The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    What would amuse me, if it were actually funny, is that Karen said she likes to "utilize all the latest technology" ... how's that top hat working out for her??

....she's still alive, therefore it has saved her life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    Oh we had a rep at a local event too. I asked if we were going to see any data that proved they improved rider safety...and the rep says "well clearly the safest thing to do is just not fall off in the first place".

WOW, thanks tips.
    Not even so sure about that. A few years ago, I managed to catch myself from a very near fall after a remarkably athletic spook/spin. I ended up with a couple of sore muscles and couldn't walk without a limp for a few weeks! I was probably more sore than after my most recent actual fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Backstage View Post
    Not even so sure about that. A few years ago, I managed to catch myself from a very near fall after a remarkably athletic spook/spin. I ended up with a couple of sore muscles and couldn't walk without a limp for a few weeks! I was probably more sore than after my most recent actual fall.
    I've done that too!! I couldn't walk for two days lol

I went flying off my pony yesterday and didn't even have dirt marks on my clothes.

I haven't been bucked off a horse like that -- it was a spectacular buck, I didn't stand a chance -- in at least a dozen years.

I was, however, wearing my old Flex Rider conventional vest. How come no one ever credits these vests with doing their job?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    SmartPak was perpetuating their misleading advertising recently too. Very disappointing.

My favorite Point-Two moment was at a show last year, when one of the reps at their booth "assured" me that "USEA is going to make air vests mandatory." She did some fairly entertaining back-sliding when I pointed out that I was on the Board of USEA at the time (and an officer), and was pretty darn sure I would've heard of such a proposal had there been any basis for her statement...
    LOL. Not to mention that USEA doesn't make/maintain the rules anyway.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Honestly, if I were out there competing again, I'd be perfectly happy in a traditional vest after seeing quite a few falls where I'm pretty sure the *pop* of the vest spooked the horse and just made the situation worse (saw at least one of these just this past weekend... ).

Definitely not a believer... I'd prefer my horse not have any more reason to think "RUN AWAY!!!" when I fall off.
    “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    I hate their ads and just shook mine at this. I get questions all the time about when I am going to get an air vest and I just tell them until they stop the sleezy ads and give out the evidence.
    Just wondering... if someone were interested in an air vest for the legitimate reasons it might be helpful BUT NOT interested in supporting P2... I haven't run across any of the sleazy marketing stuff from the HitAir people. Anyone else?

Not to mention that the HA vests don't look so much like matte trash bags on course...

Another question. I haven't competed since 2008, since before the time of air vests. When I first started competing in 1985, we didn't wear vests. I was happy. Rarely got heat stroke. When I came back to competing in 2002, I found the regular vests VERY hot (went through a Tipperary and a CO--both hot). How do people not over-heat wearing both a traditional and an air vest?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    BNRs get their vests free, I'd bet the farm on, and might get money for their endorsements.

If they had to pay the almost one K that the vests cost the rest of the world, they might not find them quite as attractive.
    Not only that, but endorsements, particularly quotes about SAFETY, can be legally responsive. I would caution any upper level rider doing any sort of safety product endorsement to not only read the contract, but get a legal opinion. (That's what agents and lawyers are for.)
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    Oh we had a rep at a local event too. I asked if we were going to see any data that proved they improved rider safety...and the rep says "well clearly the safest thing to do is just not fall off in the first place".

WOW, thanks tips.
    *gasp*
    You mean you're not supposed to fall off? What have I been doing wrong all these years...
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    I went flying off my pony yesterday and didn't even have dirt marks on my clothes.

I haven't been bucked off a horse like that -- it was a spectacular buck, I didn't stand a chance -- in at least a dozen years.

I was, however, wearing my old Flex Rider conventional vest. How come no one ever credits these vests with doing their job?
    Oh my! Sounds like you are o.k....thank goodness....wow....I agree. Ouch. But glad you had it on.
    Reminder. I'll add mine today on Lucky, as we are trotting poles for the first steps to starting over fences!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    SmartPak was perpetuating their misleading advertising recently too. Very disappointing.

