The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Um...What is wrong with this horse??

Is it just me...or does this horse look odd? Bad angle? Weird growthy stage?

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1217631
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

He was foaled in 2005 so if its not an old pic its not a growthy thing. Just not a very attractive movement caught on film for advertising a stallion.

Well...does his neck look extraordinarily long to you and his legs short? I"m just curious, not trying to be snarky really. I thought the same thing that it was not the best photo to use to advertise a stallion!

Well, he's 7 so I doubt if it's a growth stage. Just another example of poor advertising using a crappy picture. I can excuse it (slightly) when it's one of the free advertising sites, but when you have to pay for the ad you'd think one would put a little more effort into it
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Well...does his neck look extraordinarily long to you and his legs short?
    I thought the same thing, but it might also be the angle of the picture. Looks like he's "banking a turn". Why don't you email and ask for a conformation shot
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Giraffes are always spotted, didn't you know that? LOL My best guess, a bad angle and someone who doesn't know how to properly advertise a horse.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

He's a typical appaloosa of today. Badly conformed, sicklehocked, straight shoudler and straight pasterns and very poor cannon bones. The neck is set high on his wither, and there is no back to balance his movement. Very typical appy. Poor horse, and poorly bred. I don't care about the color. He shouldn't be bred. The neck is so badly attached to his wither, which doesn't actually exist, that his balance cannot be managed. Bad breeding. Bad and unfortuante horse. What more can you say?

well,you could say this: 17 hands?? I doubt it. This horse in person might be a different horse than we see here, but not by much. If this horse is more than 16 hand, I'd eat my hat.
    They snooze, they munch hay -- oh the abuse! The humanity!!! Won't someone think of the children! - rhymeswithfizz

I agree--incredibly bad conformation, and I don't think he's banking a turn. His legs are so short and his neck...ugh. How odd, as the Wap line really is quite nice and you'd think the addition of a Holsteiner would create a better horse.

I am totally uninformed when it comes to conformation, but I would say neck is set high and long, short back... funny looking horse.

Since we're on the subject of conformation. Can I pick the brains of the experts here? Where can I learn more about conformation? Books, methods, mentors? I've always been interested in confirmation, but never had an opportunity to learn more about it.

Thanks.

Wow, he's VERY short-backed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
    He's a typical appaloosa of today. Badly conformed, sicklehocked, straight shoudler and straight pasterns and very poor cannon bones. The neck is set high on his wither, and there is no back to balance his movement. Very typical appy. Poor horse, and poorly bred. I don't care about the color. He shouldn't be bred. The neck is so badly attached to his wither, which doesn't actually exist, that his balance cannot be managed. Bad breeding. Bad and unfortuante horse. What more can you say?

well,you could say this: 17 hands?? I doubt it. This horse in person might be a different horse than we see here, but not by much. If this horse is more than 16 hand, I'd eat my hat.
    To be fair, he's not a full Appaloosa. He's half Holsteiner according to his advertisement. His sire is Wap Spotted who I wouldn't say it built like your typical Appaloosa: http://www.wapspotted.com/html/photo4.html

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    To be fair, he's not a full Appaloosa. He's half Holsteiner according to his advertisement. His sire is Wap Spotted who I wouldn't say it built like your typical Appaloosa: http://www.wapspotted.com/html/photo4.html
    And not even half-holsteiner really. On the dam-line she was only 1/4 Holsteiner by blood. The grand dam was TB and the grand sire on the dam-line was 1/2 Holsteiner/ 1/2 TB. So, really, he's only 1/8th holsteiner by breeding.

But they don't have a decent conformation photo in the gallery page either

OTOH for the stud fee, you might as well go straight to Wap Spotted - I suspect they are more in the business & their LFG is worth something

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    But they don't have a decent conformation photo in the gallery page either

OTOH for the stud fee, you might as well go straight to Wap Spotted - I suspect they are more in the business & their LFG is worth something
    Kind of going on a tangent, but my choice is Wappuzan if I'm breeding to a Wap Spotted son: http://wapuzzan.com/

A bad shoulder combined with a bad neck that ties in all wonky... Throws the whole picture off.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Kind of going on a tangent, but my choice is Wappuzan if I'm breeding to a Wap Spotted son: http://wapuzzan.com/
    Now there's an nice looking boy
    And I'm not even that crazy about Appy's
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

He must get that neck from the warmblood and the TB. Odd how genetics works, isn't it!

He looks like he was made by committee--a blind committee! One long, TB/Warmblood neck, attached to a short, short backed QH/APP, and four short stock horse legs, with a common head thrown in for good measure. Certainly nothing I'd breed to. As I said, the Wap line always seemed to be well put together. This is one oogly horse and nothing that should be reproduced, even for the bargain price of $250.

But you will get krazy kolor out of it!

And possibly a giraffe neck of your very own.

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post
    Now there's an nice looking boy
    And I'm not even that crazy about Appy's
    I had to find that horse's pedigree, I can't believe he isn't even part TB. Lovely.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns