The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ticks

So my horse recently moved to a new pasture (never had problems with ticks before, but this field has a lot of trees and is basically tick heaven) Anyways, I pulled about four ticks off of him yesterday and I am concerned that I have been finding so many. I hear you can frontline horses like you can cats/dogs? Is this safe? Any alternative suggestions besides just pulling them off every time I go out to the barn?

You will always need to check for ticks. Too many diseases not to--nothing will prevent them 100%

I like to use the Repel X lotion to rub into the groin areas---I find that helps a lot. I just moved my ponies too and need to pick up a bottle.

I have had really good luck with the spot-on treatment. As long as I do it every two weeks she stays untouched. My poor mare kept getting horrible reactions to ticks, and she also lives in tick heaven...

Good luck!

Thumbs up Frontline

I used Frontline on my mare - with my vet's blessing - earlier this spring when the ticks were just horrible.

Per my vet, I used 1 large dog breed dose once/week. I've heard of people doing 2 doses every 2 weeks. I liked my vet's idea - 1 dose/week - because it enabled me to start small and make sure my horse didn't have a reaction. (She is chestnut, after all!)

I was actually using the generic Fiproguard, which is much cheaper. I have heard that it's been pulled from the shelves due to a law suit, but I think Pet Armor - another generic - is still available.

Personally, I didn't find anything else effective against ticks. She went from 1-2/night and 5-8 with every trail ride, to NONE. It was awesome and I will definitely use it again when the ticks come back out.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Agreed, my equine vet also told me to use spray on Frontline and that has worked extremely well. I spray wherever ticks would bite or migrate, so all four legs, under jaw, on chest, near sheath etc. Equispot was useless for me.

I'm now using Pyranha fly spray which has permethrin in it, which is an extremely good tick repellant/killer and I've noticed fewer ticks and therefore no need to use the frontline. This is my first year with Pyranha so need to go through the fall when the ticks are more active to see if the effect still holds.

I second Spot on. It works really well for me when it's really bad here, and a lot cheaper than Frontline.

I've always used permethrin for fly spray. It's never helped for ticks.
    Last edited by Beentheredonethat; Jul. 20, 2012 at 03:25 PM.

Fly spray with PERMETHRIN has worked great for me. Ultrashield, or the stuff in the bright orange bottle.
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Quote Originally Posted by leahandpie View Post
    Fly spray with PERMETHRIN has worked great for me. Ultrashield, or the stuff in the bright orange bottle.
    THIS. I have used Ultrashield for a good 12 yrs. Ever since i took a group trail ride and all the horses came back with ticks. it works, i have come back with DEAD ticks on my horses legs and they were not embedded, just holding on with their legs..

Default I Third Permetherin!

Works great against ticks around here. My horse's pasture boarders a cattle pasture / sheep / goats etc, and ticks have always been an issue ... until I started using Permetherin.

I used to find a few a day, but once I started applying Permetherin, I didn't find any.. none at all. While the other horses were still coming in with ticks.

I buy this stuff:

http://www.scs-mall.com/Permectrin-I...roductinfo/V2/

10% concentrate. Just mix with water - or I will mix with an herbal fly repellant. CHEAP around $10 at my local feed store and makes over 6 gallons of spray. One bottle lasts all summer for me.
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Per my vets advice, we Frontline the horses. She suggests 2 large dog frontlines every month. It works AMAZINGLY well. Our horses had multiple ticks every day and now have 1-2 monthly.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    Agreed, my equine vet also told me to use spray on Frontline and that has worked extremely well. I spray wherever ticks would bite or migrate, so all four legs, under jaw, on chest, near sheath etc. Equispot was useless for me.

I'm now using Pyranha fly spray which has permethrin in it, which is an extremely good tick repellant/killer and I've noticed fewer ticks and therefore no need to use the frontline. This is my first year with Pyranha so need to go through the fall when the ticks are more active to see if the effect still holds.
    I use Pyranha and no ticks, also klls flies dead.

Quote Originally Posted by babyeventer23 View Post
    I have had really good luck with the spot-on treatment. As long as I do it every two weeks she stays untouched. My poor mare kept getting horrible reactions to ticks, and she also lives in tick heaven...

Good luck!

I've had good luck with the spot on treatments this year also. I'm using EquiSpot. I also use fly spray on top of it (a mixture of Endure, Flicks, and permethrin) so he's probably radioactive but it's better than all of the huge, oozing welts he gets from the ticks and big-headed biting flies. I've gone from an average of pulling off 50+ ticks (no joke) a year down to about 5-10 so far this year.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by leahandpie View Post
    This, and spray it on the dock of the tail, too--a favorite place for the ticks to walk up the hair and latch on. Also, brush down the legs and tail after every ride! Don't forget to check yourself, too!

I wear permethrin-treated clothing myself every time I go to the barn. (InsectShield is the brand). I've had Lyme 4 times and I'm doing everything I can not to get bit again!

Best thing since sliced bread is freedom 45 spot treatment for equines. Great great stuff. No more ticks on my boys as well as I don't have to use fly spray anymore at all! Will never go back
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I had problems with tick bites in my first horse's tail
    leaving oozing sores. Vet suggested that I get kitten
    flea powder and "powder his tail" which I did. End
    of problem.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Ticks suck. No really they do.

I tried the spot on stuff for the first time today. I'm looking forward to seeing how things go over the next week or two. The stuff stinks though! I hope the smell is gone by tomorrow, because my horse really reeked today after I did the first treatment. lol.

Guinea fowl will greatly decrease the tick population.

A huge vote for frontline spray from me.

I was pulling off 20 ticks/ day off my gray mare when I first moved her home. Put the frontline spray where the ticks tend to go (udders, armptis, neck, chest) and that solved my problem. I reapply when I start to see the nasty buggers and voila! Same with my dog.

I like that I can guage how much they need and can decide where it goes.

Needless to say, I've pulled more ticks off myself in the past 2 months than I have my horses or my dog.