taste in girths, I told her I was being sentimental. Here is me in the 60's. Not sure I like the white on a brown horse anymore though!

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...6_810587_o.jpg

Complete with TB horse, rust breeches, egg butt snaffle, short boots, Stubben saddle with thin cotton pad, and I bet I have a paisley choker on!
    Last edited by ToTheNines; Jul. 22, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
    friend of bar.ka

I don't think they are terribly ugly, but I didn't think they would be comfortable....(?)

I like using elastic ended girths with sheepskin. It seems like I have always managed to have sensitive skin and girth-y horses.

The sheepskin and the elastic makes them happy.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Wink

I need a girth with elastic on at least one end. Even then I have trouble getting my girth tight enough, and always drive my coach and DH crazy by jumping around with a loose one.... haven't had a saddle slip yet though....

I also like a leather girth that I can clean after every use.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

Quote Originally Posted by ElementFarm View Post
    I need a girth with elastic on at least one end. Even then I have trouble getting my girth tight enough, and always drive my coach and DH crazy by jumping around with a loose one.... haven't had a saddle slip yet though....

I also like a leather girth that I can clean after every use.
    I like leather girths best too, but if you are having trouble getting your girth tight enough, have you tried a Professionals Choice or other synthetic or neoprene one? Those are non-slip and don't have to be tightened as much as other girths.

Not to sideline the OP, but you can avoid having to make your girth so tight if you use an Ecogold pad. They are wonderful.
    friend of bar.ka

I LOVE string girths. They are probably the most comfortable girth available for horses.

Personally, I like that they don't have elastic ends. Way too many people using elastic-end girths have them too tight.

Don't feel anything either way about the girth. Love the rest of the picture!
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Default String girth

DD's part TB pony goes in a string girth. Her armpits and elbows are sensitive and we tried conventional leather girths and fabric/fleece girths and she would always end up with rubs. She's schools in a string girth, shows the jumpers in a string girth and when she's doing the hunters, we put the leather girth on right before she goes in the ring. The Dover Ovation girth is the one we use. And as a bonus, you can throw it in the washer!

I like string girths in the summer because they seem cooler. I worry with the synthetic ones that they don't give at all or have any stretchiness, so I usually look for mohair, which I was told breathes a little better.

Love string girths. I used to ride a bratty pony that looked for any excuse to act up. String girth took away any girth-related reasons to be bad because it was comfortable for him, didn't rub, and I couldn't crank it up.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Back in the 60s and prior, there were not so many options, synthetics that actually looked good and worked were non exsistent. That happened about mid to late 90s and elastic ends were not really out there until after that. Think I went to them about 2002 or 3.

Those old white string girths were, IIRC, cotton and hard to keep clean. They were more comfortable for the horse compared to other options available at that time but I think you can get that with all the synthetics, elastic ends, improved buckles etc.

Best one I ever used was the Pro Choice neoprene with double elastic and I showed AA Hunters in that from about 2004 on when they got the appearance to where it was not distracting. A little chaffing in very hot weather but most girths will also do that-even my $$$$ Beval leather fancy one.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    I don't think they are ugly at all. Dover sells a brown Ovation mohair girth that looks really good on my chestnuts. My horses love them. Don't have a show picture because I just started using them.

cyberbay is right though, they were popular in the 60's. When my current trainer questioned my taste in girths, I told her I was being sentimental. Here is me in the 60's. Not sure I like the white on a brown horse anymore though!

LOVE the picture!

I have a lot of girths and I have a string girth and use it because it's comfortable for my fatty. I don't give a * what people think though .

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    I LOVE string girths. They are probably the most comfortable girth available for horses.
    Out of curiosity, how do you know this? Did the horses of the world band together and tell you?

Just seems like a peculiar comment to make. I can see how it might work best for some horses (w/ girth or sensitivity issues) but I'm puzzled as to how the conclusion that they are the most comfortable girths was reached. Personally, I've had my mare in neoprene, fleece, leather, and leather with a cotton cover, and she's never reacted any differently to any of them.

Perhaps I should ask her what he favourite is? Two stomps for the leather...

Does anyone know where they can be purchased? My gelding still gets rubs with his fleece girth. I've tried everything and this is about my last option... gotta love sensitive horses.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post

Love that photo!
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Most of the old "string" girths were mohair, not the synthetic (polyester?) of today. Mohair is VERRRRRY comfortable for the horse because it's stretchy, absorbent, and SOFT. It's also verrrry grippy, so it doesn't slide around and RUB the horse. The grippiness (because it's absorbent, and not SLICK, as synthetic and leather are) is why western ropers use mohair. They want their saddles to stay PUT!!!

BEAUTIFUL picture!