The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation PointTwo continues misleading advertising

Opened up an article on EN today, and saw this latest banner ad from Point2:

http://i48.tinypic.com/r924om.png

It says, "The Point Two air vest saved my neck. The next morning everything ached on my body except the areas the Point Two vest covered. It's important to have a Point Two Vest protecting you." (After a rotational fall) -Boyd Martin

Figuratively, it saved his neck -- most likely not literally.

Also, adding the "after a rotational fall" is unnecessary, IMO -- it's like they're trying to show that because one person walked away from a rotational fall while wearing a Point Two vest, then everyone will.
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

I am not a fan of Point Two and loathe their marketing tactics. This is just one of their classic techniques - use direct quotes from riders, who "believe" it saved them, rather than scientific evidence. (Did you see the one from Karen O'Connor from the last couple of weeks?)
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I noticed their ads on EN too. Kind of disappointing that the top riders say things like "I would never get on a horse without one".

It would be great if we could get some cold hard scientific proof of what these things do.

FrittSkitt, thanks for posting this -- so I didn't have to.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    I am not a fan of Point Two and loathe their marketing tactics. This is just one of their classic techniques - use direct quotes from riders, who "believe" it saved them, rather than scientific evidence. (Did you see the one from Karen O'Connor from the last couple of weeks?)
    Agreed.

What would amuse me, if it were actually funny, is that Karen said she likes to "utilize all the latest technology" ... how's that top hat working out for her??
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

1 members found this post helpful.

I hate their ads and just shook mine at this. I get questions all the time about when I am going to get an air vest and I just tell them until they stop the sleezy ads and give out the evidence.

A girl that is new to the barn said where she was eventing before it was made mandatory by the trainer to have one when doing xc. I wonder if he/she was sponsered by them. Now she is passing on all this air vest saves lives junk and I just keep my mouth closed.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Anyone see this post on COTH where the air vest deploying may have caused an injury:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...g-rebecca-farm

Quote Originally Posted by FrittSkritt View Post
    Figuratively, it saved his neck -- most likely not literally.
    That's pretty much the same way he 'saved' Neville from 'slaughter'.

It's very disappointing to me that these riders are willing to trade so crassly on their own credibility.

What would amuse me, if it were actually funny, is that Karen said she likes to "utilize all the latest technology" ... how's that top hat working out for her??
    LOLLLLL

SO true....top and air vest...saving lives at events round the world!

To be fair to Karen, here is the quote used on the P2 site:
    Karen O'Connor
    I like to utilize all of the cutting edge technology when I go cross-country," said Karen O'Connor. "I can't even imagine anymore going cross-country without my Point Two vest; I just love it.
    Blugal

To be fair to Karen, here is the quote used on the P2 site:

You naughty minx! Omitting "when I go cross country" does change the entire tone of her quote with regards to a piss take about toppers in dressage.

(It was still funny)

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    You naughty minx!
    Best compliment I've had all day
    Blugal

Personally, I'm not so bothered by the endorsements that are clearly opinions. Karen O'Connor's ad used that language, and a few others have as well. I've reproduced the testimonials on their site from professional riders below.

KOC, WFP, Jennie Brannigan, Sharon White and Mary King were all pretty careful in how they worded their support. If Sharon White feels like she could fall out of an airplane, and end up ok...I don't take issue with her saying so.

In my view, the problematic ones are Boyd's ("vest saved my neck"), Lucinda Green's ("he plusses surely far outweigh any minuses that people may find." and Graeme Thom's ("Point Two has improved safety in three-day eventing and the safety of the Canadian eventing team riders."). I suppose in the absence of any actual data, Point Two was more than happy that these riders/representatives were willing to make these statements.

Personally, I haven't entirely ruled it out. If I was competing at the upper levels, I'd have some pretty big concerns given the risk of rotational falls. My concern has always been what happens if you sustain a spine injury in a fall, and then the vest deploys once the horse has gotten off of you. Won`t that add pressure that could make the situation worse? For the lower levels, given the lower risk of that sort of fall, I might be persuaded that it would help prevent some more minor injuries...as long as I was ok with the noise and the claustrophobic feeling of it when deployed.

From the Point Two website:

Boyd Martin
    After a rotational fall, Boyd Martin said: "The Point Two air vest saved my neck. The next morning everything ached on my body except that areas the Point Two vest covered. It's important to have a Point Two protecting you." Boyd Martin recently added, "I love the new Hybrid – I feel like Superman in it!"

Karen O'Connor
    I like to utilize all of the cutting edge technology when I go cross-country," said Karen O'Connor. "I can't even imagine anymore going cross-country without my Point Two vest; I just love it.

Jennie Brannigan
    I am very happy with my new P2-RS Hybrid vest," said Jennie Brannigan. "It is so comfortable and a lot more streamlined than wearing a regular safety vest with the ProAir on top. The improved design is more professional looking, and it is much more convenient to zip up just one vest. I really liked how it felt to wear at my competitions this fall."

Sharon White
    For me Eventing is all about confidence and when I have my Point Two on I feel like I can be thrown out of an airplane and be okay.

Mary King
    I wouldn't want to go cross-country without my Point Two.

William Fox-Pitt
    Wearing my Point Two Air Jacket has become second nature when riding cross-country at any level.

Champion eventer Lucinda Green
    I like the idea of instantly having an airbag around me to protect me. The plusses surely far outweigh any minuses that people may find.

(P2-RS) Surely this next step must be a bonus for safety and — if we are concerned by such things — elegance.

Graeme Thom, Canadian eventing team chef d'equipe
    Point Two has improved safety in three-day eventing and the safety of the Canadian eventing team riders. We are pleased to highly commend Point Two's dedication to both our senior and young rider teams and are highly appreciative of their multi-generational effort.

SmartPak was perpetuating their misleading advertising recently too. Very disappointing.

My favorite Point-Two moment was at a show last year, when one of the reps at their booth "assured" me that "USEA is going to make air vests mandatory." She did some fairly entertaining back-sliding when I pointed out that I was on the Board of USEA at the time (and an officer), and was pretty darn sure I would've heard of such a proposal had there been any basis for her statement...

3 members found this post helpful.

Wasn't Karen the one who popped off over her horse's head, landed on her feet and then while trying to steady her horse he triggered her vest, spooked backwards, fell off the obstacle, landed on another and broke ribs?

Or am I "misremembering"?
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

BNRs get their vests free, I'd bet the farm on, and might get money for their endorsements.

If they had to pay the almost one K that the vests cost the rest of the world, they might not find them quite as attractive.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    Wasn't Karen the one who popped off over her horse's head, landed on her feet and then while trying to steady her horse he triggered her vest, spooked backwards, fell off the obstacle, landed on another and broke ribs?

Or am I "misremembering"?
    I believe so, on Mandiba.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    SmartPak was perpetuating their misleading advertising recently too. Very disappointing.

My favorite Point-Two moment was at a show last year, when one of the reps at their booth "assured" me that "USEA is going to make air vests mandatory." She did some fairly entertaining back-sliding when I pointed out that I was on the Board of USEA at the time (and an officer), and was pretty darn sure I would've heard of such a proposal had there been any basis for her statement...
    Oh we had a rep at a local event too. I asked if we were going to see any data that proved they improved rider safety...and the rep says "well clearly the safest thing to do is just not fall off in the first place".

WOW, thanks tips.