My favorite Point-Two moment was at a show last year, when one of the reps at their booth "assured" me that "USEA is going to make air vests mandatory." She did some fairly entertaining back-sliding when I pointed out that I was on the Board of USEA at the time (and an officer), and was pretty darn sure I would've heard of such a proposal had there been any basis for her statement...
    Given that you don't even need an ASTM/SEI certified vest...

Also, my mare spooks at the most ridiculous things. I can't imagine hovering next to her mid-fall and then having the air vest pop. With my luck she'd spook INTO me and I'd get trampled. But since I'm too poor to actually compete and therefore too poor to afford an air vest, the point is rather moot.

Quote Originally Posted by baxtersmom View Post
    Just wondering... if someone were interested in an air vest for the legitimate reasons it might be helpful BUT NOT interested in supporting P2... I haven't run across any of the sleazy marketing stuff from the HitAir people. Anyone else?

Not to mention that the HA vests don't look so much like matte trash bags on course...
    And HitAirs are half the price. They have been around alot longer too, being used by motorcycle riders.

I remember back in the 80s when my dressage trainer at the time insisted that a helmet could break your neck. No one in that barn wore one. They swore that they were useless and could cause serious harm.

hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by vanraf View Post
    Honestly, if I were out there competing again, I'd be perfectly happy in a traditional vest after seeing quite a few falls where I'm pretty sure the *pop* of the vest spooked the horse and just made the situation worse (saw at least one of these just this past weekend... ).

Definitely not a believer... I'd prefer my horse not have any more reason to think "RUN AWAY!!!" when I fall off.
    This is one of the things that would concern me most about the way the air vests work. Or to have it prematurely deploy if a horse gets a little "exuberant" over a fence.

I hate playing the role of devil's advocate but I've seen many vests go off and the horses haven't bolted. Mine has gone off three times, twice because I got off without unhooking, and once because I fell off. This happened on three different horses. None of them bolted off. And two of the three were young uncertain greenies. It's interesting because I would think they would bolt... and they didn't.

Of course, this is just my personal experience so I certainly cannot generalize to all horses.

Of course only some horses will be spooked by a hissing canister deploying. But NO horse will be spooked by a hissing canister that is not there.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    Another question. I haven't competed since 2008, since before the time of air vests. When I first started competing in 1985, we didn't wear vests. I was happy. Rarely got heat stroke. When I came back to competing in 2002, I found the regular vests VERY hot (went through a Tipperary and a CO--both hot). How do people not over-heat wearing both a traditional and an air vest?

Honestly, it doesn't seem any hotter than wearing just a regular vest...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    ...endorsements, particularly quotes about SAFETY, can be legally responsive. I would caution any upper level rider doing any sort of safety product endorsement to not only read the contract, but get a legal opinion. (That's what agents and lawyers are for.)
    This is what struck me, too. I'm fairly certain that Boyd intended "save my neck" in the figurative, colloquial sense rather than the literal, but you'd think that either his lawyers or P2's (or both) would be able to see where this claim might be interpreted literally, causing major litigation down the road. A multi-million dollar settlement could quickly negate whatever uptick in sales Boyd's glowing endorsement might have spur.

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    Honestly, it doesn't seem any hotter than wearing just a regular vest...
    I wore my first ever XC vest on my first ever XC excursion in September on a 100°*day. Yeah, I was hot. But I don't think I was any hotter than if I wasn't wearing one.

Pic proof!: http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...42611048_n.jpg

I'm not sure what kind of vest this is. I grabbed it from a friend (who owns the mare). It's a little big, but I kind of jimmy'd it to fit. I did take off the shoulder pads ... probably endangering the chance of a broken shoulder or something, but I felt like a storm trooper.