The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default String girths? Do you use?

Do anyone of you use a string girth?

I remember them from the '60s and '70s, but don't see them much anymore... is there a reason they've faded from popular use?

Also hear good things about mohair girths. I'm asking b/c I would like to keep my horse as comfy as possible, so am looking to the past to see if the materials from then are still useful...

Thanks for any info...!

I have used string girths back when I jumped. Found them handy, non irritating,

I have used mohair dressage girths, and find them just fine. Easy maintenance.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I hate them! Have seen more then a few cause permanent scarring and galls - the horse's skin pushed through the string, really ugly

It's the only thing I can use on my Arab mare. It has never left her a gall or rub, and I find that they provide a nice amount of stretch, along with less bulk. They wash up easily and over time become quite soft. She is extremely sensitive and thin-skinned in her girth area, and the really expensive leather girths irritate her far more than a string girth ever has.

My only issue, is finding one small enough to fit my mare. I need a 20". I have used the mohair girths as well, and they work just fine. They also wash up nicely.

If I could find them in a small enough size for my mare (new saddle has longer billets than the old one), then that would be all that I would use.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

http://catalog.windridertack.com/bro...group_id=85544

Try this place, they make them to order. I love mohair string girths, none of my tender horses have had problems.

I forget where I got mine, but you could ask about this on the endurance and trail forum here. Lots of endurance riders use them.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

I use them and have had fewer 'girthy' horses or other problems since making the switch back to what worked so well when I was growing up. I prefer the long girth/short billet combination fwiw.

To each their own though.

Thanks Bank of Dad for the link...I keep hoping to find something for a little less $$. I may just have to break down and purchase one of those.

I'm probably going to have to shorten my billet straps. When they are ready to be replaced, I'll have them shortened, then it will be a bit easier to find a dressage girth.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

I have a county logic girth as well as the treviera cord girth, nice to have options, and the cord is cheap as well as easy to clean.

I have one for one of my horses. He use to get galled with all other types of girths but never has with a string girth. I haven't tried mohair but would if the opportunity arose.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

I love my string girths, whether modern synthetic on traditional mohair. Long girth, short billets for me, but I have used a short mohair with long billets in a skin-sensitive horse successfully when that was the only saddle that fit him. You can find them on ebay or from Stubben. I don't know where else.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

I love my mohair string girth and won't use anything else !

Quote Originally Posted by Tasker View Post
    I use them and have had fewer 'girthy' horses or other problems since making the switch back to what worked so well when I was growing up. I prefer the long girth/short billet combination fwiw.

To each their own though.
    This.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

I have a mohair dressage girth and absolutely love it. I got it from Wind Rider Tack as well...made by Montana Cincha (they do a lot of western girths).

I use a string girth. Have several fancy, expensive leather girths, but find that the string girth contours the best of all to the horse's barrel. Almost exclusively have I had Arabians, but it seems to work as nicely on the half-Andulusian that I am riding right now.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Thanks for the reminder!
    I have an ancient - circa 1980s - string girth somewhere.

I never found it bothered my sensitive thinskinned TB. Just stopped using it for "fashion" reasons.

It may be just the ticket for my Big Guy, who needs a 28 dressage girth and I'm making do with a 26 so the buckles bother us both.
    Hope my antique hasn't rotted from disuse......
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I use a mohair girth - got it from longridersgear.com. Washes up nice, has never galled my Arab, and tho he is a bit cinchy, he's the least cinchy with the mohair girth than anything else.

http://www.longridersgear.com/catalo...roducts_id=493

Stock girths as short as 18" and they say they can get custom sizes. Mine is 2 years old and has worn well.

They also have a dressage contour girth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bank of Dad View Post
    http://catalog.windridertack.com/bro...group_id=85544

Try this place, they make them to order. I love mohair string girths, none of my tender horses have had problems.

I forget where I got mine, but you could ask about this on the endurance and trail forum here. Lots of endurance riders use them.
    All righty, that website needs a serious update. BUT the stuff looks awesome. I presume they make a long english girth, but I can't find it. But, yes, someday I gotta get me some of that high end custom goodness!